Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2023, 06:55   #61

Boat: Lagoon 40
Re: Insurance needed for transient (temporary) dockage?

I have stayed at Marinas from France to Cape Verde and just about every individual marina in europe asked for proof of insurance and boat ownership (and took copies). In the US (east coast, Florida etc.) , I have been asked the question at many and a few have asked for actual proof (Declarations Page). I think Pandor is right that Marathon at least asks the question and I think the first time you stay they ask for proof.
Ndavies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 07:29   #62

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quite the range of experiences. That's what makes this question interesting (to me, anyway).
Old 03-02-2023, 07:32   #63

Boat: Hans Christian 33

The Vallejo Marina (San Francisco Bay area) required proof of liability insurance for a one night stay. They required us to email a copy of the declarations page as well as a copy of our CG documentation before arrival.

I recall inquiring about transient moorage at Marina Bay in Richmond (also SF Bay area) and they had the same policy, but we didn't end up stopping there.

These are the only examples I can think of but our travels have been limited to WA, OR, and CA.
Casita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 07:35   #64

Boat: Pearson 424 Ketch

I’ve been asked at EVERY marina from Ventura to La Paz (Long Beach, Oceanside, Dana point, San Diego, Ensenada, Cabo, la Paz and beyond. It is a clear requirement in many places.
pma_foyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 07:36   #65

Boat: Oyster 435

The marinas that I’ve been in the the Pacific Northwest don’t ask for proof of insurance on the guest or short term dock. Many are self serve kiosk with no one checking. If I’m going to be on a guest dock for and extended stay (say a week) I’ll bring documentation to the office in case they ask.
Tsuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 07:44   #66

Boat: Catalina 22 Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
NY Times.
"The United States is already the most litigious society in the world. We spend about 2.2 percent of gross domestic product, roughly $310 billion a year, or about $1,000 for each person in the country on tort litigation, much higher than any other country."
Appreciate the quote, but it might be an example of a statistic that might not be telling us what we need to know. The US has a gigantic economy and if there are even a modest number of huge antitrust, class action, and product liability lawsuits, that small number of huge awards and settlements can massively ratchet up the average cost of liability. I totally agree with you that this is a major problem and it is a hidden tax on our economy and each of us. But that may not have that much to do with how likely one is to get sued for bumping into someone else's boat.
I am not convinced that rampant lawsuits from minor boat accidents is driving this issue.
lestersails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 08:33   #67

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

From my experience it seems more and more common in Canada. And the requirements are a little ridiculous:

"2 million Protection and Indemnity insurance, which must also cover wreck removal and sudden and accidental pollution coverage."

That is for guest moorage at a marina in Ganges on Saltspring Island. I had to sign my name in blood that I had this insurance before I could reserve a slip.

When I tried to actually purchase this level of insurance, just for the couple of weeks we would spend in the Gulf Islands, my insurance company tried to figure out if they could offer this level of coverage to me and flat out said they could not. And they also offered their opinion that the requirement is ridiculous, stating that in their experience it is nigh impossible for my 35' sailboat to cause an incident requiring this level of claims.

I ended up canceling that reservation and staying at Ladysmith instead (delightful!), so I don't know if they were going to ask for documentation or proof. They sounded pretty serious.
patja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 08:46   #68

Boat: Pearson 386

I haven't been asked to show insurance yet as a transient, but I also have little doubt I have signed paperwork as a guest without reading the fine print declaring that I would be held accountable for any damages caused during my stay. I've have seen it stated in marina policy in the Annapolis area but it wasn't uniformly applied to transients. Marinas will always avoid involving themselves in boat to boat incidents unless of course their property is damaged. I'm sure asking transients to provide proof of liability coverage will become more prevalent with time.
OneBoatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 09:04   #69

Boat: 1984 Rhodes 22

In several places in the northern Chesapeake Bay, I have to supply the insurance policy company and number when registering to overnight at a marina or yacht club, but haven't had to actually produce a copy of the policy.
edexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 09:19   #70

patja said: ""2 million Protection and Indemnity insurance, which must also cover wreck removal and sudden and accidental pollution coverage....That is for guest moorage at a marina in Ganges on Saltspring Island."

As you say, Ladysmith is delightful :-)

And I say: Ganges is NOT representative. Ganges is a rather special situation because for many years unscrupulous owners of derelict vessels had been in the habit of dropping a hook in Ganges and simply walking away from the derelict. The cost to the Village of Ganges for cleaning up after such individuals, not least the cost of dealing with leaking fuel from sunken derelicts, was enormous, and the apparently harsh requirements for Proof of Insurance obtaining at Ganges are, IMO, a sensible CYA measure.

Some of these trials, not yet forgotten locally, stem from the fact that Ganges was very much a gathering place for "hippies" of every conceivable stripe half a century ago. Many of these "free spirits" were impecunious, as free spirits tend to be, and given the events of the time, many were American political refugees and conducted themselves as refugees often do.

Let us not forget that Ganges, as a village, is responsible to the Canadian federal authorities for the clean-ups. If Ganges does not perform in that department, "the feds" will come in and do it for them and "back charge" the village.

Ganges, both the local authorities and the merchants in the village, is very much aware that some yotties will go elsewhere because of the forcefully expressed requirements for insurance, and my reading (from far-away Ladysmith) of the attitude of the local harbour authorities at Ganges is that if you balk at furnishing a Certificate of Insurance proving adequate coverage, they are glad to see the back of you.

2 Million Liability coverage is a bare minimum these days. Canadians have no difficulty obtaining 5 Million from Canadian underwriters. What American underwriters think is "ridiculous" is really not relevant to the case at all.

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 09:29   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunkonwatch View Post
Transient only in 1% places we couldn’t afford it anyways, most places no at transient partying and live music we were asked, anytime I signed and got a week or month break about half did want to scan it it other half it’s in the contract you do have it so….NO!
I'm usually pretty good at interpreting garbled forum-speak, but I think you're truly living up to your nickname (drunkonwatch) here!
Egbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 09:51   #72

Boat: 1987 Southerly 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I want to know if YOU have had to present proof of insurance just to tie up to a dock for a night or two.
August 2022 at Nanaimo Yacht Club. Front page of their site lists the requirement for transient boats to have "$2 million liability", and we were asked for it upon check in - otherwise, no stay allowed.

Same at Point Roberts, WA.
Slovak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 10:12   #73

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft

We were required to provide a copy of our insurance in the Titusville Florida Municipal Marina and Marathon Florida Marina and Mooring field.
Old 03-02-2023, 10:43   #74
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Roberts V495

Transient moorage only, requiring liability insurance
- LPaz Mexico
- Papeete Tahiti
- everywhere in New Zealand
- Port Denarau & Vuda Pt in FIji
- Neumea in New Caledonia
- everywhere in Oz (and some at stupid high levels to boot)
- Hout Bay in South Africa
- Radio Bay Hilo, Honolulu Oahu
Very common here on PNW in larger marinas.

Know I’ve missed some. Requested more often than not in major marinas.
nofacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 11:20   #75

California places to add to your list:

Catalina Island mooring balls,
Marina del Rey,
Pine Avenue Pier Long Beach
King Harbor mooring balls,
King Harbor Yacht Club
Cabrillo Way Marina
Holiday Harbor Marina
Setbud is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dock, insurance