Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2008, 20:07   #1
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Angry How to tell when a boatyard is in trouble?

When they go around to all the boats in winter storage....remeasure them and send an adjusted (up) bill.

It is sad that a Searay 30 becomes "35" or a Catalina suddenly grows three feet. Because of an anchor roller and a boarding ladder.

I am not going to post the location where this is going on.....but it does seem to be happening more and more on the Chesapeake
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2008, 20:18   #2

Boat: Newport MKII 30 - Solution
That kinda crapola makes me vote with my feet. . . .
Old 18-02-2008, 20:25   #3
Eternal Member

That, and the Marinas want all your money in advance of the next season.

This is true of the "Property Management" groups that operate marinas for the owner.
Old 19-02-2008, 01:36   #4

Boat: Van de Stadt 34'
If any members are ever in the area, one of our Cork harbour marinas, East Ferry Marina, is owned and operated by one of the gentlemen of the business, who has resisted price increases, (and the inevitable approaches of property developers) to retain a unique haven for yachtsmen. berthing and visiting there is literally half the price of other facilities. That we live in the biggest natural harbour in the world after Sydney and New York makes it even better. When money is the driver, sailing accessibility moves up a rung, and it's harder for genuine entry-level sailors to get going, so credit where credit is due. . . .
Old 19-02-2008, 02:38   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
From Noonsite: http://www.noonsite.com/Countries/Ireland/CorkHarbour

East Ferry Marina (Cobh)
51º 51.8' N x 8º 12.9' W

“This is a secluded marina tucked away up East Passage to the east of Cobh and north of Gold Point. Facilities are adequate but reflect that the owner (George) is a one-man band with a farm to run as well!. Electricity is free and mooring is much cheaper that at Crosshaven. The pub provides good food.”

See also:
http://www.sail-the-net.com/marinas/...ry-marina.html

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2008, 05:55   #6

Boat: hunter 28, 1991, windswept
Is this the same marina/boatyard that charges a yard jockey fee when they have to move boats around to move other boats around.There are only three marina/boatyards in baltimore and I know we are not talking about Baltimore Marine Center or Baltimore Yacht Basin
windsweptms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2008, 06:29   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa
Quote:
Originally Posted by windsweptms View Post
Is this the same marina/boatyard that charges a yard jockey fee when they have to move boats around to move other boats around.There are only three marina/boatyards in baltimore and I know we are not talking about Baltimore Marine Center or Baltimore Yacht Basin
The yard I use, which it outside Baltimore (though you can almost see Baltimore from it) charges you a fee if you don't launch on time and he has to move you out of the way to launch someone else. He does ask for your scheduled launch date when you haul so he can plan the layout, which does seem fair to me.
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2008, 07:54   #8

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida
Iif you look more broadly at it, they could simply raise their rates in excess of what they are charging for ACTUAL overall length. We all know the only time we, as owners, ever understate the length of our boats is when we are talking to the marina.
If that doesn't help, just think in terms of people who can't afford a boat and who have little sympathy for marina rates. If none of this helps, just remember they could make much more money and have much less stress converting the marina to water view condos.
S/V Illusion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2008, 08:54   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa
Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
Iif you look more broadly at it, they could simply raise their rates in excess of what they are charging for ACTUAL overall length. We all know the only time we, as owners, ever understate the length of our boats is when we are talking to the marina.
If that doesn't help, just think in terms of people who can't afford a boat and who have little sympathy for marina rates. If none of this helps, just remember they could make much more money and have much less stress converting the marina to water view condos.
My boatyard seems to charge at the titled LOA or the mfg stated LOA. My boat is mistitled as 24 feet and he said he would just charge me that. I told him to charge at the 25 foot rate, because let's face it, it is only fair.

It does amaze me when I hear about some things that boat yards do and the costs. My guy is very reasonable and doesn't seem to be going anywhere, and neither am I.
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2008, 09:10   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Fortunately in the San Francisco Bay Area there is enough competition between boatyards that the owners know that if they piss off a customer bad enough that they are probably not coming back. I have two boat yards that I would never go back to. (It's not KKMI or Vallejo Boat Works, both of which I really like).

Competition is a great thing to stop that kind of measuring nonsense that you experienced Chief.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2008, 17:40   #11
Eternal Member

Bumped for discussion
Old 22-02-2008, 22:00   #12
Eternal Member

I Know "Your Guy"

He is one of the good guys on the Chesapeake......and everbody I know of speaks well of him......that is why his yard is filled up in the Winter and the Docks are full in the summer......he is good for short-hauls

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
My boatyard seems to charge at the titled LOA or the mfg stated LOA. My boat is mistitled as 24 feet and he said he would just charge me that. I told him to charge at the 25 foot rate, because let's face it, it is only fair.

It does amaze me when I hear about some things that boat yards do and the costs. My guy is very reasonable and doesn't seem to be going anywhere, and neither am I.
Old 28-02-2008, 19:42   #13
Eternal Member

And there are how many days til

Spring Sock-burning??
Old 28-02-2008, 20:26   #14

Boat: Was - Passport 45 Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Engineer View Post
When they go around to all the boats in winter storage....remeasure them and send an adjusted (up) bill.

It is sad that a Searay 30 becomes "35" or a Catalina suddenly grows three feet. Because of an anchor roller and a boarding ladder.

I am not going to post the location where this is going on.....but it does seem to be happening more and more on the Chesapeake
I'm not sure what the complaint is here. The yards are renting space by the foot not by the name of the boat. If someone goes into the office and states that his 38' long boat (including all bolt-ons) is a Catalina 35, expecting to get charged for a 35' space........who is the dis-honest one here???? . It seems to me if the boat takes up 38' of space, it should pay for 38' of space.

I've been to marinas that acually come out and measure the boat when you 1st arrive, to avoid just this sort of discontentment. I never had a problem with that. My Passport 45 measured measured just under 49' with bow roller and wind-vane. I fully expected to pay for 49', not 45'. If I got away with 45' I wouldn't complain though .
Kanani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2008, 06:27   #15
Eternal Member

I suppose the point is

You have already paid for storage....then they come back and bill you after the fact for an additional foot or two.....they have you hostage there <eh?>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanani View Post
I'm not sure what the complaint is here. The yards are renting space by the foot not by the name of the boat. If someone goes into the office and states that his 38' long boat (including all bolt-ons) is a Catalina 35, expecting to get charged for a 35' space........who is the dis-honest one here???? . It seems to me if the boat takes up 38' of space, it should pay for 38' of space.

I've been to marinas that acually come out and measure the boat when you 1st arrive, to avoid just this sort of discontentment. I never had a problem with that. My Passport 45 measured measured just under 49' with bow roller and wind-vane. I fully expected to pay for 49', not 45'. If I got away with 45' I wouldn't complain though .

Tags
boatyards