Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-04-2015, 09:18   #16

Boat: Hunter 386
Re: If you were moving to the U.S.,

Quote:
Originally Posted by foothillsailor View Post
Why limit your thinking to one city or even one area? ---if you are 60 with 15 years ahead of you (lucky you ...wish I knew how much line was left on my reel) then why not think of a cruising area that can easily extend or lead into another area and then another and then ......

If it was me I'd take a very hard look at starting out in the Pacific North-West---the Salish sea, San Juan's, the Gulf Islands, the Broken Islands, Desolation Sound, Queen Charlotte Islands, the inland passage all the way up to Alaska--no language barriers, no culture shock, cheaper (your US dollar goes 20% further in Canada), good marinas and service providers, friendly non-armed Canadians etc

--then after 4 years or so (it will take you that long to even start to scratch the surface)you can start cruising south---(you probably won't want to spend too long in foggy and rough Oregon) and slowly cruise along California (enjoy a season or two in SF) to San Diego---good sailing, friendly marinas and people, good availability of parts and service ec.

---then into Mexico (don't be scared off by all the bad news alarmist propaganda about Mexico--I've spent 10+ years of seasonal/winter cruising in Mexico, even drive down each year and never experienced or heard of other cruisers experiencing even the slightest hint of trouble or danger -except for the occasional theft of an unsecured dinghy), friendly people, not expensive, interesting, warm--spend a couple of years in the Sea of Cortez (summers WILL be hot)

--then down to Panama (a season or two in its San Blas islands) and then through the Canal into the Caribbean --after that you'l be so old you probably will be doing your cruising on board a cruise ship :-)

-and almost all of it down-wind sailing too !!!
Old 19-04-2015, 09:19   #17

Unless you're planning to buy a house or a condo and lead a more sedentary life why not commute for the best of both worlds? Many people spend their summers in Northeast and their winters down in FL or Carribean. A sail up north at exactly this time with a proper weather window is only 5-7 days in a 45+ footer and a sail south in the fall with proper planning is only 3-4 weeks at most with nice and interesting stops on the way or a straight shot of under 2 weeks (but more tiresome of course). Also for anyone who is of retirement age the quality of medical care in Northeast can't be beat. Florida boonies - not so much. Not an unimportant consideration if you're 55-60 plus.
Island Time O25 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2015, 09:21   #18

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

The Channel Islands off of LA are fabulous. If you have a boat of that size I am thinking that will be your primary domicile. You didn't say if you have family living with you on this new boat.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2015, 09:25   #19

Florida or Western Florida. Unless you are just daysailing.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2015, 09:27   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
Can you cite where you got this from? Please
WHO | Global report on Fukushima nuclear accident details health risks
Old 19-04-2015, 10:18   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Limiting the choices to just one city and an area where it never snows pretty much narrows down the options. I live in FL and just don't see 15 years worth of cruising in any part of FL or the neighboring states for that matter.
So, one city, no snow, ignore the tax issue, traffic, cost of living then San Francisco would be my choice.

But I have to second the recommendation for commuting on the east coast. SE to Florida or the Gulf Coast for winter, NE for the summer. New England is a great cruising ground and a shame to miss but winters, forget it.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2015, 10:40   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Yes, Califorina state tax is about 10 percent. Add on sales tax of roughly 9 percent, varies place to place. Property tax is about 1% though if liveaboard you can take a homeowners exemption which reduces that a bit. A single bedroom apartment a hour ish away from SF is ~$1200/month. More then twice that in the city.

But you can liveaboard for~$600-700 a month for a slip. Some liveaboard and sail for far less. But your not in the central bay. Sailing is good year round, really not much cooler in the winter on the bay. September/October are the warm months on the water.

The delta is fantastic in the summer, least to me. I'll be heading up that way in a few weeks.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2015, 10:45   #23

Boat: Challenger 32 1974

What about San Andres, still Colombian territory, great climate, safe, easy access.
Bill
anacapaisland42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2015, 10:50   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
I don't mean to be changing the subject, but why the USA? Why not Europe and the Med? Or the South Pacific? Much more to see and do in other places unless you just want to sit and be in one place.

I wanted to mention in the OP that Croatia was a possibility as I have some access to citizenship there, but never a Passport. My relatives there are working on it; all the records of my families births were destroyed in the war. It could easily be doable, though. We spoke a peasant Croatian, so I cannot speak with any educated Croatian. Spanish was hard enough to learn in my old age, and there's still quite a few that I don't understand a word they're saying after 15 years. Learned English real easy as a child, then studied French all through school, and Japanese in grad school...no problem; but trying to learn a language at my age is really tough.

