Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-11-2016, 10:07   #1

Boat: 1979 San Juan 7.7M
Inside Companionway Lock (s)

Greetings to all! I have a question for all San Juan 7.7 owners past and present, or anyone with a viable solution to my question.... I have a 1979 and she is as fit and as "fly" as ever. My question is this, does anyone have any experience with a lock or lock to secure the companion way from the inside? I have a plexiglass (for lack of a better word) sliding overhead hatch cover and 2 fitted boards that make up the companionway closure. The boards go into slides on both sides of the companionway and the hatch slides over the top of the boards to close and secure. I live aboard and would like to have a means of securing the hatch from the inside. I know that Beneteau has a system for their boats that have a similar hatch system. I contacted them and they will not sell to non-Beneteau owners. So! if anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them. Thanks! I look forward to hearing from as many of you as is convenient for you....
Rico
Old 17-11-2016, 11:10   #2

Boat: Valiant 40
Re: Inside Companionway Lock (s)

Some boats of that configuration simply have a SS barrel bolt on the underside of the sliding hatch, on one side or the other, since when it is closed the washboards can't be removed. If you can fit it, it might be the simplest solution.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2016, 10:02   #3

Boat: 1979 San Juan 7.7M
Re: Inside Companionway Lock (s)

Thanks so much Suijin, I looked them up and noticed there are several configurations. It looks like there might be something practical that will work for me, I will be going to the home improvement/hardware store to look them over. My application is a horizontal sliding hatch over vertically stacked wash boards. Does anyone else have any suggestions, especially any that don't require a padlock?

Tags
companionway