Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-05-2023, 16:01   #1

Boat: Hanse 348
Instructions on roller furling main

New boat has in mast roller furling main. I have had 2 boats before with roller furling mains about 15 years ago, but they were a different system.

My new system has a 'winch' at the gooseneck with a continuous line for the in haul going to 2 spinlocks. (Previous system only had single line inhaul).

Figuring to unfurl main, open both spinlocks on continuous inhaul line and pull on the outhaul.

However when furling, which of the 2 inhaul lines to use? Assuming it winds either clockwise or CCW depending upon which one is pulled. Does it make a difference which way sail is wound?

Finally, there is a latch/detent on the 'winch' for ratchet or not. Which way should that be left. And when should one or the other position be used. Thanks.
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2023, 17:20   #2

Boat: 05 Hunter 44ds
Re: Instructions on roller furling main

There should be an in and out switch above winch on mast which will allow it only furl in. When I furl mine , I keep a little tension on outhaul to keep it tight.
Grandwagoneer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2023, 17:24   #3

Boat: 05 Hunter 44ds

Switch on winch will allow it to turn both ways in the out position and only one way in the in position. This is designed so that you can let just some sail out “reef” and put the switch on the in position so that if the continuous furler line failed the main wouldn’t come all the way out on you. Hope this helps
Grandwagoneer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2023, 16:23   #4

Boat: Jeanneau 44DS

My guess is that you have a Selden mast. The sail needs to furl in from the right side of the extrusion when facing the bow. The Selden manual specifies that the reefing winch needs to move clockwise to make this happen. I had a boat with this system in the past and I labeled the correct stopper with a sticker for easy identification.

https://support.seldenmast.com/files.../595-063-E.pdf
Garrettw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2023, 17:27   #5

Boat: Hanse 348

Appreciate it. I was out today to try this out. Unfortunately winds were 20-25. Got the sail out no problem. had the setting on the winch to the right for free.

Then tried to furl it with winch in free position. Had both stoppers open, and pulled on one side of the line. it seemed to only slip on winch, didn't furl the sail in the free position.

Went up to gooseneck, turned it to ratchet on left side, was able to furl sail. But according to manual, this isn't the correct way to do this. I should not have to leave the cockpit, and it says to reef, need to leave it free. What am I doing wrong?

Sounds like when leaving boat, turn switch to left side, when getting to the boat, turn to right side to use the sail.
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2023, 18:53   #6

Boat: Jeanneau 44DS

Perhaps you have a different mast model or make than I posted. But one of the settings on the selector should allow the winch to operate bidirectionally which is needed for the cockpit furling line setup to work. With both stoppers open, you might need to apply some pressure to both ends of the continuous furling line to get it to sit tight in the winch drum at the mast. When furling I would sometimes have to hold the loose ends of the furling line and the outhaul in the same hand while winching the other end of the furling line with the other.
Garrettw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furling, roller furling