Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2005, 13:53   #1

Interior fabric suggestions

Looking for some feedback on what people like for fabric down below. Any recommendations??

Type of material?
Pattern?
No pattern?
Smooth?
Textured?
Brand types?

Juli is at the stage of starting to look at stuff and we would love some opinions from you guys who either love theirs or hate it and why?

Thanks
By Invitation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 15:04   #2
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
I have sunbrella for interior fabric.

It is strong, easy to clean and comes in a variety of colors.
(Got aqua on the inside, goes good with varnished teak and egg-shell paint, in the cockpit also sunbrella in captains navy blue)

The facric is 12 years old and after previous owners have lived onboard for 5 years, and I have cruised part time for over 6 years
with numerous "accidents" such as spilled red wine and chocolate sauce, the fabric loooks brand new...Highly recommended.
CSY Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 00:46   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
As my canvas guys says the thing to look for is 100% Olefin this will survive marine use even if not a true marine fabric. Olefin is a man made fibre that is good in outdoor situations. Moisture is a key factor and natural fibres suck. If you can find a reasonable fabric like this it will work well.

My canvas guy did some cushions out of denim for some folks and cursed the whole time he made them. He knew they wouldn't last buut they thought they would save money<g>. Don't use fabric that can't take the environment.

For exceptional good looks Sunbrella has serveral fabrics that are woven patterns. They look super expensive but the same price as plain sunbrella. We did 21 cushions 5 for the cockpit and the rest below. We did a grey weave pattern with red piping in the cockpit and a grey shell pattern with light background below. This stuff wears like iron and cleans easily. That is what you want! It looks very nice too. Dark colorsdon't look good IMHO.

Last advice is the cushion material. We have thick closed cell foam, 2.5 inches on the seats and 3 inches on the bottoms you can sleep on. The cushions are more than 20 years old and feel like new. Thick closed cell foam is expensive (very) but it lasts forever. It even works as a throwable floatation device but don't throw em they cost so darn much<g>. The cushion counts more than the fabric and costs more than the fabric too. You need deep pockets for all new cushions inside and out.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 10:48   #4

Boat: 2004 Manta 42 - Perseverance
We have ultraleather on our settee cushions, and we love it. I realize that the fabric is more expensive, but unless you manage to rip it somehow (and that would take a lot of work), it is exceptionally durable and cleans up with mild soap and water. And unlike the old Naugahyde-type imitation leathers, ultraleather does not get hot and sticky when the temperature rises. It is sooo soft and comfy.
Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 21:43   #5

Boat: Hartley 32 RORC; Vixen
Sunbrella Fabric

If I'm not mistaken (occasionally I am), Sunbrella has good UV resistant qualities as well.

Cheers

Steve
Steve Kidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 18:43   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Sunbrella is a good fabric and they also make fabrics more suited for sitting on that share many of the good things the canvas application Sunbrella is more known for. There are more colors and patterns.

Price wise I think you'll find the decent stuff sells at about $35 / yard (more on a wider rolls). You can spend a lot more bt it gets into styles and limited runs that just cost more but won't really work any better. Large patern repeats add more wast so they in a way cost more.

All the Sunbrella stuff will work below or in the cockpit. You can find 100% Olefin for maybe $10 - 15 / yard less than Sunbrella.

When you add up the costs to make anything the price of the fabric gets to be a small percentage. So pick something you like!
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 17:56   #7

Boat: Saugeen Witch, Colvin design vessel name: Witchcraft
Olefin is treated so that it resists sun ( or should be) and does not mind damp circumstances, which makes it mildew resistant. Check with the manufacturer to confirm the UV protection ( all are not treated equally)
We used a leather type material for the underside of the main saloon cushions as a further combat to mildew issues. Go with the best foam and materials you can afford.
Some folks say stripes on the material will make some persons seasick. I dont know about that, but something to consider I suppose.
Happy decorating
Witchcraft
witchcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 18:18   #8

Boat: Viking 33 Tanzer 8.5m Tanzer 22
Fabric

Polar fleece. May have a different name in different parts of the world. Makes a good horse blanket, works well for blankets. The stuff does not mind the moisture as much as other fabrics. Cushions need to breath so it is best to use fabric. But vynal can be wiped clean with a damp cloth. If the bunks are relativley dry use all fabric, or use fabric for the top and sides and vynal for the bottom. Polar fleece does not fray as much as other fabrics, which is good. It comes in many patterns and colours. You can also make a nice vest with it. It sews easier than vynal.
Michael
BC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 12:05   #9

The best covers we used were waleless corduroy`

Nylon, from an automobile upholsterer. Wick water away, soft, never sticky, wash really easily. Check it out by going to your local auto dealer. Usually the higher-end cars will have either leather or corduroy upholstery (well, used to be that way, anyway).

For interior cushions you don't have to worry about UV resistance. You want something that's comfortable and easy to care for. If you're in the tropics, it's wise to wash cushions and covers at least once a year.

Just as good would be the pseudo-suede - ultrasuede, I guess. It is wonderful, but probably a bit pricier than corduroy.
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fabric, interior