Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-06-2016, 00:46   #1

Intl med coverage-US citizens

You who are US citizens who are overseas/abroad/expats for an extended time, and carry a medical insurance policy, who is your underwriter?

Is such policy required to be ACA compliant?

How comprehensive is such policy?

If you do not mind, throw out some hard numbers such as premium cost, billing of providers (including pharm for Rx), co-pays, and deductables.

Also, provide contact information of underwriters since my search is coming up short. Thank you.
Richard5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2016, 20:31   #2

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
Re: Intl med coverage-US citizens

When I was started sailing around the world, I got my health coverage for my family for about $2500. Eleven years later on the trip I was paying over $10,000 for the same health coverage.

Things have gotten out of control.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2016, 20:46   #3

I go to Canada regularly. We get a rider or separate coverage over our policy for about $50 a month. For long term cruising, I'd guess it's different.

There are a zillion Amerkuns living overseas, who must have done this. Have you used Google?
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2016, 23:29   #4

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

At 70 y/o we have not been able to find anyone to insure us yet. if you research hard enough there are insurance companies that are groups from various countries that maybe you can join -- some South African friends tired to get me in their plan and was a go until the plan found out I was over 65 then it became a no go
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2016, 01:48   #5

... Hanse Merkur will do up to 75 years of age at least, EUR 210,- / month if you are between 65 and 75 years old (if you book through Preuss Yachtversicherungen - Vermittler fuer Yachtversicherung weltweit - Auslandsreise-Krankenversicherung) valid for max. 5 years.

If you book direct with Hanse Merkur (Langzeit-Auslandskrankenversicherung der HanseMerkur) it will be more expensive.

At 51 years of age I am paying EUR 57,- / month.

Preuss will insure also 'non Germans' if you either have a German Bank account (to collect the monthly fee) or if you pay with Credit card for certain months in advance.

Regards,

Carsten
CarstenWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2016, 14:10   #6

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

We have our US medical insurance plus a medical evacuation policy that would return us to the US in the event of a major problem. The US insurance is the same we have always had and the evacuation insurance is a few hundred bucks a year. (Medex and SOS are two providers)

We have found that every single country we have been to outside of the US has extremely cheap medical care compared to anything you could get in the US or any insurance you could buy. It is far better to simply deal with most routine medical needs "a la carte" wherever you are and rely on the evacuation insurance for anything non routine. (they will fly you and your spouse out on a plane with paramedics to the nearest major hospital in the US or other country with equivalent medical facilities). This has worked very well for us for things like lacerations, an eye infection, routine bladder infections and yeast infections, etc. We have never had an evacuation but know people who have. One got evacuated to Johannesburg in South Africa while in Mozambique and was very happy with the doctors and hospital. Another went to Houston from Central America. The response on the part of the companies were reported to be excellent and very fast.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2016, 14:10   #7

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

We have our US medical insurance plus a medical evacuation policy that would return us to the US in the event of a major problem. The US insurance is the same we have always had and the evacuation insurance is a few hundred bucks a year. (Medex and SOS are two providers)

We have found that every single country we have been to outside of the US has extremely cheap medical care compared to anything you could get in the US or any insurance you could buy. It is far better to simply deal with most routine medical needs "a la carte" wherever you are and rely on the evacuation insurance for anything non routine. (they will fly you and your spouse out on a plane with paramedics to the nearest major hospital in the US or other country with equivalent medical facilities). This has worked very well for us for things like lacerations, an eye infection, routine bladder infections and yeast infections, etc. We have never had an evacuation but know people who have. One got evacuated to Johannesburg in South Africa while in Mozambique and was very happy with the doctors and hospital. Another went to Houston from Central America. The response on the part of the companies were reported to be excellent and very fast.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote