Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-03-2006, 17:24   #16

Karl, that sounds pretty spot-on to me. Have fun experimenting this week…
Old 13-03-2006, 18:32   #17
Kai Nui

Perfect opportunity to practice heaving to. If you can, grab a copy of the Pardey's book on heavy weather sailing and read the section on heaving to.
More sea time is always a good idea. I've been meaning to learn how to sail. seem to make the boat go OK, but gotta learn how it's done someday Oh wel, as long as I keep winning club races, I must be faking it OK
Old 13-03-2006, 22:10   #18

Boat: J/35 - No Tomorrows
If your going to go out and play in the "Big winds" just remember; Don't be in a hurry.

Maybe you should try using just the main alone? You will probibly sail dog-pie slow to weather but it should at least putter along. Then, after the initial adrenelan wears off, try adding some jib to the mix and see what happens. When I'm single handing and the weather looks dicy (Summer in SF Bay its -always- dicey) This is what I tend to do. It ain't fast but it makes the boat really easy to handle in most weather conditions.

Also I agree 100x10^10% on the engine thing. Properly reefed/setup sailing vessel in most any weather will be pretty comfortable. Motoring, they tend to be slam bam, tippy, noisy then a jib sheet tail washes off the deck, into prop.. How are you going to get outta' this mess? An accadent waiting to happen.

And, if you -are- a novice sailor, carful on the shroud tuning. A misunderstanding in this area can really mess things up on a boat.

Have fun!

-jim lee
jim lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2006, 08:32   #19

Boat: Slocum 37 Cutter "Little Dipper"
Jim,

Advice understood and well taken. We plan to experiment under reduced sail conditions concentrating on sail trim and overall balance versus weather helm effects.

Were just now beginning to see some of the early spring offshore flow of squalls and strong wind moving north colliding with descending cold fronts so a daysail can be quite exciting.

The shroud thing... well, the boat as set-up by the dealer had the mast bent and twisted to a point the in-mast furler wouldn't operate correctly, especially in winds over 15 knots. This was a trial-by-fire learning experience as well but believe we have the basics of it down after consulting a couple of knowledgeable people.

Thanks again for the sound advice. We'll take all we can absorb.

Karl
karlg is offline   Reply With Quote