Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2019, 21:36   #61

Re: Insuring Aus registered boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinto View Post
Oh btw

It is Australian law that an Australian resident if owing a boat in a foreign county (for entering foreign ports) - the boat MUST be Australian registered

Anyone can ref. the law by going to the AMSA site.

“ . It is an offence for an Australian-owned vessel to sail to a foreign port unless it is registered on the Australian general shipping register.”

https://www.amsa.gov.au/vessels-oper...-fishing-boats
Thanks!
So.. looking at that, as a dual citizen it should, in theory, be no problem for me to register the boat elsewhere as a UK citizen. Can anyone point me at where I should be looking to find the relevant laws concerning yacht registration for a UK citizen?

Specifically, as a non-resident UK citizen, am I allowed to register the boat in the country of my choice, wherever that may be (for instance, Holland or the Cayman Islands)?
JAFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 04:28   #62

Boat: Adams 13, 13.5m

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabbyCat View Post
The website for the Australian legislation regarding Marine Insurance is https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/C2008C00419 ........, but the policy wording would have to comply with all the provisions in the act, meaning that the Austrlian government would dictate the wording of the policy language rather than the insurance company writing the policy language. So probably not something most foreign insurer's are willing to do.
TabbyCat, could you point to where the act says this?
Thanks
barryglewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 04:56   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryglewis View Post
TabbyCat, could you point to where the act says this?
Thanks
The only thing I can see in it that even comes close to that is towards the end, in the Second Schedule, the part titled "RULES FOR CONSTRUCTION OF POLICY". But that was last amended in 1966, so I can't see how it could be the reason for international insurers to suddenly no longer want to touch Australian boats.
JAFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2019, 19:48   #64

I bought a boat in the U.S. and registered it on the Australian Shipping Register - all done by email to Canberra whilst boat in USA.
Originally insured in the U.S. but later changed insurance to a very good Australian Company/Broker who use Topsail & underwritten by Lloyds.
They are- Oceanic Marine Risks and their contact info:
http://www.oceanicmarinerisks.com
I went thru Lizzie Wickham in Brisbane, altho I believe someone else is handling marine policies out of Airlie Beach now. But contact them and they will put you on to the right person. Very helpful.
They are much more user friendly than Pantaneus and much cheaper and give better and wider coverage including tropical areas. Been around for decades and highly respected. They covered me all the way from the Far West Indies to Australia and now for just Australian coastal etc. They do commercial boats as well as personal. And I do not have any affiliations/interests in the company.
nautilee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat