Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: Which of these items do you take with you while cruising?
Waterproof Matches 72 54.96%
Gun 21 16.03%
Surfboard 18 13.74%
Speargun 55 41.98%
Bicycle 32 24.43%
Suit and Tie 12 9.16%
Cowboy Hat 8 6.11%
Prescription Narcotics for Emergencies 57 43.51%
Family Pet 35 26.72%
Electric Clothes Washer 10 7.63%
Hair Dryer 17 12.98%
Satellite Phone 37 28.24%
Elvis Presley Recordings 16 12.21%
Downrigger or Outriggers for fishing 18 13.74%
Dumbells 5 3.82%
Television Set 57 43.51%
Underwater Camera 53 40.46%
Monopoly Game 24 18.32%
Lava lamp 2 1.53%
Hookah 25 19.08%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2007, 23:41   #31

In regards to the suit: a nice turtle neck, some clean / dark jeans, and a sport coat can go a long way. You can look pretty damn good with no collar and a tie if you can tie the whole thing together.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 00:26   #32

Boat: Chris White A47 Mastfoil
Sat phone is the only thing.
Agility is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 00:40   #33

You'd bring a satelite phone over waterproof matches?
Old 06-12-2007, 11:01   #34

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
You'd bring a satelite phone over waterproof matches?
I have not prioritized my list in writing because I don't have the boat yet but............

In one sense (I said ONE) help will be along faster with a sat phone than with a signal fire.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 12:52   #35
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
...In one sense (I said ONE) help will be along faster with a sat phone than with a signal fire.
In another sense, you can’t cook food nor keep warm over a sat’ phone.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 13:04   #36

Location: Fredericton, NB, Canada in the summer and fall; Caribbean in winter and spring aboard Cat Tales.
Boat: FP Tobago 35 (and a H-21 SE)
you definitely need a "none of the above" choice
Sonosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 18:14   #37

Boat: C&C 27
I second the sat phone. Beats the stuffing out of anything but an epirb in an emergency and it beats a epirb for calling friends and family. I was going to vote for the hookah and the waterproof matches... but it's the wrong kind of hookah.
Pura Vida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 13:18   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pura Vida View Post
but it's the wrong kind of hookah.
That's unpopular thinking around here. People can make jokes (or be serious, sadly) about drinking alcohol and boating, but if you mention pot everyone knee jerks and turns into a cop.

Even firearms. You'll find support on here for people who are more than willing to illegally smuggle high powered weapons into a country for their "protection", but light up a j on a beach somewhere and you're branded a criminal.

I haven't smoked pot in years, and would never do it (or alcohol) on an underway (or could be underway) vessel, but the attitudes I've encountered on the water is really back asswards. Especially when put in the context of sailing, which is notorious for consuming alcohol underway (and is a leading cause of maritime fatalities). Stone throwing in a glass house, etc.

/end of rant/
Old 07-12-2007, 13:22   #39

And in case that post ends up getting banned / deleted because I'm discussing something "illegal", I'd like to point out that plenty of illegal content (drinking and boating, as one obvious example) happens on here and no eyebrows are raised.

Example: "Get me another beer!"

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ting-9443.html
Old 07-12-2007, 13:59   #40
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
That's unpopular thinking around here. People can make jokes (or be serious, sadly) about drinking alcohol and boating, but if you mention pot everyone knee jerks and turns into a cop.

Even firearms. You'll find support on here for people who are more than willing to illegally smuggle high powered weapons into a country for their "protection", but light up a j on a beach somewhere and you're branded a criminal.

I haven't smoked pot in years, and would never do it (or alcohol) on an underway (or could be underway) vessel, but the attitudes I've encountered on the water is really back asswards. Especially when put in the context of sailing, which is notorious for consuming alcohol underway (and is a leading cause of maritime fatalities). Stone throwing in a glass house, etc.

/end of rant/
I would consider what you've written an astute observation, rebel heart, not a rant. I, too, am mystified by the close bond between boating and the consumption of alcohol.

I raised the question here, awhile back:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...html#post98634

And just to save everyone the trouble of pulling that up, here's the pertinent part:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoJones View Post
<snip>

And perhaps this belongs in another thread, but I've long wondered what is the reason boaters in particular are so drawn to the consumption of alcohol? Years ago I dropped out of the whole yacht club/club cruise/Wednesday afternoon regatta thing, because all that ever happened was that at the end, everyone stood around and drank (mostly beer) and reprised the meaningless event. Everything seemed designed to culminate in the social gathering at the end, and the social gatherings, to me, were only excuses to drink, and it very quickly lost its charm.

I would also posit that a majority of boating accidents that involve casual or infrequent sailors/powerboaters have the consumption of alcohol as the unifying characteristic. And I wouldn't be at all surprised to learn that alcohol is a factor, more often than not, in accidents involving professional mariners (see, for example, Joseph Hazelwood and Exxon Valdez).
It's worth remembering, though, that when it comes to illegal drugs aboard, you're risking the seizure of your vessel, not just your freedom and big legal expenses, if you get busted with them on your boat. Not at all worth it, IMO.

Still, rebel heart makes a valid point. I hope it's allowed to stand.

TaoJones
Old 07-12-2007, 14:45   #41

Tao - Thanks for the nice words. I debated about posting it because I knew I stir up a hornet's nest.

Again, I would never operate a vessel while impaired by anything. Because of the insane amount of hell the police and coast guard can rain down on me, I keep anything even remotely "illegal" off my vessel, including expired pain killers for wisdom teeth that got pulled a few years ago.

I suppose I don't know what I'm arguing really, except that there seems to be a bit of hypocrisy out there. Of course hypocrisy is everywhere (I've got plenty myself I'm sure), but this particular issue always seems so much more obtuse to me, especially when the people with such strong anti-pot attitudes often can be seen in the cockpit nursing a beer.
Old 07-12-2007, 16:06   #42

Boat: C&C 27
Quote:
That's unpopular thinking around here. People can make jokes (or be serious, sadly) about drinking alcohol and boating, but if you mention pot everyone knee jerks and turns into a cop./end of rant/

Thanks for the heads up. I've been away for a few months. But I have been on the board for a while and guess that most of the admins and moderators have an idea about my humor and, often, lack there of. (Or they have not been offended enough to notice me. So far no PMs.)

Some may not appreciate my comment and to those I apologize for any undue stress. Drug and alcohol treatment are central to my current academic work so I may have some perspectives on the issue that are not commonly held. I'll hang on to those.

So how do you use matches on a boat? I have a long lighter for the grill and seacook but...
Pura Vida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2008, 22:14   #43

Boat: Dolphin 460 Catamaran WONDERLAND
Who woud'a thought, the most popular item to carry while cruising is water proof matches .

Keegan
Keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2008, 22:58   #44
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keegan View Post
Who woud'a thought, the most popular item to carry while cruising is water proof matches .

Keegan
Maybe its a dating thing?
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2008, 01:20   #45

Boat: Broadblue 385, called Troutbridge
Send a message via Skype™ to Troutbridge
Oh, hooKAH
Just to clarify a minor misconception, the suit and tie is to wear whilst sailing.
Troutbridge is offline   Reply With Quote