Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-05-2017, 11:23   #31

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid
Re: I'll acknowledge the elephant in the room...Full keel is dead... ssb is dead...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag
trolls are excellent baked after parboiling.

Omg! Did you post that to the boat recipe thread? I have never thought to parboil first. That must make for some tender troll.
You just have to make sure they are not exposed to daylight first.
Old 30-05-2017, 11:28   #32

Boat: 1967 Pearson 35
Re: I'll acknowledge the elephant in the room...Full keel is dead... ssb is dead...

Full keel boats come in varieties. My Pearson 35 weights 13000 lbs. A Westsail 32 weights 20,000 lbs. So I don't really need a giant bows print etc, and not particularly prone to broaching either

SSB well depends on what you're using it for. One to one talk, sure get a sat phone. But one to many?

I should point out that the Internet is also dying. We have the Outernet coming soon. Nota joke, really.
Cyrus Safdari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2017, 11:30   #33

Boat: Currently in between

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
He forgot to mention guns
And he forgot the biggest coming change: 15 knots with electric propulsion for 12 hours on a small battery bank and 1 solar panel.
Old 30-05-2017, 11:35   #34

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

During a trip around the Southampton Boat Show (one of the biggest in Europe) a couple of years ago, I couldn't find anything other than fin keel or lifting keel yachts.

The Icom stand didn't even have an SSB radio on display, said they couldn't get hold of one for the show.

Perhaps a sign of the times, will historians look back at this period in time the same way we look back at Dinosaurs
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2017, 11:46   #35

Boat: Custom sailing catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
hahahahahahahahaha
i woudnot change my full keel monohull for any thing you felt like sitting in front of me except a formosa 51. that i would take. err trade for. oh they are also full keel heavy cruisers.
trolls are excellent baked after parboiling.
Ha ha. Still some dinosaurs left I see. That like spending weeks going to windward in a half tide rock.
KJThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2017, 11:47   #36

Brilliant troll. And all true. LOL.
Old 30-05-2017, 11:50   #37

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJThomas View Post
Ha ha. Still some dinosaurs left I see.
Yes, they're called birds!
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2017, 11:50   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyDaveNY View Post
From Ghostbusters:
"I like to read a lot." "Print is Dead."

I wish I had a dollar for every time someone said something is dead. Funny, people still ride horses. Real Drivers still drive cars with manual gearboxes. People still use HAM radios and some even know Morse Code. The U.S. Navy finally has gone back to teaching celestial navigation.

The new and "improved" things and techniques have their place, but they also have their limitations. Rarely is something truly dead. It may not be new. It may not be sexy. It may even be looked down upon. Most likely though it has its merits and in many cases may even be superior.
Still driving a manual car. I pity you.
Old 30-05-2017, 11:57   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
During a trip around the Southampton Boat Show (one of the biggest in Europe) a couple of years ago, I couldn't find anything other than fin keel or lifting keel yachts.

The Icom stand didn't even have an SSB radio on display, said they couldn't get hold of one for the show.

Perhaps a sign of the times, will historians look back at this period in time the same way we look back at Dinosaurs
Perhaps, or perhaps things will come full circle. In the aviation industry, as well as in the military, people have realized that we can't rely on GPS like we thought we could. Worse, it may not be available. There is discussion about bringing back some updated older technology such as e-Loran. The U.S. Navy has wisely admitted their foolishness and brought back celestial navigation.

Certainly the newer technologies have many great features. Alas, like all things, the more complicated they become, the more fragile they are. My answer is this; why suffer from the tyranny of OR when you can have the genius of AND?!

Besides, knowing the fundamentals allows one to actually use the more advanced items to full effect. Without knowing the basics, you are simply following a tracking arrow or operating a vessel as opposed to actually navigating or actually sailing.
Old 30-05-2017, 11:59   #40

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzstar View Post
Were to trying to trade an elephant to get a goat?
Goats are still in high demand I see. >:^)=
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2017, 12:01   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJThomas View Post
Still driving a manual car. I pity you.
Why pity me? I am driving as opposed to operating a vehicle. As an added bonus, the car is far less likely to be stolen or car jacked! Too many people can only put the transmission into D for dummy.
Old 30-05-2017, 12:21   #42

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Bacchus View Post
And he forgot the biggest coming change: 15 knots with electric propulsion for 12 hours on a small battery bank and 1 solar panel.
You mean you don't have that?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2017, 12:22   #43

Boat: longing for a trimaran

Enjoyed this post.
Still, as an audiophile who prefers vinyl, and a driver who still prefers manual, there is something about the attention/effort one places on his craft that increases the interaction and pleasure.
Lest we will all be sailing inside, in a Rapier 550, one hand on that Momo steering wheel.
tatomaceda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2017, 12:26   #44

Boat: 97 Hunter 430 43 ft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valmika View Post
Good Morning Zee. There is some crazy guy trying to get 40K for a Formosa 51 partnership down in Costa Rica or something. He has been advertising on LA CL for years. Calling it the Captain Ron Boat. he wants to bring it up to LA for Charter. He wanted to buy some 3/8 BBB from me once and spent about 30 minutes trying to convince me to take him and the chain to Costa Rica on my boat for a couple hundred dollars. I bet you could make him an offer and pick it up cheap. Just checked, yep he is still there

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/ws...111928242.html
He says ot the captain ron boat.....i was under the impression it is at watergate marina in kemah.
Tkeeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2017, 12:38   #45

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatomaceda View Post
Enjoyed this post.
Still, as an audiophile who prefers vinyl, and a driver who still prefers manual, there is something about the attention/effort one places on his craft that increases the interaction and pleasure.
Lest we will all be sailing inside, in a Rapier 550, one hand on that Momo steering wheel.
One hand on a joy stick. I guess that and an autopilot is fine for those that like it. Cargo ships yes, sailing for the enjoyment of sailing I might even prefer the feel of a tiller again.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keel, ssb