Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-04-2019, 12:39   #16

Re: Importing a Canadian built boat to Canada

It is required to ge the US Coastguard to unregister the boat first...at least if you want to register it federally.
Eder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2019, 14:11   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eder View Post
It is required to ge the US Coastguard to unDOCUMENT the boat first...at least if you want to register it federally in Canada.

The OP said it was registered in the US and could be confusing using the wrong terminology.

Once more:

US: federal = documented; State by State = registered (i.e., certificate of registration usually with State DMV)

Canada: federal - registered; province by province = licensed
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2019, 14:25   #18

Boat: Prout Quasar 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
The OP said it was registered in the US and could be confusing using the wrong terminology.

Once more:

US: federal = documented; State by State = registered (i.e., certificate of registration usually with State DMV)

Canada: federal - registered; province by province = licensed
The boat is registered in WA, the current owner will de-register the boat the day I give him the money, then I will sail it back to Canada same day (its only about 25 knot sail to where I need to check in).
Old 28-04-2019, 17:49   #19

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by techmans View Post
You can't register it until after it has been imported.
Registration and importing are two separate issues.

You can purchase a boat in the USA, register it as a canadian flagged vessel, and never pay any tax...until you bring it into canada.

I purchased a (US made) boat in the USA, and brought it into canada. I had to pay HST at the border (ouch). Once home I began the registration process, which took a few weeks. Part of the paperwork was the de-registration form from the US, which the seller provided me.

I suppose all the contradictory messages posted here are not doing anything to make the situation any less confusing.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2019, 19:21   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by techmans View Post
You can't register it until after it has been imported.
This is incorrect. I am a Transport Canada Appointed Tonnage Measurer and routinely perform Tonnage Measurements and handle Canadian registrations for out of country vessels.
Old 28-04-2019, 20:43   #21

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by madprops View Post
The boat is registered in WA, the current owner will de-register the boat the day I give him the money, then I will sail it back to Canada same day (its only about 25 knot sail to where I need to check in).
Just to keep things nautical; Methinks you meant to say "25 NM (nautical miles)" to your check-in destination. The term 'KNOTS' being a measurement of speed . . . but I'm sure you knew that.
Sailorbob8599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2019, 07:08   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorbob8599 View Post
Just to keep things nautical; Methinks you meant to say "25 NM (nautical miles)" to your check-in destination. The term 'KNOTS' being a measurement of speed . . . but I'm sure you knew that.
Haha thanks for catching that
Old 29-04-2019, 07:12   #23

Boat: Dufour 39 Frers

If is very simple:

You need to prove to the border agent that the GST was paid for the boat when it was (if it has been already) owned by a Canadian citizen.

If you cannot display a proof of that, then it will be considered that you are importing the boat. You will need to pay GST and PST or HST when crossing the border.
This will be calculated on the current value of the boat.

Otherwise, you can keep the boat in-bound (not paying GST/PST/HST taxes), but you cannot cruise into Canadian waters.
Emouchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2019, 11:41   #24

Ok I called the CBSA,

They said as long as I get a certificate of construction or other evidence that says it was built in Canada then I will not have to pay the 10% duty on the boat, I will have to pay GST and that's it. He told me to sail it right to a CBSA dock and bring them my bill of sale and evidence it was built in Canada, they will check me in and I will pay them 5% GST. Then I sail to my home port and register the boat.

Now the real problem with that is I'm not sure how to prove the boat was built in Canada. Its a Folkes 39' steel hull sailboat and its hard to find any information online. any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Old 29-04-2019, 11:51   #25

Boat: Camano 41

Mad, I brought the vessel into Canada, went right to my slip in Vancouver and called CBSA. They didn't have anyone available, matter of fact no Canadian official ever saw the boat, except when I Blue booked her, for the inspection. They just imported her based on the bill of sale. Registering in BC will trigger the BC sales tax, something CBSA would know nothing of, or at least offer an opinion on.
Greg Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2019, 11:52   #26
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by madprops View Post
Ok I called the CBSA,

They said as long as I get a certificate of construction or other evidence that says it was built in Canada then I will not have to pay the 10% duty on the boat, I will have to pay GST and that's it. He told me to sail it right to a CBSA dock and bring them my bill of sale and evidence it was built in Canada, they will check me in and I will pay them 5% GST. Then I sail to my home port and register the boat.

Now the real problem with that is I'm not sure how to prove the boat was built in Canada. Its a Folkes 39' steel hull sailboat and its hard to find any information online. any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
In most instances a photo of the HIN/MIC would be sufficient proof. I doubt you actually have one but worth a look.

If the Boat was USCG Documented their database may show country of build (sometimes it does, sometimes it don't) and I'd imagine USCG data would be sufficient. If they don't show country on their database, they would certainly have it on file.

If she was ever Transport Canada registered they would have that information on file and again that would be sufficient proof.
Old 29-04-2019, 12:06   #27

David Folkes has passed away and so I suspect has his company so no joy going for an original document from the manufacturer.

I think you will need to provide anecdotal evidence gleaned from the web to provide some assurance of the Canadian origin of manufacturing, or perhaps obtain the import documentation when it was brought into the USA from a prior owner or ship's log and document book which may have been handed down through the years.

Reference boats made by Folkes Manufacturing, not a complete listing but maybe has your boat listed.

Vessels Built by Folkes Manufacturing Ltd. and David Folkes

Vessels Built by Folkes Manufacturing Ltd. and David Folkes
compiled by John M. MacFarlane 2013

They were located at Columbia Valley BC, Sardis BC near Abbotsford BC. Some vessels were also apparently built in Coquitlam and Port Coquitlam BC. Also perhaps at Maple Ridge.

Vessels Built by Folkes Manufacturing Ltd.

To quote from this article please cite:

MacFarlane, John M. (2015) Vessels Built by Folkes Manufacturing Ltd. and David Folkes Nauticapedia.ca 2015. Vessels Built by Folkes Manufacturing Ltd. and David Folkes
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 07:07   #28

Hi. I've done this twice in the past. First time I bought an Alberg30 in New York State and had it trucked to Ottawa. Second time a buddy bought an Alberg37 that we sailed from Annapolis to Toronto.

There's no import duties because the boats were Canadian made. You may need to prove somehow that they were built in Canada. And you'll definitely need a bill of sale to get across the border, and register the boat in Canada later.

It's been a while so I can't speak to any retaliatory tariffs that people have mentioned.
Tharsheblows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 13:38   #29

Boat: Corbin 39

The Canadian Vessel Registration Query System web page has a good search feature. Select "use advanced search" from the paragraph near the bottom of the page and enter Folkes in the builder text box. Clicking on any of the registration numbers in the retrieved list will display details for the vessel including builder information and where built.

Vessel Registration Query System
GeorgeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 09:25   #30

I purchased a 30 foot Islander (American built) June 28 2019 and imported to Canada on July 1,2019.
I dealt with CBSA via phone and Visa card... could not have been simpler.
The agents I dealt with were in Hamilton,Ontario and I was floating off Sidney, B.C. (I had actually phoned to ascertain the location of the Customs dock - they suggested we complete the transaction by phone!)
The gentleman I purchased the boat from gave me a (self made)bill of sale as well as any 'official' paperwork/documentation he had, and I don't believe I was ever required to produce it...

My advice? Smile and be friendly, don't attempt to mislead, and enjoy your boat!

PS. : tell us all how it works out!
bazan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, Canada, import