Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2023, 11:55   #76

Boat: Bavaria Vision 42
Re: Insurance needed for transient (temporary) dockage?

My home marina, Discovery Harbour in Campbell River, only started requiring proof of insurance for FT moorage about 3 or 4 years ago. As others have said, I've never been asked for proof for a transient slip. Pender Harbour resort is the only place I've been asked to confirm explicitly that I do have it (computer booking)... but no proof requested on tying up.
desodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 12:00   #77

Hmm sounds like there may be an interesting business opportunity here. When you rent a car, you have the ability to purchase "optional" insurance. Maybe Marinas should offer something similar?
brucebacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 12:53   #78

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post
patja said: ""2 million Protection and Indemnity insurance, which must also cover wreck removal and sudden and accidental pollution coverage....That is for guest moorage at a marina in Ganges on Saltspring Island."

As you say, Ladysmith is delightful :-)

And I say: Ganges is NOT representative. Ganges is a rather special situation because for many years unscrupulous owners of derelict vessels had been in the habit of dropping a hook in Ganges and simply walking away from the derelict. The cost to the Village of Ganges for cleaning up after such individuals, not least the cost of dealing with leaking fuel from sunken derelicts, was enormous, and the apparently harsh requirements for Proof of Insurance obtaining at Ganges are, IMO, a sensible CYA measure.

2 Million Liability coverage is a bare minimum these days. Canadians have no difficulty obtaining 5 Million from Canadian underwriters. What American underwriters think is "ridiculous" is really not relevant to the case at all.

TrentePieds

I would have purchased the $2m insurance if I could have. I did bump my coverage from $500k to $1m which was the max available to me. Next time they hit me up for an insurance survey I will shop around to see if I can get $2m anywhere.
patja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 13:09   #79

Boat: Swarbrick S-80

I’m re-insuring my boat today.

Here is the standard liability clause (in Aus):

Liability cover: Up to $10 million for claims made against you plus the legal costs for our lawyers to represent you
ChrisJHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 13:10   #80

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

It has become standard throughout Australia. We usually take a copy of the letter from our insurance co. into the marina office, or the boatyard office when we approach them relative to a haulout. So far as I know, this is the wave of the future.

When we went into the Marina Sud in Noumea, New Caledonia with an out of season cyclone forecast, they required we buy term insurance to protect them against any damage our boat might do to their marina. NC is a French overseas territory, and we were able to buy insurance for only two weeks. In addition, the marina required we have 16mm diameter docklines, so we had to buy new docklines as well, to be allowed to tie up there.

Ann
Old 03-02-2023, 19:41   #81

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by patja View Post
I would have purchased the $2m insurance if I could have. I did bump my coverage from $500k to $1m which was the max available to me. Next time they hit me up for an insurance survey I will shop around to see if I can get $2m anywhere.
What I find interesting is that standard liability coverage in the USA seems to be $3 to $500k, whereas in most other places it is $2 to $10M. The US is one of the most litigious countries, yet standard liability coverage seems quite low when compared to just about everywhere else.
Old 03-02-2023, 21:08   #82

Every marina I have been in in Oz have required me to produce evidence of insurance. Even for just 1 night.
lee5655 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 07:18   #83

Boat: J42

Hi Mike

In 2022 we were required to show our insurance at Armdale YC in Halifax and at RNYC in Conception Bay South. Lewisporte Marina when we saw you was not interested as you know.

Cheers

Boston Blackie
SV ConverJence
Boston Blackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 08:23   #84

Boat: Jeanneau SO 34.2 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I'm beginning to think Canada is the last land of the (insurance) free.
I was asked to provide insurance info as a transient at the Thunder Bay municipal marina last year. They were pretty laid back about it, just told me to email proof to a random address. No reply or other follow-up. Didn't have to be done before we got into our slip or anything. We had just entered from the US but they described it as a marina requirement rather than an immigration one.
steffan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 08:54   #85

Boat: 43' Albin Sundeck

Best as we can remember, in our current 7yr Great Loop, we have never been asked for insurance info while staying in a marina as a transient.
Nepidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 09:08   #86

Truly fascinating to hear about the range of experiences. It sounds like encounters at international borders, where the experience can vary widely depending which officer you get, and whether they’ve had their morning coffee.
Old 04-02-2023, 12:26   #87

Boat: Naval Yachts XPM-78
Send a message via Skype™ to christinekling

In the last 4 months we have stayed as transients in marinas in Turkey, Sicily, Tunisia, Spain, Gibraltar, Morocco, and the Canary Islands. All asked us to email copies of our insurance in advance when making the reservation. This wasn't for clearing in to the countries - it was the marinas.
christinekling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 15:31   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by steffan View Post
I was asked to provide insurance info as a transient at the Thunder Bay municipal marina last year. They were pretty laid back about it, just told me to email proof to a random address. No reply or other follow-up. Didn't have to be done before we got into our slip or anything. We had just entered from the US but they described it as a marina requirement rather than an immigration one.
This is very interesting, and suggests things are really changing. I've been to the Port Arthur's Landing (Thunder Bay city marina) a number of times. I don't recall any formalities at all, other than payment. But the last time I was there was probably 15 years ago.

If they're doing it in Thunder Bay, then the world really has gone to the dark side. Soon it'll be happening in Newfoundland , and then where will I run .
Old 04-02-2023, 16:04   #89

Boat: Seeking motor sailer this fall west coast N America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egbert View Post
I'm usually pretty good at interpreting garbled forum-speak, but I think you're truly living up to your nickname (drunkonwatch) here!
I’ll clarify 1% kinda places (rich enough patrons we didn’t belong) been asked for proof at transient. Been asked when the party was live at transient but understandable. Every place I ever signed a short or long term agreement half wanted proof the other half just wanted the contract signed it was implied in the contract. So most of my limited travels from Dutch Harbor to Cabo no one ever asked at transient. I’m usually ran out of town by then anyways. Lol
Old 05-02-2023, 09:55   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I assume this is to enter the country. That's the state's requirement. I'm asking about insurance to enter a marina; specifically to seek temporary (transient) dockage.
Sailed around Europe (Croatia to Baltic Sea) last year. Marina Bay Gibraltar and Portimao Marine - both wanted to have a liability insurance (no insurance no stay - quite simple). But nobody else wanted to.

Cheers
Dirk
Dirk01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dock, insurance