Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2013, 08:34   #16

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: If you were in my shoes...

[LIST][*]pay down your debt[*]start saving[*]let your "fixing the world" impulse lead to some behavior that reduces the suffering of others, perhaps volunteering at a hospice or soup kitchen[*]work an extra job, to speed along the first two
/LIST]
Always, "pay" yourself into your savings at least 10% of your total earnings. It's actually quite surprising how it will begin to add up.

For a new skill set, depends on what you're drawn to and what your eventual goal is. Learning diesel mechanics could serve you well; refrigeration; electronics. But if the real problem is accumulating capital -- that makes me wonder what field did you study that got you all this debt? -- business is where lots of money is made...

Ann
Old 03-06-2013, 08:44   #17

Boat: contessa 32

Get a small sailing dingy cheap, but fully functioning with trailer or back of pickup truck.
Get said craft to nearest pond,lake,river ,even a swamp!.No motor ,oars only ; just life jacket and lunch .You are now on your way to learning what you need to know.
mrohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:48   #18

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

You need to consider the physical condition of the OP. Not everyone can use oars!!! A small outboard motor is nice to have, just in case the weather is a bit much to handle. Mauritz
Teknav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:28   #19

Boat: Sabre 28
I agree with mror. No motor will teach you how to sail! As well as get you thinking in what if scenarios so hopefully you don't put yourself in dangerous situations after you move up to the big blue.
Old 03-06-2013, 19:55   #20

Talking Re: If you were in my shoes...

Thanks everyone for your answers! More are welcome too!

Quote:
Is there no sailing opportunity within a 3 hours drive? Joining a race program would be very helpful no matter your skill level ... even though by observation cruisers need not know much about sailing.
Its about 3.5hours or so, and theres a nice 45ft yacht I can borrow, but I usually don't have 7 hours to spend driving, I'm either working or studying or sleeping. My free time is usually a shorter amount of time in a day alas.

Quote:
Find a job that you can do from anywhere such as networking computers to provide income.
Learning clojure now, and by extension, more Java. I <3 lisps. (any sailing lisp programmers out there? Lisp and/or perl seems to fit with the mindset...). Kinda can remember MATLAB a bit, but I loathe MATLAB for some reason. Probably due to it's awfulness. Might learn Assembly next for if I want to make any of my own electronics. Probably wont though...

Quote:
You can't fix the government, it's too full of passionate criminals.
You're probably right, but it can't hurt to try to get rid of them and get some good folks in there. Good interview question for potential candidates: "will you enjoy this job?" If the answer is yes, then look carefully before you hire them...
And actually it could hurt to try I guess, but it seems worth a shot. Wouldn't it be nice if it worked. Course, if you start to succeed you'll probly GET shot...

Quote:
"Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors - and miss."
Robert A Heinlein
Lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
[LIST]
But if the real problem is accumulating capital -- that makes me wonder what field did you study that got you all this debt? -- business is where lots of money is made...

Ann
No I meant that I will have no debt when I graduate, thank God, which is why I'm stuck in these dang mountains. I'm tied to my school. They are beautiful mountains though. I'm studying biology and chemistry now, with a number of other things on the side. I used to study civE and mechE and linguistics in my previous iterations of college. After that I was an ironworker for a little while and then a ski bum for a few years and studied econ and worked at a resort. Now I'm back in school to get an actual degree rather than a big pile of credits that don't add up to a finished major. Might go to PA school afterwards or something. Interesting, "relatively" quick way to learn medicine and can be flexible, and pays nicely. Would want to do it next to the ocean though, because if I can't sail to clear my mind there I would definitely burn out.

