Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-11-2019, 08:59   #376

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Re: Inboard engines and a changing world

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMan View Post
Agree!

Plus the fact that Tesla raised prices at their superchargers, they now average $.28KWh (down from $.32 due to customer rebellion!). At that price, I can drive my 2-motor hybrid across country spending less than a Tesla Model 3 spends for electric. A Tesla Model 3 averages 26KWh per 100 miles (average, more at highway speeds). At $.28, that's $7.28 per 100 miles, with a 45mpg 2-motor hybrid you can spend up to $3.27/gallon for gas and be cheaper.

So, I stop for less than 10 minutes to fill the gas tank and can drive 600 miles before stopping again.

EVs are very inconvenient for cross-country trips.
If you really are an OldMan then you wont be able to drive 600 miles without stopping or if you do you are wrecking your kidneys. Not to mention complete drop in driving awareness.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2019, 09:09   #377

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
If you really are an OldMan then you wont be able to drive 600 miles without stopping or if you do you are wrecking your kidneys. Not to mention complete drop in driving awareness.
\
If it takes you half an hour or so to pee...
Bill Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2019, 09:09   #378
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
what never heard of a thing called a condom catheter ?
even back in my heavy driving days I never went more that about 200 miles without a bladder break. But that was only about 15 minutes off the truck .
It could work with wireless charging at every rest area and truck scale then a real possibility.
Old 26-11-2019, 09:25   #379

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Selling power stored in the batteries at market based pricing.

Cite? I'm calling BS.

Also, the issue is buying power from consumers; the utilities already have the selling thing nailed.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2019, 09:28   #380
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Cite? I'm calling BS.

Also, the issue is buying power from consumers; the utilities already have the selling thing nailed.
he was referring to the end user selling excess battery power to the utility .
Old 26-11-2019, 09:34   #381
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
bet that's just the generic webpage stuff .
Clicked on the link to look at inventory and it says that they don't have any models of that car ...
I suspect you may be right.
It'll be interesting to learn their explanation, if any.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2019, 09:51   #382

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

This thread has been massively hijacked. Time to unsubscribe.
jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2019, 10:21   #383
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Inboard engines and a changing world

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
what I'm waiting for is when they beat the seal problem on wankel engines to run on diesel .

Could you imagine the saildrive powered by a 20Kg 40 hp single rotor wankel diesel engine .

At an average of a cup of fuel per hour :-):-)

Actually the seal problem was beaten years ago, but a Wankel is sort of similar to a turbine in that you can get lots of power from a small, lightweight engine, but it’s not efficient and therefore it’s a fuel hog.
And they are real tough to make pass emissions.
GM has one built and was ready to release it in the 74 Vega, and from all reports it was easily going to outlast any other engine of its day, well past 500,000 miles and back in the 70’s of an engine went 100,000 it was real unusual. It would probably have made a Vega a heck of a nice car to have.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gene...bustion_Engine

But emissions is the real coffin nail for a Wankel, Suzuki built one little bike, the RE5 that was unusual to say the least, but looming emissions I believe is what did it in.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzuki_RE5

Then in 91 Mazdaspeed won the 24 hours at Leman’s making them the only Japanese automaker to do so with their 787 Wankel, before it was outlawed. Now there is always more to the story of course but it could make 1000 HP for a very small displacement being a Wankel and Mazdaspeed de-tuned it to I think 700 or so for Leman’s meaning that it was almost unbreakable and a driver could push it as hard as he wanted and not worry. But the phenomenal sound of it, is what I would like to have heard in person.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazda_787B

This is I believe a celebratory run around the track 20 years later, but allows you to hear the sound, now Lemans cars typically sound more like American V8’s and not formula 1 engines, largely maybe because they have to run for 24 hours I’d think.
https://youtu.be/az39eqLIbyU
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2019, 10:34   #384
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Actually the seal problem was beaten years ago, but a Wankel is sort of similar to a turbine in that you can get lots of power from a small, lightweight engine, but it’s not efficient and therefore it’s a fuel hog.
And they are real tough to make pass emissions.
GM has one built and was ready to release it in the 74 Vega, and from all reports it was easily going to outlast any other engine of its day, well past 500,000 miles and back in the 70’s of an engine went 100,000 it was real unusual. It would probably have made a Vega a heck of a nice car to have.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gene...bustion_Engine

But emissions is the real coffin nail for a Wankel, Suzuki built one little bike, the RE5 that was unusual to say the least, but looming emissions I believe is what did it in.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzuki_RE5

Then in 91 Mazdaspeed won the 24 hours at Leman’s making them the only Japanese automaker to do so with their 787 Wankel, before it was outlawed. Now there is always more to the story of course but it could make 1000 HP for a very small displacement being a Wankel and Mazdaspeed de-tuned it to I think 700 or so for Leman’s meaning that it was almost unbreakable and a driver could push it as hard as he wanted and not worry. But the phenomenal sound of it, is what I would like to have heard in person.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazda_787B

