Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-02-2010, 02:31   #1

Boat: Nantucket 33
Info Wanted on Purpose-Made Lite Air Mainsail

I am looking to have a purpose made lite air / ghosting mainsail. Hopefully in Australia.
Does anyone know of a sailmaker in Australia or alternatively any sailmaker that is familure with these sails. I know they are rare and realatively unheard of so anyone that can help would be appreciated.

Any good reading or info on these sails also apreciated.

The yacht the sail is for is a compass 28

kind regards
mischief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2010, 15:29   #2

Boat: a sailing boat
Any good sailmaker will make one. Just explain what you want.

You can have a mylar/carbo sail made and this one (also mylar/spectra/kevlar) will work in both light winds and in normal conditions. A Cuben Fibre will do the job as well.

Alternatively, if you are looking for economy solutions, then you can have a sail made in Contender Stormlite (3.4 or 4.6oz).

In my experience, a normal weight main, if designed to be made full (cunningham, foot pocket, etc.) in connection with a Code 0 / MPR / Gennaker is a much cheaper and very efficient solution for light conditions.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2010, 21:11   #3

Boat: Nantucket 33
Thanks for the reply. I hear what you are saying. I'm not sure we are talking a out the same type of mainsail. These are made from spiniker cloth loose footed and are designed to use in very light airs. I thnk they are unsuitable for winds over about 8 knots. Or something. They are definately not popular and
I'm not having success with sailmakers knowing how to make them. The two I read of, I have lost the contact info one sail was made off the other though as the sailmaker had never seen or heard of one before. The owner did not care because he had used the one sail as a trial on his yacht and was convinced of it's worth carrying. There was an article about it I read, about a
month ago in a sailing mag in the bookshop. I should have bought the mag but I just copied the contact info and lost it when we moved.
mischief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2010, 06:23   #4

Boat: a sailing boat
If by spinnaker cloth you = nylon, then I would not go this way. It will not keep the shape when the puff is off. It will also stretch, which is not what you want in a main.

I would go for a light sail, but a stiff one. A well made laminate will be marginally heavier than a nylon, with much better performance.

If all you want is light wind downwind or reach then your best investemnt could be a light spinnaker or a light MPR.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mainsail