Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-06-2018, 18:27   #31
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Re: In-water Hull Cleaning Banned In Vanuatu

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTies View Post
Simple, clean your bottom in an approved facility that retains wash water for treatment. It's called looking after the planet.
that my friend is the definition of a short haul .
Old 16-06-2018, 18:33   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
In-water Hull Cleaning Banned In Vanuatu

However you want to say it, but just to me it’s beginning to sound like if you want to go to Vanuatu, upon arrival your being hauled and the hull pressure washed?
In truth as long as it’s close to an industry standard charge and isn’t excessive, I wouldn’t mind. Might even buy a bottom job if is priced reasonably.
However not being any expert, I wonder how much worse wiping the hull off is as opposed to ships just moving thru the water.
I have never seen a facility that captures and treats the water, of course as have not seen all that many really.
Treat with what, chlorine?
Old 16-06-2018, 18:35   #33
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
that my friend is the definition of a short haul .
Yes, I realise that but our pilot friend had suggested that the legislation was a result of lobbying by someone who was building a facility. I don't take kindly to having the integrity of my industry defamed.
Old 16-06-2018, 18:37   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Yes, I realise that but our pilot friend had suggested that the legislation was a result of lobbying by someone who was building a facility. I don't take kindly to having the integrity of my industry defamed.

In truth that last sentence was a shot in the dark, but now I’m beginning to wonder if just possibly it was prophetic?

Chicken or egg is irrelevant to who pays for breakfast.
Old 16-06-2018, 18:39   #35
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
In truth that last sentence was a shot in the dark, but now I’m beginning to wonder if just possibly it was prophetic?

Chicken or egg is irrelevant to who pays for breakfast.
It is not irrelevant when it carries with it the hint of corruption.
Old 16-06-2018, 18:41   #36
cruiser

Quote:
However you want to say it, but just to me it’s beginning to sound like if you want to go to Vanuatu, upon arrival your being hauled and the hull pressure washed?
In truth as long as it’s close to an industry standard charge and isn’t excessive, I wouldn’t mind. Might even buy a bottom job if is priced reasonably.
However not being any expert, I wonder how much worse wiping the hull off is as opposed to ships just moving thru the water.
I have never seen a facility that captures and treats the water, of course as have not seen all that many really.
Treat with what, chlorine?
Where on earth did you get the notion that it is compulsory to clean a boat on or before arrival in Vanuatu? I would suggest that if you are going to have a crack at people that you apprise yourself of the facts beforehand.
Old 16-06-2018, 18:49   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
It is not irrelevant when it carries with it the hint of corruption.

I do not mean to offend, I really don’t.
However it is sort of how Business is run in the World, some call it providing a needed service, or taking advantage of a need.
I have no issue with it, just as long as I have said that it doesn’t get abused. As I said if I can get a good bottom job at a decent price, then I’d likely schedule one, I don’t think I should cruise for free, nor do I expect anyone to carry any burden based on my actions.
Most of the Keys in Fl are concerned with discharge of sewage, so they ensure that it’s actually very easy to pump out, and usually there is no charge. That tells me that they are seriously concerned for environmental damage.
However if they got aggressive and began overcharging, well then I’d start to think they were more concerned for their bank accounts than the environment.
I guess we will see if short hauls and pressure washing in approved facilities exist for the environment or other reasons when we hear what the charge is, and no I would not expect free, just not overpriced.
Old 16-06-2018, 18:55   #38
cruiser

Quote:
I do not mean to offend, I really don’t.
However it is sort of how Business is run in the World, some call it providing a needed service, or taking advantage of a need.
I have no issue with it, just as long as I have said that it doesn’t get abused. As I said if I can get a good bottom job at a decent price, then I’d likely schedule one, I don’t think I should cruise for free, nor do I expect anyone to carry any burden based on my actions.
Most of the Keys in Fl are concerned with discharge of sewage, so they ensure that it’s actually very easy to pump out, and usually there is no charge. That tells me that they are seriously concerned for environmental damage.
However if they got aggressive and began overcharging, well then I’d start to think they were more concerned for their bank accounts than the environment.
I guess we will see if short hauls and pressure washing in approved facilities exist for the environment or other reasons when we hear what the charge is, and no I would not expect free, just not overpriced.
You did offend with your implication that the legislation was a result of lobbying by someone developing a facility. An apology is usually deemed to be the appropriate response when offence is caused but of course, once it has been suggested an apology is in order any subsequent apology becomes meaningless.
Old 16-06-2018, 19:06   #39
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

It appears that it only applies to commercial vessels. If I read this article correctly
International vessels prohibited from underwater hull cleaning in Vanuatu waters | News | dailypost.vu
Old 16-06-2018, 19:35   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Where on earth did you get the notion that it is compulsory to clean a boat on or before arrival in Vanuatu? I would suggest that if you are going to have a crack at people that you apprise yourself of the facts beforehand.

Let’s see if I understand.
I have to show up with a clean bottom.
I’m not allowed to clean the bottom myself, so how is it to get cleaned?
Or am I not understanding what you have said? Have I misinterpreted?

I’m not taking a crack at anyone, but somehow you have become offended, why is that?
Old 16-06-2018, 19:38   #41
cruiser

Quote:
It appears that it only applies to commercial vessels. If I read this article correctly
International vessels prohibited from underwater hull cleaning in Vanuatu waters | News | dailypost.vu
I can't see anywhere in that article that specifies commercial vessels only. In fact the lead sentence states "As of yesterday, June 8, 2018, all international vessels entering Vanuatu are prohibited to undertake any underwater hull cleaning and discharging of their ballast waters within the country’s marine waters, especially within any ports of the Republic of Vanuatu."
Old 16-06-2018, 19:40   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

Way I read it, it didn’t state Commercial only, but did seem to imply that they were the problem, I didn’t see small Boat addressed.
I never knew divers cleaned cruise ships, wonder how many, and how long that takes.
Old 16-06-2018, 19:44   #43
cruiser

Quote:
I have to show up with a clean bottom.
I’m not allowed to clean the bottom myself, so how is it to get cleaned?
Or am I not understanding what you have said? Have I misinterpreted?

I’m not taking a crack at anyone, but somehow you have become offended, why is that?
No, you don't understand. Quite where your got the notion that you are required to arrive or depart with a clean hull is beyond me. I have never said anything to infer that at all. You do realise I assume that Vanuatu and New Zealand are not the same country? Nothing would surprise me.
Old 16-06-2018, 19:46   #44
cruiser

Quote:

You DID take a crack by inferring this legislation was a result of industry lobbying. We jail corrupt people here.
Old 16-06-2018, 20:14   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
No, you don't understand. Quite where your got the notion that you are required to arrive or depart with a clean hull is beyond me. I have never said anything to infer that at all. You do realise I assume that Vanuatu and New Zealand are not the same country? Nothing would surprise me.

No, I do understand, and in particular I thought it interesting that you pointed out two things.
1. We can’t do a good job of cleaning ourselves, and you were a little offended about people who try apparently
2. A hull has to have been cleaned within 30 days prior to arriving in New Zealand, and then you made the point that often Vanuatu is a jumping off point for New Zealand
Closed Thread

Tags
cleaning, hull, Vanuatu, water