This is I believe a celebratory run around the track 20 years later, but allows you to hear the sound, now Lemans cars typically sound more like American V8’s and not formula 1 engines, largely maybe because they have to run for 24 hours I’d think.
https://youtu.be/az39eqLIbyU
my little 28 hp unit is supposed to run at full throttle about an hour per gallon .
In the late 60's they installed it in boats running a hydraulic motor for propulsion in a couple at sailboat models .
A small 5 to 7 hp unit running an Inverter generator would beat out even the Honda eu2000 .
That would make running a hybrid propulsion on a sailboat really mainstream.
Old 27-11-2019, 09:30   #385

Quote:

So that's your argument? You defend cross-country in an EV regardless of the higher cost for fuel/power because you have to stop and pee often?
OldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2019, 10:42   #386
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

Actually I have done some reading cause I have been intrigued,
To fully recharge a Tesla takes about an hour or more with a Supercharger, https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesl...ger_technology
then I read that at 80 MPH you don’t get 300 mile range which makes sense as it takes a whole lot of power to go 80 MPH. Well according to one guy his mileage drops to 165 or so.
It less than 200 depending
https://teslike.com/range/

So it would seem you get to drive for two hours then spend an hour recharging, and that’s only if you get super lucky and there is a charge station every time you need one, but you know of course that even if there are enough (there aren’t where I drive) but even if there are enough they aren’t going to always be spaced perfectly, so many times you will stopping well short of when you need to top off the battery so you can make it to the next charge station.
Then I learned though that Tesloop article you linked to that using a Supercharger cuts into the life of the batteries, which agains makes sense charging from empty to full in a little more than an hour has to generate a lot of heat and kill batteries.

So it really sounds to me that you will be over in the slow lane trying to extend your range so that you can make it to the next charge station, where you get to sit for at least an hour waiting on your car to charge.
Old 27-11-2019, 10:47   #387
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Actually I have done some reading cause I have been intrigued,
To fully recharge a Tesla takes about an hour or more with a Supercharger, https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesl...ger_technology
then I read that at 80 MPH you don’t get 300 mile range which makes sense as it takes a whole lot of power to go 80 MPH. Well according to one guy his mileage drops to 165 or so.
It less than 200 depending
https://teslike.com/range/

So it would seem you get to drive for two hours then spend an hour recharging, and that’s only if you get super lucky and there is a charge station every time you need one, but you know of course that even if there are enough (there aren’t where I drive) but even if there are enough they aren’t going to always be spaced perfectly, so many times you will stopping well short of when you need to top off the battery so you can make it to the next charge station.
Then I learned though that Tesloop article you linked to that using a Supercharger cuts into the life of the batteries, which agains makes sense charging from empty to full in a little more than an hour has to generate a lot of heat and kill batteries.

So it really sounds to me that you will be over in the slow lane trying to extend your range so that you can make it to the next charge station, where you get to sit for at least an hour waiting on your car to charge.
HOW DARE YOU.

You know that pointing out facts on de fossil fueling the world is not allowed .
Old 27-11-2019, 11:37   #388
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

In 1888, Bertha Benz, Karl’s wife, took the first road trip, a 60-plus-mile round trip from Mannheim to Pforzheim to showcase the new Benz Patent Motorwagen. Along the way, she refueled by purchasing benzene (ligroin) at pharmacies. The still-standing Stadt-Apotheke (Town Pharmacy) in Wiesloch ws her first stop, and is considered the world’s first filling station (there's a memorial there).
In 19065, the Ford Model T’s gas tank was under the front seat cushion. To refill it, you had to raise the cushion, and pour the gasoline into a hole on the top of the tank. Before you could even get to that stage, though, you first had to go to a store (often the local general store, pharmacies, or blacksmith shops), where you ladled the gasoline into a container of some sort, and then, using a funnel, poured it from the container into the gas tank.
The first drive-in service station didn’t open (in Pennsylvania) until December 1, 1913. American motorists had been able to pump their own gas at filling stations since 1905, but those were little more than a pump at the curbside.
For all their differences, there is one crucial similarity between the rise of gas stations, and the coming evolution of EV stations. A century ago, the car industry had to have a national network of roads, and gas stations, before it could truly thrive. Today, the electric car is in the same position, and will, soon, truly thrive.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2019, 11:49   #389
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Sure it will but if you buy one now and expect to do any traveling your going to rent an ICE car to do it.
In truth though the real problem that had to be solved first before automobile travel could become possible was a road network.
It wasn’t fuel availability as a car back then could easily carry extra fuel and refuel a couple of times, can an electric car?
Wife and daughter are in Lanett Al now visiting her Mother and will be in Americus Ga tomorrow with her Mother, and will drive back to Jacksonville tomorrow afternoon / night.
That trip would be impossible in a Tesla or other pure electric and will be for quite sometime. They won’t become viable as the single car for me until I can drive around Mississippi, Alabama, Missouri countryside etc.

Right now if your the type that thinks 5G cell coverage is great, then you May can do with an electric car.

But speaking of roads, when are electric vehicles going to start paying their share for road maintenance?
Old 27-11-2019, 11:52   #390
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

With approx 36kw energy per gallon of diesel I would rather spend 30 minutes at the fuel dock each year.
My tank is 35 gallon or 1260kw of energy for moving the boat. As well as winter heat.
You can't do that with electric off grid on a 30 ft boat.

Tags
engine, grass