Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2024, 15:45   #1

Boat: Custom 28' Power Catamaran
Interpreting WINDFINDER speeds

Not sure if it is just me, but it seems that over time wind predictions have gotten weird.

Specifically, the “speed” and “gust” data seems far off. Like wind is predicted to be 12, with gusts of 27, or similar.

What does that mean? Should I plan on 12 or close to 30 knots?

I been sailing for many years and don’t have much experience with wind gusting to 2 or even 3 times the regular wind strength….small gusts, sure, but not such a drastic change.

Anyway, this I have noticed on WINDFINDER….whats up with the numbers?

David
Seattle
massnspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2024, 10:16   #2

Boat: 26' Trailer Sailer
Re: Interpreting WINDFINDER speeds

In my area where we have geographic features that channel wind, gusts at 3x the sustained rate isn't uncommon.

For what it's worth, Windfinder probably isn't making any of these calculations themselves, they're just displaying the data provided by the model they're employing, I believe they use GFS. So any service using the GFS data should be showing the same thing.

I do prefer using something like Predict Wind where you can compare the different models, or LuckGrib (the best in my opinion). My practice has been to look at GFS and ECMWF first to identify the overall pattern or larger weather system picture, and then go to the regional models like HRRR or NAM that have much higher resolution, where they can account for the geographic features more accurately. Then I take everything and try to average it all out mentally, understanding that no single model will have it exactly right.

If the forecast more or less agree that the wind will be 15 but gusting to 30, I'm considering calling it a maintenance day. The 15 will be fun but the moments of 30 are more than my little boat can handle.
trswem is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
wind