Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-11-2022, 10:52   #1

Boat: 1980 Southern Cross 39
Indonesia's very poor charts

I am currently sailing in Indonesia. The charts are at least as inaccurate as when I was in Fiji 5 years ago. My sailing partner at the time had SAS Planet and some older version of Navionics loaded on her laptop. That SAS Planetvwas pretty darn good.Often better that the KAPS on my OPEN CPN which at times were taken on a cloudy day.I had OPEN CPN on my laptop with Google KAP Charts of Fiji in my directory. I am single handing these days and at present holed up in Ambon trying to get The Indonesian KAP Charts sourced for my OPEN CPN and would love to know how to get SAS Planet going. Right now all I have is Off-line Maps app on my Samsung version 12 Tablet. Not stellar but better than nothing. At 69 I am not super savvy setting this sort of thing up. I figure tho with a little straight forward instruction I could get it done. Anybody have any ideas. I am happy to pay for this technology. Cheers.from Philiosophy
philiosophy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 11:37   #2

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail
Re: Indonesia's very poor charts

I've found Jon Hacking's tutorials to be quite detailed and complete.
s/v Ocelot Cruising the World

http://www.hackingfamily.com/Cruise_...t/KAPFiles.htm

http://www.hackingfamily.com/Cruise_...nt/mbTiles.htm
Old 11-11-2022, 11:40   #3

Boat: Morgan 382

Here is a good video on the process, doing what you intend, only for Central America. SAS planet isn't a site to download charts, it is a site to build custom charts. Warning, it is very time consuming, and requires a fast internet connection. Like, for a significant area it might take a month.

If you are lucky, someone will have already built charts for the areas you are interested in and share them with you.

Navionics on an ipad might be acceptable, not 100% accurate, but good enough that if you sail in daylight you would be ok. And much easier to get charts for. They might be out a mile or 2, but if in daylight if you can see land you can work with that.
Old 11-11-2022, 17:45   #4

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by philiosophy View Post
I am currently sailing in Indonesia. The charts are at least as inaccurate as when I was in Fiji 5 years ago.
Hmm ... when cruising Indonesia pre-Covid, I found the paper nav charts I bought from Hidrografi dan Oseanografi Angkatan Laut Indonesia to be quite superb.

The problem, if any, was that Pushidrosal (as they call themselves these days) sell their electronic database only to Big Charta, not to the small players.

So C-MAP Professional or the Chart Depot at Pushidrosal (for paper or ENC) are the ways to go:

Depo Peta – Pushidrosal
Address : Jalan Enggano No. 18, Tanjung Priok, Jakarta Utara 14310
Telephone/Fax : +62 21 4305053
Email : enckoperasi.dishidros@gmail.com
koperasi@pushidrosal.id
Old 11-11-2022, 18:52   #5

Boat: Herreshoff 36

There is internet virtually everywhere in Indo. We just used Google satellite view in real time and compered it with the charts. It worked.

(Have to register IMEI number for your smartphone of course.)
Old 14-11-2022, 14:29   #6

Boat: Passport 41, Custom Perry in steel.

Terry Sergent of YachtValhalla based in Phillippines is important to your question he already got lots of Mediafiles on cruisers that have sent stuff to him (including the Hackings).
Can't find a link just now, but he sends me updates each month (Called Terry's Topics up to #130 now), but his email is available from me if you send me a personal message, he works closely with Paul Higgins site Sample he is the source of a version of SAS planet that works with his MBtiles creator tool.
Old 14-11-2022, 15:35   #7

Boat: 44ft mono hull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanride007 View Post
Terry Sergent of YachtValhalla based in Phillippines is important to your question he already got lots of Mediafiles on cruisers that have sent stuff to him (including the Hackings).
Can't find a link just now, but he sends me updates each month (Called Terry's Topics up to #130 now), but his email is available from me if you send me a personal message, he works closely with Paul Higgins site Sample he is the source of a version of SAS planet that works with his MBtiles creator tool.
Terry no longer maintains a website, but has passed the torch onto Soggy Paws, who update the Indo compendium and avaliable charts regularly. Just google soggy paws and go to the links/resources section and there is a whole world (literally!) at your finger tips.
Olly75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2022, 15:43   #8

Boat: Boatless but working on it

Maybe have a look at Zulu Offshore?

https://apps.apple.com/au/app/zulu-o...e/id1522412216

You purchase satellite map packages for a nominal fee and download them to use offline.
Alistair242 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
charts, Indonesia