Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-08-2010, 15:41   #1

Boat: St. Francis 43 Brisa
Hurricane Earl Video

Snippets of hurricane Earl from St. MArtin...

couldn't get outside for all of it... but you'll get the picture... The Air X wind generator survived gusts of 94 MPH... the little white boat by the big wreck at the end is a friends boat... the wreck blew of Witches tit and dragged down onto his boat.... collected three anchors and then ran aground. We went out there this am and his boat didn't have a scratch and was sitting quite happily in the big boats lee for the worst of the storm.

A little note... there were about twenty or thirty boats aground and several destroyed after the storm. Virtually all of them still had sails and wind generators and crap up or on deck and were not prepared for this type of weather. It was sad to see perfectly good boats get thrashed because their owners didn't take a little time and prepare.

Also thew picture of the little yellow boat that could.... When it started getting windy the little yellow boat in the pictures went dragging anchor off downwind. She dragged until she was out of sight.... later I see her dragging off across the lagoon being blown downwind as the wind swung from North to west she dragged across to the far side... then as the wind swung west south west she started back towards her original starting point..... dodged several boats... then as the wind went south she banged up against the boatyard wall.. probably she went a good mile or two on her adventure, but finished up as far as I could tell in one piece and less that a few hundred yards form where she started. Better lucky than good.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0528.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	243.9 KB
ID:	18842   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0523.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	408.5 KB
ID:	18843  

sailingaway221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2010, 19:16   #2

Boat: Pearson, 28-1
Thanks for taking time to share. I'm sitting in a boatyard on the NC coast and am glad to get a taste of what may be headed our way later this week. Looks like ya'll got a strong dose of Earl there and I hope that damaged property is the worst of what Earl caused.

Jonathan
JonathanSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2010, 19:39   #3

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
Thanks for the video. Chaos. It drives me crazy to see unprepared yachts flogging sails that were never taken down.

I once drove all night long to Florida to take the sails down off my catamaran when it looked like a hurricane was going to hit. No excuse for not removing sails for tropical storms and hurricanes.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 06:12   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Hurricane Earl's effects on St. John's boating community
Hurricane Earl's effects - iWitness Weather Photos and Video Video

Hurricane Earl Photo Wall (BVI)
flickr photo wall | BVI Hurricane News

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 07:14   #5

Boat: 58 Taswell AS
I have a slip in Captain Oliver's, Oyster Pond for the year but my boat is in the Chesapeake. I think the pond is a much better hidey-hole than the Lagoon. It is sheltered by hills and the Oyster Bay Beach Resort buildings on all sides + the reef outside the entrance. Anyone know how the boats there did in the storm?
speciald@ocens. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 07:58   #6
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
Oyster Pond came out very well. No boats where lost. Only a few rubbed up against the docks at Capt. Olivers.