Quote:
You need to consider the physical condition of the OP. Not everyone can use oars!!! A small outboard motor is nice to have, just in case the weather is a bit much to handle. Mauritz
I used to row competitively and am in about the same shape as I was then.
edvol44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 20:17   #21
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknav View Post
I'd forget about learning celestial navigation; use a GPS, instead. Mauritz

You're just plain evil.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 20:39   #22

Network through owner of that 43' and find opportunities to crew for a week or two here & there. You'll learn a tremendous amount while not laying out more than a share on groceries -or- you might even break even while getting trained.
SecondBase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 21:09   #23
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by edvol44 View Post
I at present cranking out school debt-free
you didn't mention what you're studying.
Old 03-06-2013, 21:33   #24

Boat: Ericson 35-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by edvol44 View Post
Learning clojure now, and by extension, more Java. I <3 lisps. (any sailing lisp programmers out there? Lisp and/or perl seems to fit with the mindset...)
Clojure, eh? I know a few lucky bastards who do it for living, but... if you want remote work, anything Lisp-like will be useless, period. As a paradigm, yes, as a specific language/platform to work with - no chance. If I were entering software development field now, I'd pick up mobile (more specifically, Android), this should be in demand for the next couple of decades, at least.

Or else, if you really like Perl and Lisp, learn Ruby - Perl's younger and prettier sister that also happens to have first class closures. A good half of Silicon Valley web startups are using it on the backend, and there is actually a big shortage of skilled developers there. No telling how long it may last - I was half-expecting that particular bubble to pop three years ago, and I was proven wrong.
RedHerring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 22:32   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Oh the idea of getting a LBC (little British car) is a great idea. Learn engine, electrical and body work and all of it will transfer to boating. I can recommend anything made by Triumph or MG.

If you can rebuild a gas engine then all of that works for diesel too. Pretty much no-one messes with the Diesel injector pump anyway as it needs a flow bench to set up right. Pretty much everything else, adjusting belts, adjusting valves is the same for diesel or gas.

British cars have Lucas electrics ( know affectionately as the prince of darkness) which will be a great introduction into 12V wiring repair and more importantly diagnostics. BTW most of the wiring problems with LBC's will be due to galvanic corrosion between the copper wire and aluminum spade connections.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 14:54   #26

Boat: St. Francis 44 mkII

1. learn the skills to use a a boat..

a) weather,
b) navigation and celestial navigation.
c) knots & rules of the road
d) sailing: take no more vacations and use that time/money for an ASA cruising vacation/course in the BVI.

2. learn how to take care of your OWN boat..

a) Diesels,
b) electrics & plumbing
c) fiberglass repair,
d) varnishing and basic woodworking

3. figure out a way to earn some cash..

IMO its none of the above imo as most capable cruiser can do all of that so if i were in your shoes I would buy a sailrite sewing machine and learn how to sew...
Mystic38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 15:16   #27
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
After that, I think I would work on diesel mechanics. Buy an old diesel-engined car and determine to do as much of the maintenance and repair on it yourself as you possibly can.
An old Diesel Landrover? - would get to practice the welding skills as well, steel and aluminium! plus a good grounding (geddit!) in Electrics.

On the book end I would go for basic Navigation (and even a qualification if you can whilst being landlocked), and if you have a mind for it then by all means have a crack at Celestial Navigation.

Given it sounds like a tight budget will be the norm later as well, I suggest reading up on how to buy a s/h boat (what to look for / how to self survey) and where possible learn first hand from poking around in other people's boats.

That sewing machine thing is a good idea if time on your hands (don't of course have to start learning with a marine sewing machine). Fibreglassing would also be of use, if not for a top quality finish at least enough not to be afraid of it.

Even though a 7 hour round trip away from the water, I would still aim to get as much time afloat as you could - ideally on own boat, in this case I would suggest a trailable sailing dinghy. Could even build one, perhaps as the tender for the boat to come later?.....will learn a lot from being skipper and owner (different skillsets) of any sized boats.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 15:22   #28

Practise sailing:

44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 15:30   #29

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

You do not mention what you are studying. Why not switch to a merchant marine academy. You will learn all the needed skills and once you graduate and start sailing for $$$ you can cruise for pleasure on your off time. If you would rather run yachts after graduation that is also an option.
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 15:36   #30

Boat: Boden 36 Triple chine long keel steel, named Nekeyah

I suggest you move to the coast and join a sailing club. The woman will find you.
Regards,
Richard.
boden36 is offline   Reply With Quote