Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2014, 10:19   #16

Boat: Freedom 32'
Re: Info Needed Transport Costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
It would be helpful if you stated size and beginning and ending points.
I too am looking to transport my 30' Bristol from Brewer,Ct to Cape Canaveral, Fl. When I went to the site posted in this thread, I need the weight and height of the boat, which I have no idea and after searching for an hour online I cannot find that information. It's not in the specs I have either. Any info would be welcome.
zengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 10:35   #17

Boat: Nordhavn 46, 46'

You want it bad, you get it bad. What I mean by that is if you can be flexible about the dates, you'll pay a lot less. Why? Well, if want it by a certain date and the truck dispatcher cannot find cargo going the opposite way, you'll pay for the truck both ways--and one way is empty. If the dispatcher can find cargo going the opposite way, you'll pay around 50% of the cost. Another customer pays going the opposite direction. Shippers are happy to try--just give them time.

You need to know as stated the width and height of the boat as they will determine if outsized permits are needed. That adds a lot. Figure out how to break the boast down to the lowest configuration. 12' was key when I moved my boat, and by taking off the navigation pod and binnacle-wheel guard, got it under 12'. Big price difference. And as someone noted, the more preparation work you can do, the more you save. Don't pay yard labor just to drop the canvas or to wrap your mast in shrink-pad wrap, for example.

I had a 38' boat, 12.5' wide, and <12' tall (that is on the truck) shipped from Holland, MI, to Deltaville, VA, for around $2200. That was in 2006, however. And shipping only. Cost to load and unload from the truck were separate, as the shipping company does not do that--the yard-marina does.

You have to talk a lot with your trucking company. Can save you a lot.
Moody46CC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 10:39   #18

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zengirl View Post
I too am looking to transport my 30' Bristol from Brewer,Ct to Cape Canaveral, Fl. When I went to the site posted in this thread, I need the weight and height of the boat, which I have no idea and after searching for an hour online I cannot find that information. It's not in the specs I have either. Any info would be welcome.
www.bristolowners.org/30/bristol30.html

Might help on weight. Height us a tape measure.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 10:49   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
www.bristolowners.org/30/bristol30.html

Might help on weight. Height us a tape measure.
I'm in Midland, Tx. Yes, I have gone to that site, it's useless. They just want you to list your boat. But thanks for replying.
Old 11-12-2014, 10:50   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moody46CC View Post
You want it bad, you get it bad. What I mean by that is if you can be flexible about the dates, you'll pay a lot less. Why? Well, if want it by a certain date and the truck dispatcher cannot find cargo going the opposite way, you'll pay for the truck both ways--and one way is empty. If the dispatcher can find cargo going the opposite way, you'll pay around 50% of the cost. Another customer pays going the opposite direction. Shippers are happy to try--just give them time.

You need to know as stated the width and height of the boat as they will determine if outsized permits are needed. That adds a lot. Figure out how to break the boast down to the lowest configuration. 12' was key when I moved my boat, and by taking off the navigation pod and binnacle-wheel guard, got it under 12'. Big price difference. And as someone noted, the more preparation work you can do, the more you save. Don't pay yard labor just to drop the canvas or to wrap your mast in shrink-pad wrap, for example.

I had a 38' boat, 12.5' wide, and <12' tall (that is on the truck) shipped from Holland, MI, to Deltaville, VA, for around $2200. That was in 2006, however. And shipping only. Cost to load and unload from the truck were separate, as the shipping company does not do that--the yard-marina does.

You have to talk a lot with your trucking company. Can save you a lot.
Not as bad as I figured, thanks so much for very interesting info.
Old 11-12-2014, 10:54   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailcay View Post
call 321-794-7030 Alberts Marina, Melbourne Fl. He hauled my 32' Carver from Wisconsin to Ft Pierce for $4800
Oh, that's great news! I'll be working the Wisc State Fair and I was wanting to take my boat there. Thanks!
Old 11-12-2014, 11:00   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankv1205 View Post
Just had my 37' Sailboat shipped from Portland Me. to Rockhall Md. $2500
That's wild. How and with who if you don't mind sharing.
Old 11-12-2014, 11:25   #23

Boat: Soverel 30

Great replys All. It could be possible by water just need to restep mast and install tranny. Outfit it for trip. Delivery skipper is option also That ive yet to inquire about. Stupid question but i have no idea. What about watertanks on board wouldnt they freeze in northern climates or do heaters run constantly on board? Sorry but im from miami. Not a clue.

Sent from my HUAWEI-M931 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
soverel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 11:35   #24

Boat: 42' Heritage East Nova Sundeck

Quote:
I'm in Midland, Tx. Yes, I have gone to that site, it's useless. They just want you to list your boat. But thanks for replying.
Would this site be helpful? It is not year specific.

BRISTOL 30 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
mcgann454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 11:37   #25

Gee Cadence,, Lets do his again. starting point---Detroit Mich launch point ---Anacortes Washington [state] an American tug is about 37 ft long has a 13 ft beam [ergo wide load permits/ chase car] boat displaces over 20,000 lb. try to keep your height under 15 ft hope this helps
capt steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 12:23   #26

Boat: 40 Morgan Classic Ketch

Try Winston Trucking out of Sealey, Texas. Booth Key to Vermont $5800. They were awesome. I still talk to the trucker Jonathan every month or so. They do nothing but boats.
Mikhael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 12:43   #27

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
I don't think you scrolled all the way down. It did give the displacement.
mcgann454's post might be better although stated displacement was only a few hundred lbs. difference.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 16:44   #28

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

If over 12ft beam and or above 13ft high inc trailer prices dramatically increase. Below that from about $3.5/mile depending on carrier and route. NE is more expensive as is any large urban area because of permit restrictions. Weight and length don't seam to make much difference as long as it is less than a normal truck trailer
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 20:01   #29

Boat: Irwin 30
Send a message via Skype™ to mrlee

Hi, I highly recomend the guy who moved my 30' Irwin from Kill Devil Hills, N.C to Kemah Texas for $4400....His name is Brad, wwbs2723@aol.com
and 1 706 593 8428. He was a total professional and kept me informed every step of the way...even sent me pix of loading etc...
mrlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 19:41   #30
Marine Service Provider

Yes, we delivered a 45' Gran Soleil from Grand Bahama to Galveston and decommissioned it, put it on a flat-bed and shipped it to San Diego. There are, of course, length, width and height limits. The height limit, which is around 13' and measured from the road surface. Width and length are standard trucker limits. The route (and their permit) is based over-pass heights along the way. These pros know exactly how to get it where you want it. In addition to the mast, boom and all the rigging, we needed to remove the life-lines (stations too high) and even the steering wheel. I've heard that certain drivers, for a little incentive, may fudge the height limit a few inches. Can't say for sure about that, I left town before the driver arrived. I'm guessing $12-15 grand but if you contact me I can get the exact price. The Med to Ft. Lauderdale on a ship was $25 grand for the same boat.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote