Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-06-2018, 20:39   #16

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48
Re: In-water Hull Cleaning Banned In Vanuatu

I sympathize with Vanuatu and other countries that have to deal with the destruction caused by invasive species. It’s irrelevant whether Vanuatu can enforce the ban or not. This is their law and as visitors to their country, we should respect their request.

I believe that cruisers are going to have to rise to a new level of awareness of how our passages and approaches to different countries can affect the people we’re visiting. We’re learning that it’s not so simple anymore.
Old 16-06-2018, 01:07   #17
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhschneider View Post
I

I believe that cruisers are going to have to rise to a new level of awareness of how our passages and approaches to different countries can affect the people we’re visiting. We’re learning that it’s not so simple anymore.
I don't really buy that cruising yachts are the problem as what they carry on a macro level, is not a big threat. As Jim says, Ship's ballast tanks are the main culprit.

However it would not be a big deal to help to confirm their concerns.

Encourage an enterprising local to construct a Floating Pen that can be bagged with a very fine mesh.

Boat sails into Pen.
Bottom is cleaned
Boat sails out
Mesh is drawn up and samples taken to confirm concerns
The rest is incinerated.
I would happily pay to ease their minds and help in the research.
Old 16-06-2018, 16:00   #18
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
No they likely banned bottom cleaning because some started a campaign about how invasive species were found, and in order to check the “we did something” block they banned bottom cleaning.
That or someone is going to start a business of short hauls and pressure washing?
As a marine industry business owner in Vanuatu I take very strong exception to this comment. Corruption within the industry may be the norm where you come from but we in Vanuatu try very hard to play a very straight game. If you had bothered to do a smidgen of research before denigrating our marine industry you would have become aware that New Zealand has recently enacted legislation requiring boats arriving there to be cleaned and/or antifouled immediately prior to arrival and Australia will soon follow suit. In-water cleaning by crew is unlikely to satisfy these requirements and as far as I know the technology to antifoul a boat whilst it is still in the water has not yet been developed. Vanuatu is more often than not the last port of call for yachts heading to NZ or Oz so we are particularly vulnerable to the introduction of invasive species by cheapskates seeking to circumvent the requirements of other countries.
Next time you point the gun be careful where it is aimed.
Old 16-06-2018, 16:04   #19
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Well, fstbttms, et al,

What I have written is based on a combination of my experience in that area, as well as reading. It is the ships' discharging of contaminated bilge water that has been the cause in Vanuatu, as closely as I have been able to determine.

In Australia, by comparison, there is some evidence to indicate that zebra mussel infestation was transmitted by yachts.

Ann
I don't know when you were last here but I'm pretty sure that for the last 150 years Vanuatu has run a trade deficit so the likelihood of ballast water being discharged here is very low. I think you will find that the ballast water being pumped INTO ships to compensate for more cargo off loaded than onloaded is possibly compensating in some small way for sea level rise.
Old 16-06-2018, 16:39   #20
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTies View Post

In-water cleaning by crew is unlikely to satisfy these requirements and as far as I know the technology to antifoul a boat whilst it is still in the water has not yet been developed. .
Hi No Ties....good to hear from someone on site and good point about the ballast water "loading".

If I understand correctly, quarantine is concerned about invasive species arriving on foreign bottoms.

Then why not have every arriving yacht cleaned and inspected in an enclosed pen of Plankton Net as I suggested?

This would become part of an entry procedure and as some yachts would arrive with clean bottoms, it would of minimal cost.

After that, boat crew can clean off the local bottom critters, before departure to a new country.

Regular cleaning lends itself to a hard type of bottom paint as opposed to ablative, so recoating should only be needed every 2 years.

My point is that a forced drydock at every new country is not just a money thing, but a risk to the yacht and totally unnecessary if the intent is to remove foreign critters from the visitors bottom.
Old 16-06-2018, 16:54   #21

Boat: Leopard 39

The world is a mixing pot of species. That's just the way it is.
Old 16-06-2018, 17:00   #22
cruiser

