Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-12-2022, 09:03   #736

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom
Re: Inboard engines and a changing world

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzazz View Post
The more interesting question is how to power commercial shipping.
On another forum a member allowed that the giant container ships should just drape flexible solar panels over the stacked-up containers to power the ship.
I'm not so sure he had a grasp of the power required to move a 100,000-ton, (or more,) ship.
I guess that during the night a bank of LiFePO4s would be used.
Old 21-12-2022, 11:34   #737

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby tug View Post
There is 300 years of oil At least 2000 years of coal in [the US] alone

Links?
Old 21-12-2022, 15:05   #738

Google it yourself we have the largest oil Reserves in the world now according to CNN fake news CNN ,I think I read recently there’s enough coal in Arkansas to supply the United States for 2000 years , we have the largest Coal reservesin the world as well if you guys don’t like me fine quit making up things ,By the way Arkansas has very little coal compared to the rest of the United States Wyoming being number one I’m pretty sure
Baby tug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2022, 15:50   #739

The Green River formation is estimated to have 3 trillion barrels of Shale oil in it, in the last hundred years the world has used 1 trillion barrels you do the math , that’s just the green river formation , there is Easily 300 years of oil left in this country
Baby tug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2022, 19:14   #740
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho View Post
The change to electric vehicles is a joke. They are powered by coal and natural gas.

When you see 300 new nuclear reactors being built as quickly as is possible, then electric vehicles (boats, cars, trucks, planes) will finally be sensible.

Until then, its a sick joke that is destroying the world's infrastructure.

I bet civilization will fall before those reactors are built.
Sir ,you nailed it! Thanks.
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2022, 19:25   #741
cruiser

I dont see a future for electric long haul heavy trucks - or airplanes. The batteries would be so large and heavy it would reduce the payload to zilch. And zilch pays no bills! For airplanes when the batteries become depleted they still weigh the same-with fossil fueled airplanes the longer they fly the lighter they become and the greater the range they can safely fly-- not so with any battery powered airplane--- they are just as heavy as when they took off way back there . Plus they will never produce thrust like a jet can so they all will be very slooow.. who wants to fly for 18+ hours to go coast to coast??? not me. Diesel and jet fuel have a great future.
Old 21-12-2022, 19:32   #742
cruiser

The big breakthrough highy touted recently by the Biden Adm about fusion is rather weird. They say they "bombarded a pea sized nuke material with 92 high powered lasers and got a continuing reaction producing more heat out by 0.01% that they put infor less than a .1 of a second timewise. What they didnt say was that the 92 lasers used lots of fossil fuel to make this happen. lolololololol
Old 21-12-2022, 19:39   #743

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby tug View Post
The Green River formation is estimated to have 3 trillion barrels of Shale oil in it, in the last hundred years the world has used 1 trillion barrels you do the math , that’s just the green river formation , there is Easily 300 years of oil left in this country
The EIA indicates that for the whole US total recoverable proven and unproven reserves of crude oil and shale oil are about 568,500 MBbl. Daily us in the US is 19.69MBbl, let's call it 20 even.

568,500MBbl / 20MBbl/d = 28,425d = 77.8yr.

For the Green River area they indicate there is about 800MBbl or about 40d of use for the US.

https://www.eia.gov/outlooks/aeo/ass...pdf/oilgas.pdf
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2022, 19:44   #744

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoleo View Post
I dont see a future for electric long haul heavy trucks - or airplanes. The batteries would be so large and heavy it would reduce the payload to zilch. And zilch pays no bills! For airplanes when the batteries become depleted they still weigh the same-with fossil fueled airplanes the longer they fly the lighter they become and the greater the range they can safely fly-- not so with any battery powered airplane--- they are just as heavy as when they took off way back there . Plus they will never produce thrust like a jet can so they all will be very slooow.. who wants to fly for 18+ hours to go coast to coast??? not me. Diesel and jet fuel have a great future.
I'm no Tesla fan but they've got a semi with a 500mi range pulling 80,000lb if I recall correctly.

Really what is going to happen is that they will standardize somewhere around a 200-300mi range and install overhead catenaries over freeways and many arterials. Trucks will use battery to get to and from major arterials and pull power off the catenary on major roadways. They are already working on this in Europe and I believe California is starting a pilot project.
Old 21-12-2022, 19:45   #745
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
The EIA indicates that for the whole US total recoverable proven and unproven reserves of crude oil and shale oil are about 568,500 MBbl. Daily us in the US is 19.69MBbl, let's call it 20 even.

568,500MBbl / 20MBbl/d = 28,425d = 77.8yr.

For the Green River area they indicate there is about 800MBbl or about 40d of use for the US.

https://www.eia.gov/outlooks/aeo/ass...pdf/oilgas.pdf
Heard all this before all over the US then technology stepped in and changed all the estimates.
Old 21-12-2022, 19:47   #746
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I'm no Tesla fan but they've got a semi with a 500mi range pulling 80,000lb if I recall correctly.

Really what is going to happen is that they will standardize somewhere around a 200-300mi range and install overhead catenaries over freeways and many arterials. Trucks will use battery to get to and from major arterials and pull power off the catenary on major roadways. They are already working on this in Europe and I believe California is starting a pilot project.
Good luck with that the grid infrastructure can't handle it .
Old 21-12-2022, 19:50   #747

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Heard all this before all over the US then technology stepped in and changed all the estimates.
Technology and discovery will probably increase the estimates of what is recoverable. Claiming there is 3TBbl in a location that is currently estimated to have about 800MBbl is just repeating somebody's marketing puffery for their stock or bond offering.
Old 21-12-2022, 19:51   #748

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Good luck with that the grid infrastructure can't handle it .
The current grid couldn't but if there is a demand, somebody will step up to accept the money to provide it. Just takes time, money and will.
Old 21-12-2022, 19:56   #749

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho View Post
The change to electric vehicles is a joke. They are powered by coal and natural gas.

When you see 300 new nuclear reactors being built as quickly as is possible, then electric vehicles (boats, cars, trucks, planes) will finally be sensible.

Until then, its a sick joke that is destroying the world's infrastructure.

I bet civilization will fall before those reactors are built.
Some are charged by renewables. Regardless, the increased efficiency of central power production, even using coal, overcomes the inefficiencies of power transmission and battery charging and produce less emissions/pollutants compared to ICE on a per mile basis.

https://afdc.energy.gov/vehicles/ele...emissions.html
Old 21-12-2022, 20:08   #750
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Some are charged by renewables. Regardless, the increased efficiency of central power production, even using coal, overcomes the inefficiencies of power transmission and battery charging and produce less emissions/pollutants compared to ICE on a per mile basis.

https://afdc.energy.gov/vehicles/ele...emissions.html
Well not really
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tweet1.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	269025  

Tags
engine, grass