Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2016, 12:07   #1

Boat: one off highlander 14 (fisher)
Interesting Video

Well, it's cold, grey and drizzly, and allergies a kicking me about so that I can't hear out of my left ear and am dizzy--so no working on the boat! To pass the time I'm baking high fiber, high protein and high B-Vitamin bread for my expectant daughter (grand kid #10--she'll be called River Serenity Storm when she gets out of there....) and watching videos about sailing small boats.

Here's one from Roger Barnes, who was and may still be the President of the UK Dinghy Cruising Association, on how he sets his boat up for cruising and "living aboard". This guy has forgotten more than I'll ever know about the art, so the Vid is pretty informative.

The thing that surprised me most was he has an electronic chart plotter aboard, and found a way to mount it protected, visible and useful! That, and the battery box, and a creative galley set up!

Enjoy--it's pretty cool! BTW--he favors an old school clinker boat. I guess a fair number of the UK folk do...
DinghyHoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 16:35   #2

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40
Re: Interesting Video

Cool, thanks for sharing. Notice also that he still carries paper charts... Neat little setup. I wonder what sort of anchor he uses?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 08-04-2016, 20:48   #3

Boat: one off highlander 14 (fisher)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpetrel View Post
Cool, thanks for sharing. Notice also that he still carries paper charts... Neat little setup. I wonder what sort of anchor he uses?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
It looks like he favors what we would call a "fisherman" anchor...Frank and Margaret Dye modified their's.... .

I've never used a chart plotter--but paper chartws seem to me to be pretty easy to use to plan...GPS was a finicky and undependable thing, when I first used it. (In the Army [Artillery, sir! If you please!]) in the 80s, so I've never been comfortable with chart Plotters.

I've always favored a Danforth--but over sized--like 8# for a 14-17 footer... . I would like to figure out anchors, some day...

I have some thoughts on his tent, as well--but well, he's a bit more experienced than me, so I'll keep quite. Nothing like experience to put theory in it's place.....
DinghyHoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 21:36   #4

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only

At least he is not going to drag anchor in the field!
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 07:33   #5

Boat: IP 370

Wonderful thank you for posting. Loved the animal chorus in the background! I worked with Yves Gélinas over a year ago to restore and transfer his poetic film "Around the World With Jean Du Sud" to HD. It is available on the Sailing Channel. I get no renumeration from it, a project of passion. You might enjoy it if you have not seen it already.

Fair winds
Tacky is offline   Reply With Quote