It's a good idea Pelagic but Vanuatu simply doesn't have the resources to develop and implement such a system, it is far cheaper to leave compliance options to the yacht owner.
The important thing to realise here is that this is not being driven by our highly competent and incorruptible bio-security services but by the newly established Office of the Maritime Regulator and is nothing more than simply the new kids on the block flexing their industrial muscles. They don't possess the knowledge ,resources or skills to properly carry out their role so are compensating by introducing kneejerk regulations in an attempt to fool the public that they are actually doing something.
This includes the proposed introduction of compulsory registration of all vessels in Vanuatu which is an entirely unworkable and unenforceable idea.
Old 16-06-2018, 17:09   #23
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielamartindm View Post
The world is a mixing pot of species. That's just the way it is.
Do your qualifications as a marine biologist lead you to this conclusion? Having lived in and worked in industries and areas where invasive species have only appeared in recent time I tend to differ somewhat in my opinion.
Old 16-06-2018, 17:29   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
It's a good idea Pelagic but Vanuatu simply doesn't have the resources to develop and implement such a system, it is far cheaper to leave compliance options to the yacht owner.
The important thing to realise here is that this is not being driven by our highly competent and incorruptible bio-security services but by the newly established Office of the Maritime Regulator and is nothing more than simply the new kids on the block flexing their industrial muscles. They don't possess the knowledge ,resources or skills to properly carry out their role so are compensating by introducing kneejerk regulations in an attempt to fool the public that they are actually doing something.
This includes the proposed introduction of compulsory registration of all vessels in Vanuatu which is an entirely unworkable and unenforceable idea.

First you jump on me, then you state they don’t know what they are doing and are flexing their muscles, which pretty much mirrors what I said if you look.

However I’m intrigued, how am I supposed to clean my hull immediately prior to arrival? Stop in the open ocean three miles out and Dive the boat and clean it?

Is this what the 300’ ships do? How do they clean their hulls prior to arrival?
Old 16-06-2018, 17:33   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

In-water Hull Cleaning Banned In Vanuatu

It’s not just Marine life my friend.
Since I was a child I have watched the arrival of the Fire ant, kudzu vine, water hyacinth, coyotes and armadillos in South Ga. I’m sure there are others, just these are ones that I have noticed.

I don’t have a clue how to stop it, I don’t think it’s possible actually, I think the Earth is constantly changing and evolving.

However I am wondering how I can go places and show up with a clean bottom, if I’m not allowed to clean said bottom?
Old 16-06-2018, 17:43   #26
cruiser

Quote:
First you jump on me, then you state they don’t know what they are doing and are flexing their muscles, which pretty much mirrors what I said if you look.

However I’m intrigued, how am I supposed to clean my hull immediately prior to arrival? Stop in the open ocean three miles out and Dive the boat and clean it?

Is this what the 300’ ships do? How do they clean their hulls prior to arrival?
"That or someone is going to start a business of short hauls and pressure washing?" is a pretty unambiguous attack on the marine industry here.
The NZ regulations state within 30 days prior to arrival. How slow is your boat? It always amazes me that some cruisers who so profess to love the freedom the lifestyle affords them have so little regard and respect for the laws and sovereignty of the countries that host them and their boats.
Old 16-06-2018, 17:48   #27
cruiser

Quote:
It’s not just Marine life my friend.
Since I was a child I have watched the arrival of the Fire ant, kudzu vine, water hyacinth, coyotes and armadillos in South Ga. I’m sure there are others, just these are ones that I have noticed.

I don’t have a clue how to stop it, I don’t think it’s possible actually, I think the Earth is constantly changing and evolving.

However I am wondering how I can go places and show up with a clean bottom, if I’m not allowed to clean said bottom?
Simple, clean your bottom in an approved facility that retains wash water for treatment. It's called looking after the planet.
Old 16-06-2018, 18:04   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Simple, clean your bottom in an approved facility that retains wash water for treatment. It's called looking after the planet.

Where would this facility be?
Sounds like a short haul, maybe?
Old 16-06-2018, 18:25   #29
cruiser

Quote:
Where would this facility be?
Sounds like a short haul, maybe?
Most yacht destinations have yacht cleaning facilities although many do not meet best environmental practice. This is probably as a result of there being no demand from yachties to care for the environment. How many of you can put your hand on your heart and say they have refused to be pressure washed at a facility that doesn't capture and treat wash water?
It's actually a very simple and cheap thing to achieve if there is the will. Here in Vanuatu the current facilities are pretty shoddy and are harming the environment but that is changing.
Old 16-06-2018, 18:27   #30
cruiser

Don't let your use of the term shorthaul detract from your accusation that the legislation is a result of lobbying by business owners rather than the other way around.
Closed Thread

Tags
cleaning, hull, Vanuatu, water