Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2018, 05:40   #46
cruiser

Boat: OPBs
Re: If you're holed, is the first thing you grab your web camera?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSgtPitt View Post
I’m now more interested in the two tidal freaks squaring off. Can we place bets on who wins?
Hahaha, I'm down..

You know, I was instructed by a Staff Sergeant Pitt in my second year of Army Apprentice School in radio trades-electronics technician
tp12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 06:12   #47

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5

I appreciated Plukky's equipoise in filming and publishing a bad outcome. Sailing and cruising is not always fun and bikinis.
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 09:36   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I guess what turns me off about YouTube, is it’s all acting, trying to be portrayed as real life, but it’s such bad acting and fake.
I know that is going to incense many that have YouTube hero’s, but that is my take on it.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 09:41   #49

Agree 100%, the same as “reality” shows.
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 09:47   #50

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I guess what turns me off about YouTube, is it’s all acting, trying to be portrayed as real life, but it’s such bad acting and fake.
I know that is going to incense many that have YouTube hero’s, but that is my take on it.
Sorry guys, you're stuck with only lil ole me defending this since there aren't any other youtube 'stars' on this thread as far as i can determine....and we're far from stars. But.

It isn't fake. We aren't fake. What we've been doing is setting up a few gopros in the cockpit, running them, and doing whatever we normally do. You think without cameras the girls aren't gonna be naked or in bikinis? Or we're not gonna go diving or scrape the hull? Or sail to find some new place to explore? Sure, some things we record for the viewers' edification, like I wouldnt explain how the watermaker works to kitty or cristina, so i make some water and talk people through it. But that isn't really fake; we make water a few times a week anyway.

I don't know about any people artificially generating drama, I'm sure they are out there, but from the YT channels I follow, I don't see much of that.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 10:06   #51

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 12:14   #52

Location: Thhe boat is in Titusville, FL and we're back in CO for a few months resupplying the cruising kitty and raising money for our childrens dental charity www.sailing4smiles.com
Boat: 1982 Cape Dory 36 Hull #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp12 View Post
Hahaha, I'm down..

You know, I was instructed by a Staff Sergeant Pitt in my second year of Army Apprentice School in radio trades-electronics technician
I did a little instructing, but it was USMC and involved things that maim & dismember and LandNav so you could maim & dismember in the correct 8 digit grid coordinate.
SSgtPitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 12:19   #53

Location: Thhe boat is in Titusville, FL and we're back in CO for a few months resupplying the cruising kitty and raising money for our childrens dental charity www.sailing4smiles.com

Now I’m hoping to maim & dismember some tuna, mahimahi, conch, lobster as I cruise around drinking mai-tai’s enjoying beautiful sunsets and trying not to sink the boat.
Old 04-10-2018, 18:05   #54

Boat: 45ft Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyan View Post
Good heavens, where do these ideas come from? Can you cite ONE reference? You may want to view the previous link. In it you will find that the propagation velocity of tide-related waves are not fast enough to keep up with the earth’s rotation because they move at 400 miles per hour and reverse every 6 hours. That means that the effects of any tide wave are reversed before it goes more than 2400 hundred miles at most. Did you know that the poles are more than 12000 miles apart?
Google 'amphidromic points'. These tidal peaks/nodes are spaced less than your 2,400 miles upper limit for tide related waves.
These are tide related 'standing waves.'
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 18:22   #55

I wager $10 on DumnMad to win in 7 more posts.
Old 05-10-2018, 07:27   #56

If you're holed, is the first thing you grab your web camera?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumnMad View Post
Google 'amphidromic points'. These tidal peaks/nodes are spaced less than your 2,400 miles upper limit for tide related waves.

These are tide related 'standing waves.'
That’s precisely the point I was making. There is no longer wavelength than that. There is no global south to north “pumping”. You speak of “pumped north moving diffractions” as if waves from the south have a magical effect on the tides in the north. The nodes are indeed fixed and less than 2400 miles and all over the globe. The tides move in circular waves around these nodes, sometimes to the NORTH, sometimes to the SOUTH. This is what you were missing. It depends where you are and how the moon, sun, and coriolis forces interact.
cyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 00:18   #57

Boat: Hanse 531

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdege View Post
Yes, I know the world is full of sailing YouTube stars, but I find it difficult to believe I'd be filming if this happened to me.
I guess if it's a business then getting it "on tape" will be a priority. Obviously staying alive is another.

Regarding the self-promoting aspect of this, I guess it doesn't differ much from writing books about one's adventures, except for the fact that books aren't usually written in "real time"
Old 06-10-2018, 04:45   #58

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
I would not call it "fake" or acting so much as I would say it's usually an incomplete view. You get content that is edited for entertainment or interest value, which is entirely logical. And a few YT'ers have explicitly stated as much. They could upload videos of spending two hours doing laundry but it would really kill their subs and likes.

I've run into a few YT sailing "stars" and they were for the most part exactly like they were in their videos. It's a very small sample size but seems to me that "what you see is what you get" when it comes to the majority of these folks.

Tags
camera