Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2021, 09:16   #556

Boat: Hake 32RK
Re: Inboard engines and a changing world

You obviously either own some petro stock or have some other interest in the petro marketplace since you state opinions as facts without any real attempt to provide any facts to support them. Its ok, you can hold on to those memories, we are ok that some people want to keep burning oil as their solution to harnessing energy to do work.....hey there are still people cutting down trees, cutting up and splitting logs to burn to stay warm in some places--just not as many. On the other hand we aren't waiting for you either....
Mauruuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2021, 10:16   #557

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauruuru View Post
You obviously either own some petro stock or have some other interest in the petro marketplace since you state opinions as facts without any real attempt to provide any facts to support them. Its ok, you can hold on to those memories, we are ok that some people want to keep burning oil as their solution to harnessing energy to do work.....hey there are still people cutting down trees, cutting up and splitting logs to burn to stay warm in some places--just not as many. On the other hand we aren't waiting for you either....
Who are you responding to?

If you haven't asked for somebody's source for info how can you make an informed response? You just assume they have no source and are making up claims out of thin air?

You appear to be making unsupported claims about somebody else's motivations. Where did you get your info about their motivations?
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2021, 11:02   #558
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
Who are you responding to?

If you haven't asked for somebody's source for info how can you make an informed response? You just assume they have no source and are making up claims out of thin air?

You appear to be making unsupported claims about somebody else's motivations. Where did you get your info about their motivations?
I think he is directing his ire at me due to my postings.
No I don't own petro stocks I do own a small trucking company. ( retired)
My stocks while nobody's business are in the energy transmission sector. Pipelines, LNG tankers, and power lines. Don't matter how the energy is produced it has to be moved .

But what any of the last few pages have to do with moving a sailboat i have no idea.

Personally I like solar power afterall humans have been moving the worlds oceans with it for thousands of years
Old 30-01-2021, 01:20   #559

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Personally I like solar power afterall before humans solar has been moving the worlds oceans for thousands of years
I have updated this for you

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2021, 01:28   #560
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
I have updated this for you

Pete
Moving as in traveling .
Old 30-01-2021, 04:47   #561
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

California’s Advanced Clean Trucks rule, means that by 2045, every new truck sold in California will be zero-emissions.
The rule, which sets zero-emission truck sales targets for manufacturers, beginning in 2024, is a major step forward in tackling deadly air pollution and controlling greenhouse gas emissions. The regulation is estimated to bring 300,000 electric trucks to California’s roads by 2035, including 17,000 semi trucks.
Electrifying trucks is an economic opportunity for fleets. Estimates of total economy-wide savings, from avoided fuel and maintenance costs, range from $7.3 to $12 billion (before accounting for health savings). Nevertheless, the regulation is essential for realizing this economic opportunity, in order to overcome market failures, that flow from the oil industry’s lock on transportation fueling, and manufacturers’ hesitancy to invest in new technology.

Cal Advanced Clean Truckshttps://ww2.arb.ca.gov/our-work/prog...n-trucks/about
And https://ww2.arb.ca.gov/resources/fac...cks-fact-sheet

The following chart shows the percent of new truck sales, by Class, that must be zero-emission through 2035:
https://www.nrdc.org/experts/patrici...an-trucks-rule

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2021, 04:52   #562

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

It’s definitely coming. And no one in charge of these changes is going to take pleasure boats into account.

Running a marine Diesel engine at some point in the future is going to be just like running a marine steam engine is now.

An expensive hobby for enthusiasts.

The earlier post about hospitals and telecommunications installations dumping standby generators for large capacity battery banks is going to happen at some point too. That was a good piece of thinking.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2021, 05:26   #563

Boat: Beneteau 423 43 feet

Micro nuclear reactors! Never worry again.....
NYSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2021, 05:39   #564

