Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-08-2015, 15:17   #16

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: Hydraulic steering components

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliehows View Post
oh - and "takes the feel out of sailing" - really? I get so much feedback through my hydraulic steering system the bloody nut holding the steering wheel on occasionally undoes itself - usually when the boat wants to power onto some nearby rocks...whats so good about 'feel' ?
My HR has hydraulic. I have plenty of feel through feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryon View Post
Yes, really.

I just put a few thousand miles on this sweetie. She had a hydraulic steering system that was as limp and lifeless as the power steering on a 1972 Oldsmobile. The pump was right below the helm, and made more noise than the engine. I have sailed quite a few different ships, and the thing that disappointed me most about this one, even worse than the nose-level black water vent next to the helm, was the hydraulic steering.
What's so good about feel??? It's the ship talking to you at the helm. And I like that!
I would say the hydraulic system you are referring to is a live system. One that has an electric or auxiliary motor spinning a hydraulic pump with a 2 way modulator valve. What everyone else is referring to is a pump at the helm where, when you crank on the wheel, it turns a pump filling a hydraulic ram. Therefore when the rudder receives pressure from sea conditions, it pushes or pulls on the ram and in turn, pushes positively or negatively the hydraulic pump at the helm.
If the pump in your engine room made more noise than the ships engine, you have a bad pump. For that matter. if you're using the ships engine all the time, is your :sweetie" really a sailing vessel,or a cattle ship?

All that said, I find it silly to put hydraulics on a boat that already has a tiller. There is no "real" advantage in having it. On my HR the original helm pump had way too much play. If it hadn't been for the electric Autohelm system mounted on the pedestal, I would have just used the auxiliary tiller and saved the $600 for a new pump.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2015, 11:07   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
... I would say the hydraulic system you are referring to is a live system. One that has an electric or auxiliary motor spinning a hydraulic pump with a 2 way modulator valve. What everyone else is referring to is a pump at the helm where, when you crank on the wheel, it turns a pump filling a hydraulic ram. Therefore when the rudder receives pressure from sea conditions, it pushes or pulls on the ram and in turn, pushes positively or negatively the hydraulic pump at the helm.
If the pump in your engine room made more noise than the ships engine, you have a bad pump. For that matter. if you're using the ships engine all the time, is your :sweetie" really a sailing vessel,or a cattle ship?
Ah ha! So I misunderstood the question. I couldn't imagine why anyone would want "power steering" on a boat of that size.

BTW, my "antediluvian monster" Mystic was built in 2007, and did not lack for admirers at any of the ports we visited.

ryon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2015, 11:48   #18

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

She looks beautiful
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2015, 14:13   #19

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

I used to crew on this "antediluvian monster". She was built in 1877 and still had traditional mechanical steering gear housed in the "captain's coffin"....installed aft of the "captain's balls" (big iron ones at that). ;-)
Attached Images

belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 11:57   #20

Boat: Ocean Alexander tri cabin 52'

Buy an auto pilot system with pump, control head, ect.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
MVDarlin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hydraulic steering, steering