Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-06-2004, 09:24   #1

Send a message via AIM to fujiwara takumi Send a message via Yahoo to fujiwara takumi
I Have a Strange Form of Agorophobia

Couple of things bother me, mainly its a fear of scale. I dont much care for the ocean at all, but lakes are ok as long as the water isnt too terribly clear. If I can ignore its ok.

Couple questions though, because I am a little concerned about some thoughts.

1. do you ever have to get in the water to inspect the under water portion of your hull? The thought of this makes me seriously nauseas.

2. How often do you spend in the bilge on the inside? Is your bilge shaped like the outside hull, I know it seems weird but I have a serious problem with the thought of hanging out in an area like that.

I have a lot of peculiar problems with boats and water in general, but I'm really anxious to learn about sailing and maybe own my own boat one day soon...but in the meantime I have to come to terms with my fears.
fujiwara takumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2004, 10:10   #2

Boat: Viking 33 Tanzer 8.5m Tanzer 22
Phobia

You do not need to go in the water. An annual inspection with the boat out of the water is sufficient. You may need to scrub the bottom in between but there are ways to do this other than swimming. The bilge on a lot of boats is only a couple of inches below the floor ( sole ) so it represents no more threat than lifting a mat. You will need to check the engine oil level now and then but someone could do that for you. If you get a boat maybe spend some time before and after purchase just sitting on it.
BC Mike C
BC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2004, 11:27   #3

Send a message via AIM to fujiwara takumi Send a message via Yahoo to fujiwara takumi
this is the thing, im cool with boats, they dont bother me. Ive been in things as small as rowboats, (the ss minnow II as my dad called it... before thieves ran away with it), stuff as big as a cruse ship...its just certain aspects of them that bothers me.

What you said is helpful. I dont like being in the water next to things taller than me, i guess, i donno. It is a weird feeling, but I know Im not the only one who gets it.

When I think of the bilge I guess I think of an area below deck that is tall enough to stand in and the idea is unsettling, perhaps Im wrong and its proly just being a newbie and uncertainity of the unknown .

I saw that commercial the other day with the olympic swimmer swimming in the river in New York City, and hanging on to the rocks outside the statue of liberty and man does that make me nervous, lol.

I have more stupid questions, but I may as well ask...

but for one, how does a wood boat hold water? is Fiberglass generally coated over the top, or epoxy or what? What fills in the seams between the slats?
Old 30-06-2004, 13:15   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
I understand your fears and if you can, I suggest going to a councilor that deals in the area's of phobia's. They can teach you techniques to use to deal with the fear.
Or if you can, go to those places where you feel nervouse and start with spending a little time, slowly increasing and frequenting them. You will soon understand that it is not the thing itself that is the fear, but the fear of the unknown. As the famouse saying goes, "The only thing we have to fear, is fear itself". I know what it is like, it is often irrational and yet it is totaly gripping and very real to the person involved. All the best and I hope you get to be free of it.
Wheels

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2004, 15:59   #5

Well, Im pretty German, so Im pretty stubborn, I eventually get over my issues...just can't do so permantly. No shrinks gonna' fix me, I was just trying to judge how often I'd have to do such and such. I do a lot of things I don't want to or don't like to, but the more I prepare the better I can handle it. I think I've decided that my fears might be based on the lack of depth perception in an oddly shaped area, (hull, attic, under water, auditorium) and with that knowledge I might be able to control it.

Regardless thanks for the info.
Old 01-07-2004, 14:21   #6

Talking Glad ta see ya here !

The fear of anything is a crippling , horizon limiting , disease. Agoraphobia and Claustraphobia, in the Ya know what same person, is NOT a rare occurance, both are just extremes of the space in which the person feels comfortable . Dude, I've been there ! Most bilges on a Sailboat wind up being a space that in order to look at, you have to assume the kneeling position. My bilge is about 4 inches deep ! No worries there !
Wisconsin, Ayy. Ya know, I bought Warchant 12 years ago. I had this vision of sailing across One of the Great Lakes single handed and sailing back, singlehanded. This would be , to me, a Voyage of Discovery. I had been fearfull ( OOOOOOOO ,the shame ) all my life. To do this task, even with imagined excrement running down my legs, and accomplishing it, remains what is driving me to keep on going. To repair this sailboat, and use it as a shield againist the elements while I ( thats right, ME ) drive this sucker through the Great Lakes to another place, thats my offshore adventure.
Maybe some hair will appear on my chest, mentally. Maybe I will grin to myself thinking " I did it ".
By the way, I bought the ego enhancing object known as a boat for 6500 Dollars. If ya wanna do something bad enough, ya finda way !
29cascadefixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 20:39   #7

I have a fear of empty swimming pools too. There must be something to these things to relate them all.

Anyway, sailing across the lake is just what Id like to do. It looks like its a long road ahead to learn all I need to do. But if I could do it for $6500 I'd jump in with both feet
Old 08-07-2004, 07:07   #8

Send a message via AIM to seaquesta Send a message via Yahoo to seaquesta
Get an RV and stay out of the rain!
seaquesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 08:24   #9

ive camped for 15 years. its boring and way too normal.
Old 08-07-2004, 10:09   #10

Boat: Viking 33 Tanzer 8.5m Tanzer 22
$6500-

At $10000- I suggested a Tanzer 26, at $6500- you will get a Tanzer 22 and lose the standing headroom. BC Mike C
BC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 11:56   #11

im starting to think 6500 is a silly budget. im starting to convince myself than 10-12 is more reasonable.
Old 14-07-2004, 20:39   #12

May I suggest that you spend a few hours at your local library? No doubt there is a large selection of books dealing with the ins and outs of so many of the things you will want to know.

I can't think of a faster way to learn about them.
Old 26-07-2009, 02:21   #13

Determined wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by fujiwara takumi View Post
Well, Im pretty German, so I'm pretty stubborn, I eventually get over my issues...just can't do so permantly. No shrinks gonna' fix me, I was just trying to judge how often I'd have to do such and such. I do a lot of things I don't want to or don't like to, but the more I prepare the better I can handle it...

Regardless thanks for the info.
I'm not going to tell you how to fix it because I certainly don't know and a German with a Japanese name is not going to listen to anybody. Ask my wife.

For myself I took care to start detoxifying heavy metals: Cd; Hg; Pb & now Pd. That got rid of an anxiety about flying, especially landing, that had developed. Also anxieties over clumps of trees at night... etc. It was not a miracle cure, it took a couple of years. Then the magic EFT meridian tapping trick started to work for me. But it won't work for you ~ so searching the world for personal answers has to be made a fascinating passion. Good luck. You are determined!
George Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2009, 05:56   #14

Boat: Monk 36 Trawler
My suggestion is:
Rent a boat the size you think you can own for an afternoon or day, first with someone who knows how to sail, while he is sailing crawl around inside and all over the boat, sail it for a while under his, or her, eye. See how it affects you, if you are ok with it learn how to sail with friends or hired instructor. If that goes ok charter for a weekend or week. Then decide if you enjoy it enough to make the big investment in time and money. Maybe a better knowledge will calm your worries.
If you find you are still not enthusiastic look for something else there are lots of other activities available.
Good luck to you!
Steve
stevensc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2009, 07:06   #15
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
George, I think you may have set the CF record for resuscitating old threads! This one was resting peacefully for five years...