Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-01-2023, 17:41   #1

Boat: Rafiki 37
Insurance needed for transient (temporary) dockage?

Many people on CF report that liability insurance (at a minimum) is needed to enter a marina, or temporarily rent a dock; in other words, transient dockage.

I have never experienced this demand, so I'm curious who here has had to show proof of insurance when seeking a short-term (transient) dock. I don't want to hear about what you heard. I want to know if YOU have had to present proof of insurance just to tie up to a dock for a night or two.

Please tell us the location, and when this happened.
Old 27-01-2023, 17:54   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Insurance needed for transient (temporary) dockage?

UK, France, Portugal, Spain, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Tunisia, Canaries, Caribe, Panama, American Samoa, Vanuatu, Australia..
Never sailed into the US so unsure as boats I collected were insured.. I present all paperwork on arrival anyway so never been asked as such.

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2023, 18:00   #3

Re: Insurance needed for transient (temporary) dockage?

Stayed in marinas in Oz for one week in Brisbane, and one night each at three other places. The one-week stay just wanted our money. The other three all wanted our liability insurance certificate, with AUS$10 million cover, e-mailed to them before arrival.
HeywoodJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2023, 18:00   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
UK, France, Portugal, Spain, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Tunisia, Canaries, Caribe, Panama, American Samoa, Vanuatu, Australia..
Never sailed into the US so unsure as boats I collected were insured.. I present all paperwork on arrival anyway so never been asked as such.

I assume this is to enter the country. That's the state's requirement. I'm asking about insurance to enter a marina; specifically to seek temporary (transient) dockage.
Old 27-01-2023, 18:04   #5

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Most places I've stayed as a transient don't care. I do remember at least one place mentioning insurance on the paperwork, but they never asked about it. I've only seen it enforced for seasonal dockage or other longer term stays.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2023, 18:09   #6

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

Any place we have hauled out has asked for a copy of insurance. As well as any marina we stay a month in, and anyplace we have left the boat and flown home from. Specifically Vero Beach, Reynolds in green Cove Florida, Brunswick landing, and Zimmerman's in Mathews Virginia.
As to your specific question, nowhere has asked us for insurance for transient stays of a day or two.
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2023, 18:12   #7

Boat: Seeking motor sailer this fall west coast N America

Transient only in 1% places we couldn’t afford it anyways, most places no at transient partying and live music we were asked, anytime I signed and got a week or month break about half did want to scan it it other half it’s in the contract you do have it so….NO!
Old 27-01-2023, 18:21   #8

Boat: Lagoon 380

I have never been asked for a transit slip, but I have for my annual rental.

Cheyne
Cheyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2023, 18:27   #9

Boat: Island Packet 40

2022, during a 600 mile cruise along the east coast of Florida and Florida Keys. Every marina I stayed at asked me to fill out a form which included a question about insurance. One marina asked me to show actual proof of coverage. These were all transient stays from 1 to 3 days. 3 were Safe Harbor Marinas. 2 were Hotel marinas. 1 was a municipal marina.

Dockwa, the popular slip reservation service, has an insurance section in their account-creation process. Some of their host marinas (like Safe Harbor, perhaps others, I'm not sure who else) require them to provide that information to them when making reservations.

Lastly, I know the OP's survey is limited to transient rentals only, but every boatyard I've ever dealt with in my home state of Florida has required proof of insurance. Even if a boat owner lives on the hook 99% of the time and never enters a marina as a transient, he/she will still likely need to have a haul-out at some point or another -- and thus will need to have insurance.

If you think about it, it's safe to assume that pretty much ALL marinas and boatyards have insurance. And it's safe to assume that THEIR insurers would REQUIRE them to REQUIRE that their customers have insurance. Some of them may be lax or inconsistent at enforcing that requirement. But I cannot imagine a marina's insurer not requiring them to do so. With fuel docks and electricity and millions of dollars in boats and infrastructure at risk it would be insane not to require it.

Bob
Bobby Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2023, 18:37   #10

Boat: Morgan 382

In San Diego, April of last year. I had to stay in the Anchorage for a couple days until insurance was arranged and the cover sent to the marina, showing them as an additional party insured. This was for a 3 day stay at the Marina.

Edit:
Also, in New Zealand in 2018. Conveniently, there is a broker at the Marina to sell you insurance.
And in Mexico, it's required to enter the country, and it must be from a Mexican company. Again, they are happy to sell you some.
Old 27-01-2023, 18:39   #11

Boat: Morgan 382

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I have stayed at Marinas in Panama, American Samoa, and Vanuatu without being asked.
Old 27-01-2023, 18:39   #12

Boat: Seeking motor sailer this fall west coast N America

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post
In San Diego, April of last year. I had to stay in the Anchorage for a couple days until insurance was arranged and the cover sent to the marina, showing them as an additional party insured. This was for a 3 day stay at the Marina.
Was it Chula Vista they were like that.
Old 27-01-2023, 18:42   #13

We don't stay at marinas often, but ALMOST every one we have used wanted evidence of insurance before you tie up. Some want liability and hull insurance too. A few even wanted evidence of being named a loss payee. Now, there is a small caveat here. We almost never do an overnight stop at a marina. If we are going to tie up it is going to usually be for a week, or more. So that MIGHT affect the answer.

Over the past six years this is for marinas in Hawaii, California, Florida, Grenada, Puerto Rico, Georgia, Nova Scotia, Maryland, Massachusetts, Virginia, the Bahamas, etc, etc...

They only exception we can think of was Port de Plaisance du Marin in Martinique, they didn't ask.

In addition, EVERY repair yard we have ever used has also asked for insurance. That would be in California, Maryland, Massachusetts, two yards in Florida, and one in Grenada.

Now, we carry hull and liability insurance, so it has never been an issue, it is just another piece of paper we show the staff when we arrive (or email ahead of time if asked). What would happen if you showed up without evidende of coverage, we have no idea. If you are thinking of traveling the world without insurance, you are going to have a hard time of it--if our experience is any guide.

Honestly, I'd have serious reservations staying at a marina if I suspected I was surrounded by uninsured boats.
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2023, 18:42   #14

Thanks folks. Great responses so far.

I am specifically interested in transient marina usage, so short-term. Long-term dockage or haul outs usually do require proof of insurance -- even in my experience. But I'm specifically asking about transient marina usage.

I'll try and compile or summarize the results after the thread has run its course.
Old 27-01-2023, 18:50   #15

It seems to me that the city marinas in Key West as well as the mooring field in Marathon wanted to see insurance information for transient short-term stays. I can’t recall if they demanded proof or just asked for the information.
Pandor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dock, insurance