Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2020, 17:34   #1

In Mast Furling Issues

Just bought 2008 Hunter 33 and am having issues. I can’t seem to raise the mainsail enough to straighten out the sail. I completely unfurl it, but have 12 inches overlapping at the bottom. Big issue is when I try to furl back in, the loose section folds and jams the fuller. I’ve pulled the main halyard as tight as possible, but just won’t go any further.
JimmyB55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 07:44   #2

Re: In Mast Furling Issues

Is your mast Zspar UK ? I have the same problem with my furling main sail. Waiting for the replies.
moguzhanoguz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 08:20   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyB55 View Post
Just bought 2008 Hunter 33 and am having issues. I can’t seem to raise the mainsail enough to straighten out the sail. I completely unfurl it, but have 12 inches overlapping at the bottom. Big issue is when I try to furl back in, the loose section folds and jams the fuller. I’ve pulled the main halyard as tight as possible, but just won’t go any further.
May help to take a photo of the top of the mast/sail. Use your phone and zoom in. Also a photo of the bottom showing how much sail is left.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 09:28   #4

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058

If in mast furling, you are technically pulling it out of the mast... a pic would help to understand. Having right boom angle and some tension while pulling it out is helpful.
Old 02-06-2020, 10:10   #5

Boat: Amel 53, Super Maramu

On many boom furling systems, boom height is critical.

If the boom is too high when unrolling the sail, the top of the sail doesn't unroll. If the boom is too low, the bottom of the sail doesn't unroll properly. We are not talking fractions of an inch causing a problem, but if the topping lift or vang are significantly out of whack the sail will not be uniformly pulled from, or rolled into, the mast.
SVHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 11:12   #6

The problem is not about furling or unfurling . When raising the sail after feeding from bottom sail luff is a little longer than the mast height . Due to time sail may stretch but mine is 6 cm maximum. In your mast technical data sheet it shows distance between mast top and swivel .

Mine is 400 mm.

I believe something stucked at the top and swivel does not raise as it should.
Old 02-06-2020, 11:50   #7

Appreciate the responses. I’ll get some pics next week.
JimmyB55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 12:31   #8

In Mast Furling Issues

measure your sail luff and check your mast dimensions . Consider the “D”distance.

Attachment 1
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Adjustments.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	292.3 KB
ID:	216480  

Tags
furling, mast