Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2017, 10:12   #1

Boat: Etap, 28i
Human presence

Hi,

Just read a book by Tristan Jones where he spoke about single-handing and waking up feeling a human presence. Only to find no one around, then in a short time seeing a mast on the horizion. Out of curiosity, have many of you had this happen?
organic snowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 10:20   #2

Boat: Colegate 26
Re: Human presence

There's also that eerie feeling of knowing someone is looking at you.

In the book does he mention anything about radio calls during that time? I've had experiences where I've woken up in my house and wasn't sure why, only to discover my phone in another room with a recent missed call. I had no memory of the phone ringing, but apparently it was enough disturbance to wake me up. It could be that his radio crackled for the first time in days.
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 10:34   #3

Boat: Seafarer36c

Just the opposite. You look out and there is another boat in the anchorage!
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 10:39   #4

Boat: Etap, 28i

He doesn't mention a radio.
organic snowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 10:42   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Ever woken up in the middle of the night knowing there was someone in the room, but there wasn't?
Been many years for me, but I think this may be where the belief in ghosts comes from
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 10:48   #6
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Human presence

I have often woken and on looking around spotted a ships lights on the horizon.. but put this down to my subconscious picking up the thrum of the ships engines/screws..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 13:19   #7

Boat: bavaria, 49 ft. sailboat

Know this isn't relevant to sailing, but -- Was visited during the night after a girl I went to school with died. Woman I never saw before, just said that this was the way it was supposed to be and then I felt a calm wave starting at the top of my head and passing thru my body. Woke up next day feeling good. Keep in mind I haven't been to a church in over 30 years, so not the religious type, but makes you wonder if there isn't another dimension or something we don't know about. Would have thought the mind was just moving about, except I never saw the woman before. Still have no idea who she was, not any past relatives, checked old pictures going back several generations. Know that the brain can pull things out from way back when, that you hadn't remembered before, but it bothers me that I didn't know the woman that spoke to me. I don't think I'm crazy and this is the only weird thing that I have
ever had happen. (At least that I'll own up to).
In Training is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 13:40   #8
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I have often woken and on looking around spotted a ships lights on the horizon.. but put this down to my subconscious picking up the thrum of the ships engines/screws..
Same here. Weird, innit! Like there's some kind of strange energy that science can't detect, even though such a transference of information over such distances would blow the top off the incredibly sensitive detection methods available, just doesn't seem to show up!

Still, might be the radar and ais alarms that did it

Also, I once found a bottle mid ocean and the label on the bottle was nothing like my first pet. I mean, what's the chances of that???

conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 13:45   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
What he said. Also hear train diesels miles away when on shore. Attuned to certain sounds i guess
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 15:52   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by organic snowman View Post
Hi,

Just read a book by Tristan Jones where he spoke about single-handing and waking up feeling a human presence. Only to find no one around, then in a short time seeing a mast on the horizion. Out of curiosity, have many of you had this happen?

You need to take anything written by Tristan Jones with a very large pinch of salt
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 15:57   #11

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Joshua Slocum writes about a full on hallucinogenic experience (due to fatigue and sleep depravation) where a pirate captain takes the helm, pilots his boat thru a storm...then vanishes. Handy hullicination.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 15:58   #12

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
You need to take anything written by Tristan Jones with a very large pinch of salt
Yes, but he is quite a good story teller.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 17:52   #13

Boat: Pearson 34-II

The inimitable Tristan Jones was a born storyteller in the style of the old Viking sagas where fact, fiction, fantasy, and reality were commingled into a beautiful weave of North European tapestry that few could duplicate. I have read all of his books and to truly enjoy this remarkably creative man, you must allow your imagination to explore those areas of your brain that have been deadened by the monotony of daily life and desensitized to the creative inner self. Human presence? If you like . . . Good luck and safe sailing.
Old 10-05-2017, 20:23   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by organic snowman View Post
Hi,

Just read a book by Tristan Jones ...
Would love to read it. Which book?

He wrote 16 of them: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tristan_Jones
kalbahnov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 22:12   #15

Boat: 10' surfboard

While drinking with a Ranger who had spent many nights on patrol and on watch with his platoon he patiently explained to me when you are many days short of good sleep you can very easily go to sleep and dream your exact surroundings all around you. It is common in his experience for those dreams on watch and at patrol to be so realistic a person feels wide awake, and believes they are still on watch...

Perhaps recognizing unusual guests aboard on passage is the cue to "SNAP OUT OF IT" and wake up,because I am sleeping!!! Those unexpected guests aboard are there to wake me up yes they want to help me, wake up! Time to heave to, run up not under command colors, and radar reflector, turn on radr and AIS flashing strobe I dont care all of it and take a nap, even maintain course, but go to sleep. Time is due. get some sea room and crash. like a rest stop on the highway, pull off, toss and turn in the driver seat for a few hours but sleep!

Or it could be ghosts... but why would they haunt the most remote place on earth? not much to do till a lone sailor passes through!

I will assume you have taken care to avoid cursing the vessel, and have maintained good standing with the sea? Dare not stand strong and insult her, Captain Ahab will tell you himself!

This means:

-No fool undertakes the renaming of vessel lest he follow some absurd detailed process and again find favor.
-No women aboard lest they be naked then it be grand and pleasing to the sea
-Pour gratuitous spirits to Neptune and Poseidon at all found times, always toast the sea.
-green is not the color of a ships topsides lest ye go aground or hope for landfall above all else
-Stand clear of yer Jonah... leave him be if he is washed overside.
-When time come, and the sea be angry, pray ye to St. Nicholas. your prayers will be heard no matter who listen upon them.
-Whenst ye see red upon morning skys hold fast and prays, lash hard and fast.
-Whistle yea through the duldroms, but ye be careful ye not whistle so much you bring a foul gail upon us.
-Have faith in our vessel, for she will carry us through. take good care of her, protect her and she will protect us all.
When cold, take wools and upon yourself and close upon the stove, when hungry eat, when thirsty, drink water, and when tired find your bunk and sleep.

How could a guardian angel resist but to begin a conversation with a sailor who is sleeping at the helm?
nematon785 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc