Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2015, 11:28   #1

Boat: Manta 40 catamaran
Interested in making dinghy chaps?

I wanted chaps to protect my dinghy....so I asked the local sailmaker what they would charge. They laughed. Literally laughed and said I'd be better off sailing to South America where I could get them made for under $1000.

So, I successfully made my own using Sunbrella material and a Singer 4423 Heavy Duty Sewing Machine.

It was tiring but I'm pretty pleased with the results. Materials about $200 and $155 for the sewing machine from Amazon which I'll use often in the future.

Here's my how-to if you're interested.
Old 04-07-2015, 12:13   #2
cruiser

Re: Interested in making dinghy chaps?

I've found it to easier just to paint the dinghy every year or two with a coat of the special, rubberized dinghy paint that costs $50.
I priced chaps in Mallorca last season, I think the bid came in at 650 euros, so I said no to it.

I bet sewing the chaps was a good lesson in how to make canvas stuff. I wouldn't mind learning to do it.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 14:39   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Jim & I made chaps for our dinghy this year. Humble suggestion is to read the sail-rite discussion of how to do it (we used the wrong stuff for the patterns) BEFORE you get stuck into the project. The other day, I started a thread about our new addition to the chaps, reflective piping around the outside edge of the cover. The thread is posted under the Dinghy forum.

Ann
Old 04-07-2015, 14:51   #4
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Thanks Karen. I've bookmarked that. It might be a good job for summer. I'd like to make a similar one but would love to design it so the inside flaps can be pulled together and zipped up to keep the dinghy dry and secure on passages and allow for a good place to throw the rubbish bags.
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 15:29   #5

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
Thanks Karen. I've bookmarked that. It might be a good job for summer. I'd like to make a similar one but would love to design it so the inside flaps can be pulled together and zipped up to keep the dinghy dry and secure on passages and allow for a good place to throw the rubbish bags.
Monte, unless you have really big diameter tubes and a small beam, i don't think the numbers work out well for that. But, one could easily sew a half zipper into the top of each side and zip a separate cover piece in when needed. Haven't seen it done, but not a bad idea!

Jim
Old 04-07-2015, 16:07   #6

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Nice Karen. I have one suggestion before you put the sewing machine away - consider adding extra fabric chafe patches where people usually sit. One back by the motor definitely, and the other in an appropriate place unless the second person always sits on the seat. If you can make them out of old sail material or something similarly chafe-resistant - even better.

We found with our chaps that these two places wore out well before any other part of the chaps. Amazing how much of creatures of habit we are - the wear spots almost perfectly matched our butts!

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 07:45   #7

Boat: Lagoon 40

Looks great! thanks for posting the "How To" I am going to show my wife and see if I can get her motivated.
Ndavies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 08:25   #8
Eternal Member

One suggestion I have for anyone making a set of chaps, would be to consider using Stamoid as your material, instead of Sunbrella...

Since Stamoid doesn't require to be hemmed, fashioning the numerous cutouts for things like oarlocks, etc., will save you a LOT of work in the end...

Stamoid, when folded or rolled up for storage when not in use, will lay much flatter and stow more compactly than Sunbrella...

One of Sunbrella's biggest weaknesses is its minimal resistance to abrasion. I think the double-sided Stamoid is far more durable in this regard...

Stamoid would seem to be less likely to 'capture' and hold dried salt crystals than the more open weave of Sunbrella. I've heard it said that chaps made of Sunbrella can actually contribute to the abrasion of Hypalon or similar inflatable fabrics, but I have no experience to assess the likelihood of that...

Needless to say, I've become a big fan of Stamoid over the years, with the exception of my mainsail cover, all of the canvaswork on my boat is from Stamoid... anyone not familiar with the material should handle a sample of it before making a decision, however, as the look and 'feel' of it differs considerably from Sunbrella...
Jon Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 08:49   #9

Boat: Passport 40- Wind Thief
Send a message via Skype™ to winethief

I am interested in your chaps plan.

George Louis
S/v wind thief

Glouisiv@gmail.com
winethief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 09:03   #10

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Eisberg View Post
One suggestion I have for anyone making a set of chaps, would be to consider using Stamoid as your material, instead of Sunbrella...

Since Stamoid doesn't require to be hemmed, fashioning the numerous cutouts for things like oarlocks, etc., will save you a LOT of work in the end...

Stamoid, when folded or rolled up for storage when not in use, will lay much flatter and stow more compactly than Sunbrella...

One of Sunbrella's biggest weaknesses is its minimal resistance to abrasion. I think the double-sided Stamoid is far more durable in this regard...

Stamoid would seem to be less likely to 'capture' and hold dried salt crystals than the more open weave of Sunbrella. I've heard it said that chaps made of Sunbrella can actually contribute to the abrasion of Hypalon or similar inflatable fabrics, but I have no experience to assess the likelihood of that...

Needless to say, I've become a big fan of Stamoid over the years, with the exception of my mainsail cover, all of the canvaswork on my boat is from Stamoid... anyone not familiar with the material should handle a sample of it before making a decision, however, as the look and 'feel' of it differs considerably from Sunbrella...
Stamoid would solve the chafe problem I alluded to. One thing about it though, is it is very "clammy" feeling and could cause slipping if one stepped on a tube when wet.

I have seen sunbrella chaps with lots of stamoid-type material on typical wear points and butt areas before. If we get new chaps, I may consider this. I have also thought of using sailcloth in these areas.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 09:56   #11

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Well done, Karen.

Thank you for taking the time to create and share such a thorough how-to.

Cheers!
Old 05-07-2015, 10:36   #12
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
buy extra hypalon, is appropriate, and reinforce the areas whereon the zippers will be chafing your dinghy pontoons.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 14:36   #13

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
buy extra hypalon, is appropriate, and reinforce the areas whereon the zippers will be chafing your dinghy pontoons.
Good idea, zee.

Ann
Old 05-07-2015, 20:19   #14

Boat: Pearson 530

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
I've found it to easier just to paint the dinghy every year or two with a coat of the special, rubberized dinghy paint that costs $50.
I priced chaps in Mallorca last season, I think the bid came in at 650 euros, so I said no to it.

I bet sewing the chaps was a good lesson in how to make canvas stuff. I wouldn't mind learning to do it.
I used that rubber paint and it got soft and sticky after two winters in Florida. My wife made the chaps because the goo was sticking to our clothes and to us. I tried mineral spirits to take it off with minimal success. Then I was cleaning the bottom and happened to overspray onto the tubes. The paint rubbed off with a soft brush. The cleaner was Totally Awesome I spent 1$ for at the local Dollar Store.

All U Get

Tags
dinghy