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

We're well past the deadline for the invention of the "Mr Fusion". Have to wonder, therefore, where all the extra electricity is going to come from that's going to be needed for this brave new internal combustion free world. I mean, if we start planting solar and wind farms all over land and sea, aren't we just shifting the core problems to a different stage?
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2021, 07:02   #565
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
... I mean, if we start planting solar and wind farms all over land and sea, aren't we just shifting the core problems to a different stage?
No, not really.
We’d require about 496,804,500,000 square meters, or 496,805 square kilometers, (191,817 square miles) as the area required to power the world, with solar panels. This is roughly equal to the area of Spain. At first that sounds like a lot, and it is.
But we should put this in perspective.
If divided into 5,000 super-site installations around the world (average of 25 per country), it would measure less than 10km a side for each.
According to the United Nations 170,000 square kilometers of forest is destroyed each year. If we constructed solar farms at the same rate, we would be finished in 3 years.
The Saharan Desert is 9,064,958 square kilometers, or 18 times the total required area to fuel the world.
The unpopulated area of the Sahara desert is over 9 million km², which if covered with solar panels would provide 630 terawatts total power. The Earth’s current energy consumption rate is around 13.5 TW at any given moment (including oil, gas, coal, nuclear, and hydroelectric). This measure arrives at a multiplier of 46 times the area needed.
The typical golf course covers about a square kilometer. We have 40,000 of them around the world, being meticulously maintained. If the same could be said for solar farm,s we would be almost 10% of the way there.
SES technology* would bring down the solar area required to 315,000 square kilometers (based on the 629 kW•h per square meter listed on the site sourced as from Southern California Edison and Sandia National Laboratories). This is a 40% reduction just on efficiency of the capturing device. The technology will continue to get better and better
* SESHome | SES Stirling Energy Systems

The above doesn't account for any rooftop solar installations.

A 5 MW turbine can be expected to produce 17 GWh per year (they are 40% effective from their peak rated capacity – 5 MW x 365 x 24 = 43.8 GWh). Therefore, it would require 11,748,294 of the 5 MW capacity turbines to create the same yearly output. There are 500 million cars in the world so it’s not like that’s an unattainable goal from a manufacturing standpoint. And each 5 MW turbine is a 30 year lifespan money making machine for whoever buys it. The same can not be said for my car.
But if we can build 90,000 Cape Wind size installations, we would be there on wind alone. Based on that installation, each turbine requires 1/2 square km of area for offshore sites. This would require 5.85 million square kilometers for 2030 world energy needs.
https://landartgenerator.org/blagi/w...edWindOnly.pdf

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2021, 07:07   #566

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

And going off what gord said:

Imagine just every roof, both commercial and residential with solar instead of roofing to start.

No lost space or ugly solar farms.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2021, 07:22   #567

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
And going off what gord said:

Imagine just every roof, both commercial and residential with solar instead of roofing to start.

No lost space or ugly solar farms.
Unfortunately the UK Gov cut the feed in tariff (FIT) after they ran out of money a while back. Sticking even modest solar installs on everyone's home struck me as a good idea and those that don't or won't, well they indirectly pay towards the FIT paid to others by the electrical suppliers.

I like the idea that if the car isn't being used it can be charged for free at home by solar during the day.

We do less than 5000 miles a year in the car, so could easily manage with even a small electric car if the asking price wasn't so ridiculous. If we needed to make a long journey, well just hire something bigger.

As for the yacht? hmm, buy a new diesel engine now, get 15 years of reliable free use and worry about it later. Alternatively keep an eye on electric conversions whilst nursing the existing 32yr old engine on for a bit more yet.

Will a small yacht engine run on moonshine?

Pete
Old 30-01-2021, 07:31   #568
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

Will a small yacht engine run on moonshine?

Pete
Yes the small gasoline ones will run just fine on pure ethanol. With very little modification.
You just need to replace all actual rubber gaskets and hoses with neoprene or cork.
Next just turn up the flow of fuel . You will burn approximately 30% more fuel .
Old 30-01-2021, 07:48   #569

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Perfect, a Honda genny it is then, add a gas conversion and have a multifuel genny.

Pete
Old 30-01-2021, 07:57   #570
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Perfect, a Honda genny it is then, add a gas conversion and have a multifuel genny.

Pete
I will stick with my westerbeke iron wind and my yanmar generator.
Yes I know how to make biodiesel. Just need to add some 2 cycle oil to it for lubricity.
Otherwise it will lead to excessive wear failure . The new electronic injection common rail systems don't need it.

Tags
engine, grass