Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-07-2017, 14:22   #16

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Input? What is the best way to keep the ends of sheets, halyards and control lin

Cut w hot knife and whip (stitched thru). Nice clean look and very durable.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2017, 15:05   #17

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)
Re: Input? What is the best way to keep the ends of sheets, halyards and control lin

Early on I taped. That turned out to be fairly temporary. Later, as I learned, I just whipped, but in recent years I usually whip and dip, at least if the latter is not going to interfere with the use of the line. This is in part because my whipping is not what it once was as to both ease and result. For no particular reason,I have not tried just dipping even when I probably could. Likewise, I have not tried shrink tubing for lines, probably because I do use it for some wires and it reminds me of tape. Bottom line, if done properly, whipping is best, at least in my experience and opinion.
Old 20-07-2017, 18:06   #18
Marine Service Provider

Whipping for sure! I like the un-melted broom / puff ball effect. Though, I have also done the whipping or end splice with a zip tie stuck in to help pull the line through clutches. In some applications this works really well.
LTDsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2017, 12:59   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDsailing View Post
Whipping for sure! I like the un-melted broom / puff ball effect. Though, I have also done the whipping or end splice with a zip tie stuck in to help pull the line through clutches. In some applications this works really well.
Hang on...whats that? A zip tie?

Elaborate on that please.
Old 22-07-2017, 11:19   #20
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Hang on...whats that? A zip tie?

Elaborate on that please.
Basically just doing an end splice termination - on double braid line, trimming the core back and tuck the cover back inside. Tuck a zip tie down inside so that the thin tail sticks out through where you tucked the core back and finish with a whipping to hold the core, cover and zip tie in place.

This helps when trying to fish the line through a clutch. Looks nice and works well but sometimes more work than it's worth. I looked for a video on Youtube but didn't come up with one - sorry.

Beam winds,

Chris
LTDsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2017, 16:12   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDsailing View Post
Basically just doing an end splice termination - on double braid line, trimming the core back and tuck the cover back inside. Tuck a zip tie down inside so that the thin tail sticks out through where you tucked the core back and finish with a whipping to hold the core, cover and zip tie in place.

This helps when trying to fish the line through a clutch. Looks nice and works well but sometimes more work than it's worth. I looked for a video on Youtube but didn't come up with one - sorry.

Beam winds,

Chris
Interesting idea that Ive not heard of before...always more to learn.

When setting up barberhaulers and such I sometimes need to pull sheets out of the clutch...usually not a big deal to get back thru but can be a pain sometimes. Especially with frayed ends.
Old 22-07-2017, 17:47   #22

Boat: Southern Cross 35' Cutter - FrPol & H-boat 26' - Sweden
Send a message via Skype™ to svrodeorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panope View Post
I like to leave the whipped ends unmelted and let them fray.

The soft, broom-like end is a little nicer under (bare) foot or when a flogging line hits you in the face.

Steve
I do this too. And I would never consider polishing a bell. That piece of crap always snag a line or two in the cockpit
Old 22-07-2017, 21:04   #23

Boat: Islander 36

I usually melt small lines. To keep the melted end nice I wrap a rag or such around the rope near the end and after I get the end melted I squeeze the rag in my hand and pull the rope out through the rag. This tapers the burnt end nicely.
smith8273 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2017, 12:17   #24

Boat: Currently searching for next vessel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobiehobie View Post
Whipping. I go aboard other boats and check out the consistency and color coordination of whipping. If it is not perfectly done in a ship-shape manner I think horrible thoughts about the owner and just imagine that if his or her whipping is poor then he or she probably never changes the oil either (or polishes the bell).

I love this. I have appropriately whipped all lines with matching twine to prevent future judgement.

Thanks everyone!
bomberhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2017, 13:19   #25

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Whipping also helps keep the hired crew in line.... By giving them something to do.
Old 23-07-2017, 13:28   #26

I just whip it simple, melt the end. I would often do this while sailing along in settled weather and tired of my book. Waxed twine only

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2017, 06:23   #27

Shrink sleeve is quick and easy, and can be combined with hot cutting and whipping if you want belt and braces.
Also it can be colour coded.
Bluebeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2017, 06:56   #28

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

ALL halyards & reefing lines get reeving eye splices in their tail ends. So that it's easy to pull lines out for inspection, changing, & reinstalling. Once you see how well they work, you'll never go back. As with them, it literally takes 3min. to change out a halyard.

Which if the boat will be sitting for a couple of weeks or more, pull out all of your halyards, & put purpose made leaders made of 3-5mm cordage in their place. The stuff is like $0.10/ft or less. And doing this adds years to your halyards, due to protecting them from UV & chafe. It's the norm on a lot of high end racing boats, for just this reason.

Here's one instructional on said splice https://www.jamestowndistributors.co...ing+Eye+Splice
It takes all of 5min. to do one.

As to the ends of sheets, & other cordage. It's either lime green heat shrink tubing, with the line's end melted. Or, whatever fingernail polish I'm wearing that day Gotta keep the boat pretty.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
halyard, sheets