Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2018, 13:28   #31

Boat: Freedom 38
Re: Hurricane Michael, Which Way to Run?

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
What is psj?
Port St Joe, I assume
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 13:28   #32
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
What is psj?
port st joe. is near appalachiacola and on gom. biiig bay and a marina with a roof.. that will be interesting.... lake wimiko is a very shallow lake on the icw between apalach and psj.

willbe interesting to see how a beautiful intensifying cat 5 cane remodels this area of gorgeous lowlands
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 14:17   #33

Boat: Catalina 34MKII

I saw a version of that Village Idiot spot this morning. It was about two hours before landfall. Permanent dock, snug tie down waiting to loosen when storm arrives. Sail cover on main, genoa on furler, dodger, and sitting under a make shift bimini. It was also interesting when the shot panned the marina that most of the other sticks had full canvas still up.

Preparation be damned! I am a sailor~
Old 10-10-2018, 14:39   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomdidit View Post
I saw a version of that Village Idiot spot this morning. It was about two hours before landfall. Permanent dock, snug tie down waiting to loosen when storm arrives. Sail cover on main, genoa on furler, dodger, and sitting under a make shift bimini. It was also interesting when the shot panned the marina that most of the other sticks had full canvas still up.

Yeah, and he'll probably say: "See, I told you it would miss us."
When you bet your life on the accuracy of the hurricane forecast path without much preparation while sitting on your boat... and you live... do you become more brave in the future?
cyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 17:21   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Hurricane Michael, Which Way to Run?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomdidit View Post

I have sat one, actually two hurricanes out in PC, both missed.
Very, very few owners showed up to do anything at all to the boats.
I feel strongly as neglected as most of the boats were, that many were secretly hoping they would be destroyed so they could collect the Insurence. It’s either that or they simply didn’t believe a hurricane would hit, or just don’t care what happens to the boat.

I rode Irma out in Brunswick, and many, many didn’t do much, and that was when we were sure Irma would march up the East coast, in particular I didn’t see one cat remove their main, or even the dinghy, which made no sense to me.
My slip neighbor who lived in Alabama, didn’t even show up to add a line or two or strip anything, however his Insurence did buy him a new sailcover and Bimini, both were sun rotted to begin with.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 19:41   #36

Quote:
I have sat one, actually two hurricanes out in PC, both missed.
Very, very few owners showed up to do anything at all to the boats.
I feel strongly as neglected as most of the boats were, that many were secretly hoping they would be destroyed so they could collect the Insurence. It’s either that or they simply didn’t believe a hurricane would hit, or just don’t care what happens to the boat.

I rode Irma out in Brunswick, and many, many didn’t do much, and that was when we were sure Irma would march up the East coast, in particular I didn’t see one cat remove their main, or even the dinghy, which made no sense to me.
My slip neighbor who lived in Alabama, didn’t even show up to add a line or two or strip anything, however his Insurence did buy him a new sailcover and Bimini, both were sun rotted to begin with.
I don't disagree with this, but remember that many people in the Panhandle might live an hour from their boats. I have a home in Havana. Our boat used to be in St. Marks. The time to have done boat prep was Tuesday when many people would have been working and the hurricane was only at Cat 1 or so. I think a lot of people were caught off guard despite the state's warnings. I recall one that had snuck up on us like this by speeding up during the night and then was almost on top of us by the morning. Luckily it fizzled out as it hit the coast. In hurricane areas, I'll never go to sleep again without an alarm to check on the storm in the middle of the night.
Old 11-10-2018, 03:01   #37
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, dwlangham.

Any survivor reports?

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 04:14   #38

Boat: MacGregor 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyan View Post
Some guy named Jeff, riding it out on his boat, forgot to remove his main sail?
"We're Cruisers."
"I'm a sailor. I'm not the village idiot".
I saw that interview too. Weren’t they in Pensacola though?
Hoosierdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 07:33   #39

Below is a link to the scene in Mexico Beach, which got the worst of it. I hope everyone made it out of this mess. I still haven't heard from my mother and brother in Bristol (Liberty County), which was about 40 miles from the eye. Tornadoes reported in Havana (Gadsden County) where my house is. Any news would be appreciated.

Old 11-10-2018, 08:03   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosierdoc View Post
I saw that interview too. Weren’t they in Pensacola though?
Yes. That was kind of my point. They were betting on the accuracy of the storm track forecast, sitting on a boat that wasn't very well prepared. The forecast was good and they missed almost all of the surge and winds in Pensacola. He said if the track changed THEN they would get off the boat. (which still had the main and headsail attached)
cyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 08:17   #41
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

The time to have prepared was Monday, not Tuesday!
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 08:21   #42
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

https://weather.com/storms/hurricane...ida-gulf-coast
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 18:02   #43

Whether by boat, house or anything available, i’ve Seen many people “Ride it out.” They’ll refer to the fact that often times the forecast is wrong or that they rode out “xyz” storm and it wasn’t that bad. Yet many wouldn’t cross the ocean without a life raft. Takes time and planning, but there’s normally three or more days of pretty reliable forecasts (esp today). Generally plenty of advance warning to m9ve. Or you can stay and risk your life.
leboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2018, 07:18   #44

Boat: Beneteau 343

My Beneteau 343 survived at anchor in Watson's Bayou just east of PC and not very far from the eye. A local ABC weather guy I spoke to said there was 150 mph winds and likely a few tornadoes at that location. Needless to say most boats didn't make it. I counted 5 total anchored boats in Watson's that seem to have survived; one is stuck in the mud along shore but seems ok; four are floating clear (including mine). What an experience.
EmeraldCoastSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2018, 09:35   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Hurricane Michael, Which Way to Run?

You were up there near the bridge where there are a lot of abandoned boats?
I was always afraid of that area due to the abandoned boats were often not well anchored on thin old lines. Other wise it’s likely about the best place to be in the bay.

Glad to hear you made it, it looks like the boats in Massilina Bayou did pretty well too?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hurricane