Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-07-2007, 16:09   #1

Internet at Sea

I hope this isn't too obtuse a question, but is there anyone out there who has experience with an INTERNET OS (operating system), at sea?, that could keep me connected ? which would you consider a good one to get for constant communication and what perifials would you also recommend . sorry , but I'm a landlubber worm attempting to MORPH into a sea going MONARCH . Even Morpheus will be had pressed to sing my praise when I emerge from my cricilis! lol
lotuseker
lotuseker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2007, 16:13   #2

I hope this isn't too obtuse a question, but is there anyone out there who has experience with an INTERNET OS (operating system), at sea?, that could keep me connected ? which would you consider a good one to get for constant communication and what perifials would you also recommend . sorry , but I'm a landlubber worm attempting to MORPH into a sea going MONARCH . Even Morpheus will be had pressed to sing my praise when I emerge from my cricilis! lol
lotuseker
dream as if you'll live forever! live as if you'll die today..............
jimmy dean
Old 25-07-2007, 17:04   #3
cruiser

Boat: Crealock Del Rey 50 Cutter
Thrane & Thrane
Trim50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2007, 17:33   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
I hope this isn't too obtuse a question, but is there anyone out there who has experience with an INTERNET OS (operating system), at sea?
If you are talking about constant internet access at sea then you are talking serious money. Satellite phone or HAM/SSB radio is it and the latter is cheaper but limited to text and weather information at very slow speed. SAt Phone is still slow but you pay by the minute. There is nothing affordable that is as we say on land "fast". There is actually almost nothing at sea that is fast even at a serious price. The US Navy has it so unless you want to join the navy i wouldn't go there.

Half the fun of being at sea is not having access to the Internet. For constant connection you need to stay on land. iF you could not afford it at sea or you wouldn't need to ask. Hideously expensive might be an understatement. A few minutes a day could be VERY affordable. You need to really quantify your need or better yet eliminate as much as possible.

How much would you spend per day or per minute?
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2007, 18:08   #5
cruiser

Boat: Crealock Del Rey 50 Cutter
IP based data and most competitive voice communication over satelliteThrane & Thrane introduces FleetBroadband as the next generation Inmarsat satellite communication system. Thrane & Thrane is well ahead and plans to launch its new FleetBroadband terminals during the fourth quarter of 2007. Building on our vast experience from the Land Mobile EXPLORER family we are not just bringing one but two SAILOR FleetBroadband products to the market – the SAILOR 500 FleetBroadband and SAILOR 250 FleetBroadband.

The new SAILOR terminals represent a quantum leap in terms of marine satellite transmission speeds. SAILOR 500 FleetBroadband has a data speed up to 432 kbps with ISDN capability, while SAILOR 250 FleetBroadband has a data speed of up to 284 kbps.

Important features:
  • Standard IP addresses for e-mail and Internet/Intranet access, including secure VPN connection
  • Streaming IP (Quality of Service; i.e. guaranteed bandwidth)
  • ISDN (SAILOR 500 FleetBroadband only)
  • Voice and data simultaneously
Click here to download the SAILOR FleetBroadband Product Sheet

What is FleetBroadband?

FleetBroadband is a maritime communications service that will provide cost-effective broadband data and voice, simultaneously on the latest generation of Inmarsat Satellites. This next generation service from Inmarsat takes your vessel into the IP era. If you are not quite ready to move to IP, FleetBroadband still supports the core voice and ISDN data capability of our existing maritime services.

Thrane & Thrane - SAILOR FleetBroadband - Satellite Communication - Products - Maritime
Trim50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2007, 04:04   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Trim,

You forgot to mention that this is not a product designed for the single recreational boat. This is basically the same systems that are currently aboard large commercial vessels with a new branded name. It's still the same satellites that have been around for a while.

The bandwidth costs of satellite will never be affordable for the cruiser to have an "always on" connection. The costs under volume pricing are still dollars per minute. That is a down a bit from the original $10 / minute it used to cost, but satellite bandwidth is expensive and will remain so for the foreseeable future. Commercial demand is high and the ability to sell in that market leaves little left for single consumers. Maximum power is rated at 150 watts. At 12 volts we are talking more than 10 amps.

It's all in a cute package but the price tag is not insifgnificant. I couldn't find any pricing. With an annual contract it might be 10's of thousands per year
Old 26-07-2007, 04:08   #7

Pblais,
your information is appreciated . how about when one comes to port , say , the isle of Morea in the south pacific ? one way I hope to generate some enjoyably passive income is to conduct island charter vacations. and my advertising will be on a "SIM" world for resident "DISCOUNTS" . and I would like to keep in touch with potential vacationers. any ideas?
lotuseker
Old 26-07-2007, 04:33   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Visiting yachts may not charter in French Polynesia.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2007, 05:00   #9

Gord May,
REALLY? I had no idea. is there a particular reasons for that rulings?
Old 26-07-2007, 05:17   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Every country provides similar protections to it’s citizen’s and legal residents.
Think “wet back”.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2007, 05:33   #11

GordMay,
as funny as your answer sounds , it makes alot of sense.
thanks.
Old 04-08-2007, 23:13   #12

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
To be honest,..I go sailing to get away from all the attachments to society. But of course that's just me...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 10:30   #13

Boat: hunter sonata
can we make use of cell-phone gprs for data transfer in coastal area?
alex@@ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 10:34   #14

alex@@,
Hey , thanks for asking the same question I would have had I thought of it !!!!!!!!! hopefully some one else of mental worth will read thies posts and reply? lol
thanks again alex@@
Old 05-08-2007, 11:10   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
can we make use of cell-phone gprs for data transfer in coastal area?
With the various services and network types you won't find it useful except in areas local. For example Verizon works well along the east coats but not every place. You have to be quite close to shore as well. Along the ICW would be fine.