Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-03-2013, 10:55   #1

Boat: Lavranos 40
Hurricane season in the Caribbean

Hi everybody,
I was wondering how many of the Caribbeans sailors have already spent the hurricane season south, like Guyana or Suriname or even French Guiana. I did that two years ago and was pretty amazed by the completely different type of landscape, the river cruising, the colors ...
I know there a myth saying you can't go south from trinidad, but it actually is quite possible to sail with no engine to Guyana, then to motorsail to French Guiana, the sea is quite flat there and the wind quite low during the hurricane season. Once in French Guiana it's becoming quite easy to sail down to Brasil if you're really motivated.
I think this year I will join a friend who's organizing a rally in september, his goal is to bust this myth because he does sail between all of these countries several times a year with a 23 feet long boat.
Anyone interested by the Amazonian forest ?
romanos2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2013, 10:59   #2
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Re: Hurricane season in the Caribbean

What myth about not going south of Trinidad?

There isn't one.

Otherwise how would anyone get to Brazil, argentine, or Cape Horn?

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2013, 11:04   #3

Every sailors I met told me that to go to brasil you have to sail 700 miles east of St Martin (or other island around) then south.
The only boat I saw sailing down the coast where fishing boats. I've been in some places in Suriname where they never saw a sailing boat.
Old 22-03-2013, 11:14   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by romanos2b View Post
Hi everybody,
I was wondering how many of the Caribbeans sailors have already spent the hurricane season south, like Guyana or Suriname or even French Guiana. I did that two years ago and was pretty amazed by the completely different type of landscape, the river cruising, the colors ...
I know there a myth saying you can't go south from trinidad, but it actually is quite possible to sail with no engine to Guyana, then to motorsail to French Guiana, the sea is quite flat there and the wind quite low during the hurricane season. Once in French Guiana it's becoming quite easy to sail down to Brasil if you're really motivated.
I think this year I will join a friend who's organizing a rally in september, his goal is to bust this myth because he does sail between all of these countries several times a year with a 23 feet long boat.
Anyone interested by the Amazonian forest ?
good for him if he can sugest ways of avoiding the 3knots of current we are all ears here!
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2013, 11:22   #5

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A

I knew of several boats that had traveled south of Trinidad. It's a beat to weather toward the ITCZ so uou need to pick your weather window.

There used to be a myth that sailing from Granada to Trinidad was impossible. If you really want to hear about sailing myths, tell your non-boating friends you're going cruising.
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2013, 11:24   #6
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Trinidad to Rio is 3,700 nms so taking a dig to sea 700 nms to get a better run is not far.

Anyway the eastern point of Brazil is about that far out anyway, so you need to make it somewhere

There's no need to be too scared of contrary currents, at sea they won't be much, unlike what too is talking about inside the Amazon etc.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2013, 11:24   #7

never had more than 1,5 knots current going that way, mostly between 0,5 and 1 knot. had 3 knots in some of the rivers because of the tide.
My friend's boat is slow 4 knots average, 3 knots current would make it to hard.
Old 22-03-2013, 11:31   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A View Post
I knew of several boats that had traveled south of Trinidad. It's a beat to weather toward the ITCZ so uou need to pick your weather window.

There used to be a myth that sailing from Granada to Trinidad was impossible. If you really want to hear about sailing myths, tell your non-boating friends you're going cruising.
True about the ITCZ, but you're not really concerned if you sail down to Guyana first, then sail along Surinamese coast (at least 30 miles away to be free from the tide effect and far from most of fishing boats)

Well about going from Grenada to Trinidad, most people not going it's because you will experience sailing by night, not about the fact that you might need the engine, because those who are scared to do that trip are often the same that never use their sails
Old 22-03-2013, 11:35   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by romanos2b View Post
Every sailors I met told me that to go to brasil you have to sail 700 miles east of St Martin (or other island around) then south.
The only boat I saw sailing down the coast where fishing boats. I've been in some places in Suriname where they never saw a sailing boat.
This is because of the wind direction. But almost boat go more soulth (Bahia ou Rio de Janeiro). Loock the map and you will understand.
Belem is in north of Brazil, and itīs a very good place, and very cheap, not big structure.
If help there is a cruising guide of Brazil here Bluewater Books & Charts - Cruising The Coast Of Brasil
Or direct with author: Rapunzel - Publicaes
FeBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2013, 11:38   #10

I don't care about going down to brasil, have been there twice My point is about discovering countries that sailors avoid that worth to be known if you feel a little bit adventurous.
Old 22-03-2013, 11:41   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

i guess during the tradewind season the current is stronger,last 4 times i came that way we followed the continetal shelf and had on average 2 knots,and up to 3 for the last bit to tobago.

fernando de noronha aproaching from west africa we almost missed due to current!

illes de salute we were sailing round the anchor if you put the helm over!

though seeing the jangada's heading downstream it must be possable,though they are quite fast
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2013, 12:09   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
i guess during the tradewind season the current is stronger
Exactly ! and along the coast of Suriname, during hurricane season, the effect of the current is lower, so between 0.5 and 1.5 knots.
The wind is most of the time under 10/15knots, while during tradewind season I experiences 4 days of 20/25 knots last time

Tags
Caribbean, hurricane