Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-05-2019, 12:07   #31

Boat: Prout Quasar 50
Re: Importing a Canadian built boat to Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazan View Post
I purchased a 30 foot Islander (American built) June 28 2019 and imported to Canada on July 1,2019.
I dealt with CBSA via phone and Visa card... could not have been simpler.
The agents I dealt with were in Hamilton,Ontario and I was floating off Sidney, B.C. (I had actually phoned to ascertain the location of the Customs dock - they suggested we complete the transaction by phone!)
The gentleman I purchased the boat from gave me a (self made)bill of sale as well as any 'official' paperwork/documentation he had, and I don't believe I was ever required to produce it...

My advice? Smile and be friendly, don't attempt to mislead, and enjoy your boat!

PS. : tell us all how it works out!

What a trip that was! the weather could not have been better, the boat was amazing, myself and crew had an amazing time on our 3 day trip.

The check in could not have been easier. There was a phone at the top of the dock and I just called in. everything was done over the phone and GST and PST were paid, the boarder workers caught my lines at the dock and were very nice, I tried to show them all my paperwork but they just told me to use the phone at the top of the dock. it took about 20 minutes but was super easy. Just make sure you have all your info there. checked in my crew at the same time to.

way easier than I thought it would be. now to register the boat in Canada :-)
Old 17-05-2019, 18:22   #32

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
I purchased a 30 foot Islander (American built) June 28 2019 and imported to Canada on July 1,2019.
Today is May 17, 2019. Are you a time traveler?
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2019, 19:13   #33

Ha!
Well done hamberking! I'm busted!
...uuhhm, better make that 2018!
(and don't tell border services)
bazan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2019, 10:13   #34

Quote:

Today is May 17, 2019. Are you a time traveler?

No time traveling involved just must be using the Canadian version of the Aztec calendar for reporting the import, eh?

The Canadian calendar differs by just one year forward and a leap back day from our Montaña version of the Aztec calendar, the boat being yankee built after all.

And the Islander comes equipped with with a flux capacitor instead of a standard house bank of batteries.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	museum-of-anthropology.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	192277  
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2019, 20:49   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by madprops View Post
What a trip that was! the weather could not have been better, the boat was amazing, myself and crew had an amazing time on our 3 day trip.

The check in could not have been easier. There was a phone at the top of the dock and I just called in. everything was done over the phone and GST and PST were paid, the boarder workers caught my lines at the dock and were very nice, I tried to show them all my paperwork but they just told me to use the phone at the top of the dock. it took about 20 minutes but was super easy. Just make sure you have all your info there. checked in my crew at the same time to.

way easier than I thought it would be. now to register the boat in Canada :-)

Congratulations.

Could you share with us just WHERE you checked in? You know, since a lot of what we shared with you had to do with just that fact.

Can you also share just why "...GST and PST were paid..." if you were simply returning a Canadian built boat? You know, since a lot of what we shared with you had to do with just that fact.

Welcome home.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 21:38   #36

Boat: Prout Quasar 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Congratulations.

Could you share with us just WHERE you checked in? You know, since a lot of what we shared with you had to do with just that fact.

Can you also share just why "...GST and PST were paid..." if you were simply returning a Canadian built boat? You know, since a lot of what we shared with you had to do with just that fact.

Welcome home.
Sorry for the late response.

I checked in at Bedwell Harbour on South Pender Island (in the golf islands BC, Canada). I used the phones at the top of the dock (there is a dock that is well marked for check in only, you can tie up there and check in). It took about 30 minutes but it would have been only 5 minutes if I wasn't bringing in a new (to me) boat. I paid the GST and PST over the phone with a credit card I never did get a proper explanation about it (to be honest it didn't add up to as much as I thought it was going to, so I stopped asking questions). There was no duty charged because the boat was built in Canada (the trade war has chilled out a bit so there should be no more duty on US boats anymore anyway). I paper was mailed to my mailing adress but i have not been home to pick it up, ill post an update as soon as I do.

The guy on the phone was really nice. I think he was easier on me because I had all of my paperwork in order including crew documents.

The boarder enforcement boat had docked just before I did, one of them was nice enough to catch my dock line. The guy on the phone put me on hold and called the enforcement team that was standing 5 meters away from me and asked them if they wanted to search the boat, they all looked at me and had a good chuckle before they said no. It was clear I was super nervous and trying my best to do everything by the book, I even asked my crew to stay on the boat till we were checked in, the enforcement team said it was ok for them to walk around.... made me look like I was being super controlling for no reason lol.

South Pender Island was such a good time, I cant wait to go back!

If anyone has any questions just ask and ill do my best to answer them

A huge thanks to everyone who helped me out on this! the new boat is much better then I had hoped!

Tags
boat, Canada, import