I've wondered how many of you cruisers get along in a foreign country without speaking the language?

How easily does a 50Hz boat transfer to the Americas?

Now I'm totally confused about where to go, and no one said anything good about Stuart.....I guess maybe the tax advantages.
cards26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2015, 10:57   #25

On the West Coast, which I like very much, I'm not using a faith based interpretation of the mainstream media as almost everyone does on events like Fukushima. I took the Socratic Method in school. Question everything!!!

Tepco has told so many lies that they wouldn't fit on a large spreadsheet. Google is your friend on 'Tepco's lies.'
Old 19-04-2015, 11:17   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Limiting the choices to just one city and an area where it never snows pretty much narrows down the options. I live in FL and just don't see 15 years worth of cruising in any part of FL or the neighboring states for that matter.
So, one city, no snow, ignore the tax issue, traffic, cost of living then San Francisco would be my choice.

But I have to second the recommendation for commuting on the east coast. SE to Florida or the Gulf Coast for winter, NE for the summer. New England is a great cruising ground and a shame to miss but winters, forget it.

For the timeframe, I'm stating only for the first couple of years; I'm sure things will change. People here write that there's all kinds of problems with a new boat, and if I go with the Seaward, then I'm right there in Stuart where it can be broken in.

That shoal draft boat is awesome for the Bahamas an the Keys, and then maybe a trip to Nova Scotia in the summers.

Someone mentioned Long Island Sound, .....I went to High School on Eastern LI, and I have some fond memories of that area too.

I'm RH-, so I run a little warm and colder weather is much more appealing to me. (No snow, though)

It maybe too late, anyway. I took this test this morning that is supposed to tell you how long you'll live. I'm supposed to die this year!

https://youtu.be/oQIbffQj2xM
Old 19-04-2015, 11:19   #27

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

I can't speak to Stuart, but I lived in Gainesville, FL and it is very hot and very humid in the summer.

In terms of weather, there is not an ideal location, many people who can afford it live in two places, and if you only 'visit' less than 6 months a year, you can usually live somewhere without being a citizen.

The sf bay is quite good, but is an expensive place to live.

If it is a good place to live, it will be full of people living there,
and that in itself is a reason not to live somewhere for some people..
Old 19-04-2015, 11:31   #28

Boat: Able 50

If SF Bay is where you want to be then the weather in Alameda really is so much warmer. It is quite amazing but really is 5 degrees warmer on a bad day and can be 10 degrees more if it is sunny. There are lots of marinas on the estuary to pick from - is it 5 ?
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2015, 11:31   #29

Covers all the best bases. While the East Coast is beautiful (Maine to Florida) there are different "challenges" there, ranging from crab/lobster pots to no summer wind to Florida politicians!

Sailing is great from the PNW all the way to Mexico.

SAILING. As in NOT motoring.

Good luck on your decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foothillsailor View Post
Why limit your thinking to one city or even one area? ---if you are 60 with 15 years ahead of you (lucky you ...wish I knew how much line was left on my reel) then why not think of a cruising area that can easily extend or lead into another area and then another and then ......

If it was me I'd take a very hard look at starting out in the Pacific North-West---the Salish sea, San Juan's, the Gulf Islands, the Broken Islands, Desolation Sound, Queen Charlotte Islands, the inland passage all the way up to Alaska--no language barriers, no culture shock, cheaper (your US dollar goes 20% further in Canada), good marinas and service providers, friendly non-armed Canadians etc

--then after 4 years or so (it will take you that long to even start to scratch the surface)you can start cruising south---(you probably won't want to spend too long in foggy and rough Oregon) and slowly cruise along California (enjoy a season or two in SF) to San Diego---good sailing, friendly marinas and people, good availability of parts and service ec.

---then into Mexico (don't be scared off by all the bad news alarmist propaganda about Mexico--I've spent 10+ years of seasonal/winter cruising in Mexico, even drive down each year and never experienced or heard of other cruisers experiencing even the slightest hint of trouble or danger -except for the occasional theft of an unsecured dinghy), friendly people, not expensive, interesting, warm--spend a couple of years in the Sea of Cortez (summers WILL be hot)

--then down to Panama (a season or two in its San Blas islands) and then through the Canal into the Caribbean --after that you'l be so old you probably will be doing your cruising on board a cruise ship :-)

-and almost all of it down-wind sailing too !!!

-that's what I've done and am doing ---only mistake was transited west coast of USA too quickly

-just my 2 bits FWIW
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2015, 11:32   #30
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

Not a city, but how about the Outer Banks?