Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-07-2022, 07:08   #16

Boat: J/88
Re: Insight on Code Zero vs Asymmetrical Spin

The bowsprit extends the tack attachment out ahead of the boat and is very useful, especially for sport boats or boats with plumb bows, but it comes with a steep handicap penalty. Under most rating rules it is assumed that the spinnaker girth is increased the same amount as the length of the sprit, so a boat with a spirt is rated as if it is carrying an oversized spinnaker when it is actually probably not

I had no idea this was the case with respect to handicap. Thanks
Old 13-07-2022, 07:12   #17

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

I found the original owners optionlist. In sails there are 3 packages but no code zero. The boat had everything for a code zero so I hoped I’d find one. Nope some storm sails that’s it. We bought a code zero end of last season. Huge sail but weighs little. I wish I had a sail locker now cause it’s a pain to haul back to the cockpit. Next boat I made a note.
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2022, 19:16   #18
jsk

Boat: S2 8.0b
Insight on Code Zero vs Asymmetrical Spin

Again guys - thank you all so very much for this insight. When it really comes down to it – I need to figure out what kind of sailor I want to be on this boat - racer or cruiser or somewhere in between. I was pretty sold on a bowsprit, asymmetric and furler … used to have an S2 8.0b and that Asymmetric was fun to fly!

But you’ve given me lots of food for thought. Thanks. I think I’m best served staying in the JAM division for a while, getting a whisker pole, figuring out how to sail my boat well and then perhaps getting an asymmetric.

That will probably be just about the same time that I get the electric winch that the admiral wants :-)
jsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2022, 22:59   #19

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Good on ya. You have realized that your boat was designed for maximum interior volume, not maximum boat speed.

The last couple of weeks I have switched rides in the Tuesday night JAM fleet from a Catalina 320 to a Santa Cruz 27. While they don't rate all that far apart, in light air I feel guilty for taking a gun to a knife fight. But I don't overnight on the 27.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2022, 01:50   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
Your best choice, in my opinion, is an asymmetrical spinnaker. Get a large one, all purpose shape, your sailmaker can help you decide, and learn to hoist and dowse it.

A code zero, in my view, is not beneficial for your boat. It is a reaching sail and you already have a big reaching sail (your 150% genoa) and the code zero is not as good on a downwind leg, so it buys you very little. The assym, on the other hand will be excellent on a downwind leg.

Be cautious about using the spirit. Most racing rules will heavily penalize that spirit and the shape of your hull (the bow overhang) means you don't need to extend the tack of the spinnaker so far out ahead of the forestay.

Learn to hoist, jibe, and dowse the assym without out a sock or snuffer. It is not hard and these are skills you need for racing.

We added an A2 assy racing spinnaker when we started racing this boat, and I was surprised at how easy it is to use, despite the huge size of it. Advice from WingSail back then was a significant factor in the decision to go this way, and it was excellent advice.

We use the A2 with a pole (a pole too long for many racing rules but has been ok for the races we have run), which is a big advantage, and obviates the need for a sprit. Only downside of this is that the pole guy needs a jockey pole if set far forward (we have one).

We've used it with and without a snuffer. Snuffer is what you want short handed; not short handed it's not needed and actually easier and faster just to pull the kite down through a hatch.

We used a similar sail crossing the Atlantic on my friend's Discovery 67, and it was great. We used it for days on end.

It's a great sail which fills a really big hole in the sail plan. You'll use it cruising, too. Can't even imagine racing without it.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
asymmetric, cal, code zero