Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-08-2015, 18:40   #1

hull painting in Trinidad

I am interested in hearing from anyone who has experienced quality awlgrip work in Trinidad.
tartanblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2015, 18:57   #2

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!
Re: hull painting in Trinidad

Not the best place , years ago i spend 3 full weeks to have a decent day to shoot awlgrip at my stern and waterline, rain every day , 99% moisture, hot like hell, i mean a pain in the ass, i see a couple of boats with fresh awlgrip Jobs done in Trini starting to show blisters in the topcoat, unless you do the job in a indoor shed or outside of the rainy season , otherwise is tough in the nerve....
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2015, 20:28   #3

I agree completely;should be done under cover.
Old 02-09-2015, 06:13   #4

Boat: Peterson Islander 40

I was in Chagararmus TT last April. The weather was mostly sunny for several days at a time without rain. Although I didn't have any painting done, I had many maintenance problems to be fixed. I can only say nice things about the expertise and efficiency of the trades persons there. It's a huge complex and you can get just about anything done.

James
Banshe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 08:27   #5

Anyone have ideas of best choice of marina for haul out?
Old 02-09-2015, 10:11   #6

G'day

There are two major Marinas with travel-lifts. Peake and Power Boats. There is a third Coral Cove but much smaller. They are a much the same. I would choose Peake, but hasten to add that that is just MY choice. Perhaps you might like to google them.

James
Old 02-09-2015, 14:06   #7

Boat: Simonis 50

We are at Powerboats at the moment and will soon get our anti fouling done. Unless you are going to do the work yourself, my advise is to get somebody from outside the Chaguaramas do the work. Getting prices from the contractors working within the yards (PowerBoats and Peake) are almost double than what you can get it elsewhere. Every single quote we received across a range of boat related stuff are almost double than what we can source outside the Chaguaramas area.

Even the food will cost you more than what the locals pay for the exact same meal. We found this out by accident when we bought food and one of our workers bought the very same food. We paid 40% more than him!?

On the long term, I think this "taking advantage" will be to the detriment of the entire yacht industry here in Trinidad.

In terms of weather;
The humidity is very high and it rains often - mostly in the afternoon. However, there more than sufficient dry spells to paint your anti fouling and for it to dry. Sometimes you have a 3 to 4 day spell of absolutely no rain.

As mentioned, both Peake and PowerBoats have travel lifts - the Peake travel lift is the largest. Powerboats also have adjustable cradle for catamarans up to around 18 tons.
svrevelations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 02:04   #8

G'day again,

There is a guy who knows just about everything you need to know in Chag. His name is Fast Fredy. I suggest you contact him fastfredy@hotmail.com He has a wealth of knowledge.

James
Old 03-09-2015, 02:13   #9

We had our boat painted last year in Power boats. It is important who you get to do it. The highest guy is not the best. We used Clinton Brewster. Got a great job at a reasonable price. Yes you can get ripped off if you are not careful. Get quotes and check careful. Still the skill level is better than most other places in the east Carib if you pick the right guy.
You can not just hire someone and leave. Stay there and watch and make sure it is done right.
Bob
svadagio is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull, hull paint, paint