Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-06-2024, 22:03   #1

Boat: 98 Catalina 34
How to protect against theft of items from boat?

Today when I went to my boat, I noticed 2 out of the 4 bow supports of my bimini frame were missing (the 2 inner ones)! The thieves even courteously zipped up the 2 pockets where the bows slide into the bimini canvas! Unbelievable. Last season I had cushions stolen from the cockpit and this was one reason why I moved from that marina. I'm at a new location this season, and here we go again (I always lock up, and never leave anything out).

I have reported this to management, but I don't expect any recovery, nor do I think the thieves will be caught. I am worried that the thieves could come back and take the rest of the bimini frame or the dodger, or the sail covers or even the fenders. Any suggestions on how to protect against this kind of theft?
AndyBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2024, 23:34   #2

Boat: Cruising Catamaran
Re: How to protect against theft of items from boat?

In our marina which is well lit, thieves stole several dyneema halyards, suspicion was live-aboards nearby but no proof, no cameras (at the time). For just the bimini I would consider running rigging wire through all the tubes, swage an eye and padlock. Cutters or grinders will of course make short work of that defense. The other is to put security camera up the mast under spreaders, solar powered wireless ones that come on with human ID software and have siren or flashing light go off, it will report back via internet to your phone and you control from phone and even speak through it. Narrow the pattern to be just your boat or all passers by will trigger it. You can even use as a spreader light!
Tin Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2024, 02:06   #3

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Engrave everything with the boat name.
Tupaia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2024, 06:48   #4

Great ideas! I'll have to do some research about the cameras. Did you install this after the theft from your boat? Did you end up recovering the halyards?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Tin View Post
In our marina which is well lit, thieves stole several dyneema halyards, suspicion was live-aboards nearby but no proof, no cameras (at the time). For just the bimini I would consider running rigging wire through all the tubes, swage an eye and padlock. Cutters or grinders will of course make short work of that defense. The other is to put security camera up the mast under spreaders, solar powered wireless ones that come on with human ID software and have siren or flashing light go off, it will report back via internet to your phone and you control from phone and even speak through it. Narrow the pattern to be just your boat or all passers by will trigger it. You can even use as a spreader light!
Old 26-06-2024, 06:49   #5

Nice simple low-tech idea that I can implement right away, I like it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupaia View Post
Engrave everything with the boat name.
Old 26-06-2024, 06:59   #6

Boat: 35' Alden Design Cutter

Maybe install a camera at the top of your mast. I doubt it would even have to be on, so long as it was visible.
Iron E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2024, 07:07   #7

Boat: 30' Ericson / 42' Golden Star / Yard full of trailer boats

Find it hard to believe that any marina operation in this day does not have camera monitoring of at a minimum the main walkways and entrance.
Turtle Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2024, 07:08   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyBC View Post
Nice simple low-tech idea that I can implement right away, I like it!
Also marking with invisible ink pen would help. The type that shows up under the black light. And perusing the local craigslist for those items. A friend some years back recovered his stolen bicycle that way. The thief even tried to argue that "lots of bikes look the same" until my friend whipped out the pen black light.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2024, 08:00   #9

The yacht club does indeed have cameras, but not in the slips themselves to protect the privacy of members. Cameras only in the club house and the entrances and parking lot. So if the thieves took my bimini pieces and installed on their boat, for example, no cameras would detect this. If however they took the bimini pieces to their car in the parking lot, then yes cameras would capture this. Members and contractors are always going in and out with boat parts though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle Blues View Post
Find it hard to believe that any marina operation in this day does not have camera monitoring of at a minimum the main walkways and entrance.
Old 26-06-2024, 08:02   #10

Great idea about the black light, thanks! I'll also search craigslist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
Also marking with invisible ink pen would help. The type that shows up under the black light. And perusing the local craigslist for those items. A friend some years back recovered his stolen bicycle that way. The thief even tried to argue that "lots of bikes look the same" until my friend whipped out the pen black light.
Old 26-06-2024, 08:24   #11

Boat: 30' Ericson / 42' Golden Star / Yard full of trailer boats

Did management make effort to review security footage? Sometimes it takes a little prodding. Seems someone carrying parts that large would be rather obvious.
I push the issue because of 2 successful identifications of thieves in exactly this type of situation. They had to be shopping for exactly what you had.
Turtle Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2024, 09:49   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Do you have a cousin Vinny or Guido? Have them spend nights aboard.

I agree someone is shopping your boat. Good ideas above. We’ve lived aboard in the Caribbean for eight years and never had anything taken.

Have you walked the docks and yards to look for your stuff on other boats? Look for an identical model
Nicholson58 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2024, 10:47   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyBC View Post
Great ideas! I'll have to do some research about the cameras. Did you install this after the theft from your boat? Did you end up recovering the halyards?
Just put stickers on the boat that it is camera or video monitored
Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2024, 11:19   #14

This motion detecting blink camera turns on a floodlight and snaps a picture that it sends to your cell phone anytime someone gets near. Two year battery. No wires. It will take some fiddling to get it to not turn on the lights when someone is just walking on the dock - or maybe you just tell the marina that if they can’t provide security then you are going to

https://www.amazon.com/All-New-Blink...s%2C194&sr=1-1
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2024, 04:01   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
Also marking with invisible ink pen would help. The type that shows up under the black light...
If the primary advantage, of labeling your possessions, is theft prevention [which I believe], then a highly visible marking would be more discouraging, than a invisible one [useful only for post-theft recovery].

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, rot