Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-07-2021, 13:36   #61

Re: I got scammed out of $1462 for S&H of a boat I am selling!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanPatrick View Post
It's not uncommon for scammers to use a slightly different URL. Many people simply wouldn't notice if a link read "papyal.com" or some other variation.

Agreed, and this is why I generally don't explain to people to look at links, etc. in emails, most of the time they don't know what to look for and it could only confuse the matter.

Receive ANY notification from ANY of your financial institutions and you go a KNOWN and TRUSTED source for further information. This may be a phone call, an APP, or a website, either way - don't click links in emails and NEVER pay anyone unless you have recourse, and for me, that's PayPal and I never use F&F. If the cost of the item is minimal (sub $50) I'll just pay the fee. If it's more than that I will involve it in part of the sale and if it's a high dollar item I will usually ask the seller to pay 1/2 or more of the fee.
Chili Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2021, 13:42   #62
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

yesterday I got a legal looking letter from the vessel documentation center. they will renew my CG registration for a free. or I can just go the real CG site and renew it for no fee
Old 22-07-2021, 08:19   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonesail View Post
yesterday I got a legal looking letter from the vessel documentation center. they will renew my CG registration for a free. or I can just go the real CG site and renew it for no fee
I work in accounting/HR and receive "official" notification for services to print required HR posters, or I can go to dol.gov and print them myself

Trust no one
Chili Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2021, 09:46   #64

Sold two O'Day 22s to a couple in Russia. They sent all monies in cash ,via Western Union and one payment to my bank by wire transfer. (We waited a while for that one to clear) No problems with getting real money up front and on time. Nice couple too!
skipper53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2021, 10:19   #65
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFO View Post
business with things like cheques
Cheques,Who buying selling goods with toilet paper
more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2021, 14:08   #66

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

I apologize for the thread drift but here it is. Sometimes those foreign buyer things work out. I sold my boat which was in the PNW to a lady in England. She bought the boat sight unseen and wired me the money. Sometimes it works like Skipper said.
Old 28-07-2021, 04:35   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by quotar38 View Post
The supposed buyer’s supposed name is Robert Podlewski.

The supposed shipper’s supposed name is Douglas Glancy of Everett, WA. I believe the shipper, who picked up the MoneyGram is required to show ID.

Same here, but I checked before accepting payment. Same name Robert Podlewski - is actually Gadi Amendum, Nebert Welch Rd, Knoxville, Grainger, Tennessee. His cell number is 865-351-4614. Hopefully this can be found in search engines and keep others from being scammed.
smattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2021, 04:37   #68

Same here, but I checked before accepting payment. Same name Robert Podlewski - is actually Gadi Amendum, Nebert Welch Rd, Knoxville, Grainger, Tennessee. His cell number is 865-351-4614. Hopefully this can be found in search engines and keep others from being scammed.
smattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2021, 16:18   #69

Boat: Pearson 28

I had an sms from the same number...and it wasn't even the first one!

I posted my boat on SailboatListings.com just this Sunday (a 28' Pearson for 12K) and the very first sms was from someone who wanted to buy the boat, sight unseen, for more than what I was asking. That was weird and a red flag, but then they wanted to have the boat trucked away, to Utah of all places, and if asked I can handle the shipping.

At that point I knew it was a scam. There is a YouTuber (search Pleasant Green, great videos) that has a series about a Nigerian scam that follows that same pattern...they search classified ads, text you if you left a number with the promise of a certified check (they're actually just business checks and totally fake), then when you get the check try and rush you to pay the shipping company in advance (before their fake check bounces).

Beware. Ask lot's of questions about who they are, where they live, what they do and get them on a voice call...most will not bother you anymore and when they do, they hardly speak english.
masteriti is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat