Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2011, 22:48   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailcruiser
If you buy a wifi version you can get a Bluetooth GPS puck as well. There are 3-4 choices I'm aware of.

SC
Can you provide a link to a puck that works with ipad? Does it plug in the apple connector? There is no usb on ipad

Also I cant multi quote on the ipad so...

Is someone intimating that ipad2 has flash capability? AFAIK no flash on any ipad

The ipad is an awesome "incoming media" tool. It is a very weak media creation tool. I could not replace a pc or mac with an ipad.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 23:32   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif

Can you provide a link to a puck that works with ipad? Does it plug in the apple connector? There is no usb on ipad

Also I cant multi quote on the ipad so...

Is someone intimating that ipad2 has flash capability? AFAIK no flash on any ipad

The ipad is an awesome "incoming media" tool. It is a very weak media creation tool. I could not replace a pc or mac with an ipad.
Found 3 gps options.

Anyone have any experience with any of these three?

http://www.marvgolden.com/ipad-accessories/
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2011, 00:43   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by CynthiaP
We use the IPad for backup navigation. The Navionics program can be purchased for as an app for any region in the world, and seems very accurate. You don't need 3G, which won't work as soon as you cross the border to another country without a local sims card. The charts are all downloaded onto your ipad, and the built in GPS finds your location.

If you happen to have internet it will also overlay google earth, and give you a wind direction and forecast wind speeds across the entire region. Royal Langkawi Yacht Club does not show on my chart plotter, and with the IPad it shows which berth we are in! The charts are updated so I am sure they are more accurate then my chart plotter.

We also downloaded a $4 anchor alarm qpp which works great, and gives me peace of mind. I worry about hearing the regular alarm, so I take the ipad to my berth and sleep more soundly.

It is also nice to be able to stick it in the oven during thunderstorms.

Now if they would just design a solar charger for it!

Cheers
Cynthia, are you sure about not needing 3G. To my understanding the wifi only iPad2"s ship without GPS chipset and as such are useless for navigation.
DJBrookster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2011, 07:15   #19

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'
Cynthia, the dual xgps (big red dot in the middle) works great over Bluetooth (wireless with a range of 30ish feet. You can find them on eBay for about $88 with free shipping within the lower 48 states I believe. I don't care for the plug in type because it blocks the charging port although some do have pass through charging it does make things more bulky.

If the iPad is jail broken there are other options as well that are a little more cost effective options that aren't certified to work but do work. Mine currently isn't jailbroken. My maps are all local and wifi is only used at the dock. I don't use the iPad for navigation but it's great for planning. Some people do navigate with them but I'm more of a paper chart person. Less to fail. :-) SC
sailcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2011, 07:36   #20

Boat: Leopard 39 Owners Version
Re: iPad

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJBrookster View Post
Cynthia, are you sure about not needing 3G. To my understanding the wifi only iPad2"s ship without GPS chipset and as such are useless for navigation.
There are other options for external gps... No you do not need the 3G to navigate. Look at the Bad Elf and the Xgps 150. I have thexgps and love it but it is a bit tough on battery life
Privleoplag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2011, 08:32   #21

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Use the iPad2 last season for everything on the boat.
Navigating, route planning, weather, e-mail, all boat manuals, family pictures, make phone calls, read books and magazines, make notes, blog, go on the internet, text message, play music, view contacts and play games.

Never use my laptop anymore.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post684762

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post809727

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post680516

I use an iPad2, 3G, 32 gig, AT&T
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2011, 10:29   #22

Boat: Seafarer 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF
A great Ipad advantage is that it's always "on" and very easy on the ship's batteries.

Other "apps" worth looking at:

Navimatics - US and Canadian charts plus active captain. Very fast. $24

Opentable for restaurant reservations

"Radar Scope" super professional weather radar

"Distant Sun" star maps

Newspapers (if you want to remind yourself why your not ashore)

If it's primarily for boat and home use, I'd consider getting it without 3G - instead see if you can add hotspot "wifi" tethering to your phone. Verizon has the option for Iphone and I think others for $20/month and this includes an extra 2GB of data. ATT has something too. Or consider a separate wifi hotspot to get 4G speeds for all your computers and phones on the boat. 4G is not available everywhere but you get 3G when it's not. My Verizon 4G is $50/month with 5GB of data and I get 18Mbs in 4G areas - faster than my house cable internet.

The one downside of the Ipad is that it doesn't support Flash. I don't find this a problem but make sure you don't depend on some site that requires it.

Carl
Sky fire app for iPad coming which will do flash videos. Works on iPhone now

I just have a hard time seeing a downside to iPad except for heat. Have not figured out that one yet.
Dkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2011, 10:36   #23
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkdoyle

I just have a hard time seeing a downside to iPad except for heat. Have not figured out that one yet.
Here's a few

Not marine grade
Unable to see screen in bright sunlight
Fragile ( don't ask me how I know this )
Useful as a secondary device I wouldnt cross oceans relying on it.
Engineering of a apple gear can be very unreliable ( see iPhone 3,3GS, 4 , etc, wifi issues etc etc)

By all means watch videos on it, as a primarily nav tool, for me , never.

Dave

iPhone,iPad developer
Old 13-12-2011, 10:43   #24

Hey Dave I agree. I have not taken the iPad plunge yet but do have the iPhone. I use the iPhone to backup my garmin. Of course my garmin has been floating (accidently of course). It also doesn't overheat and die like my iPhone but the features of the navionics are so much more useful the the garmin.
Old 13-12-2011, 16:02   #25

Boat: Ericson 35 Mk III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkdoyle View Post

What do you mean by "heat?" Does it tend to overheat or just not handle hot conditions well (an issue on a boat here in Florida)?
SVMorningStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2011, 16:17   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

I’ve run mine for DAYS in the South Florida heat with NO issues.... That said it was always under the Bimini. I set up a LAN on the boat and everything interfaces via the network, only the power comes in by wire.
Old 13-12-2011, 16:55   #27

Boat: Pilgrim 40
Send a message via Yahoo to nitpik Send a message via Skype™ to nitpik

"Engineering of Apple gear can be very unreliable"
Sorry Dave, can't let THAT one slide!
It is a fact that all electronic gear can fail, and I would agree that relying on only one device for navigation (or any other important item on a boat) is a bit foolish. However, regarding Apple gear reliability, the engineering from Cupertino has proven over the years to be, on average, far more reliable than the competition. Just ask people in the computer repair business. Just ask any major corporation tech. department about the enormous costs of computer downtime. (and what type of computers are they using?)
Just ask the thousands of people who have used computers from both camps over the years. Just ask the companies who annually survey customers about user satisfaction, software and hardware failures, etc. The evidence is there, and it is quite clear.
I know you said: "don't ask me how I know", but I am curious, what did you do to break that poor iPad? Considering it's size, weight and thickness (thinness?), and the fact that it has a thin sheet of glass on it's face, I find it remarkably robust. Of course they could make it tougher, but is supposed to be a light weight, mobile device.
Not marine grade? - agreed, but then lots of marine gear is not marine grade either, and many sailors are happily using netbooks and laptops that are not marine grade either.
Agree on the lack of sunlight viewable screen, but again, many people are using laptops for navigation, without this feature.
I think we can agree we'd all be happier if Steve Jobs had been an avid sailor!
My paper charts are my primary navigation tool, but in my cockpit (with no dodger or bimini) my shaded iPad 1 is King!
Old 13-12-2011, 17:15   #28

I have had my iPhone shutdown on me from heat in the summer. It needs to be in the shade on 98 degree days.
From an apple support forum:
Correct AnswerRe: Ipad 2 heat issues ??
May 10, 2011 2:09 PM (in response to Ezio0021)
30-35 degrees C is within the recommended operating temperature.

Will you be using the iPad outdoors constantly or most of the time each day?

High temperature is more detrimental to the battery than anything else including when the device is not being used and is powered off such as regularly leaving an iPad in a parked vehicle on a hot summer day.

The iPad includes heat protection for the battery. If the internal temp exceeds a designated temp while powered on, a warning message will be provided. If the internal temp is not reduced within a short period of time, the iPad will power off automatically.

You may want to consider a white iPad if you plan on using it outdoors regularly. White will help with direct sunlight vs black.

Message was edited by: Allan Sampson
Old 13-12-2011, 17:25   #29
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitpik
"Engineering of Apple gear can be very unreliable"
Sorry Dave, can't let THAT one slide!
It is a fact that all electronic gear can fail, and I would agree that relying on only one device for navigation (or any other important item on a boat) is a bit foolish. However, regarding Apple gear reliability, the engineering from Cupertino has proven over the years to be, on average, far more reliable than the competition. Just ask people in the computer repair business. Just ask any major corporation tech. department about the enormous costs of computer downtime. (and what type of computers are they using?)
Just ask the thousands of people who have used computers from both camps over the years. Just ask the companies who annually survey customers about user satisfaction, software and hardware failures, etc. The evidence is there, and it is quite clear.
I know you said: "don't ask me how I know", but I am curious, what did you do to break that poor iPad? Considering it's size, weight and thickness (thinness?), and the fact that it has a thin sheet of glass on it's face, I find it remarkably robust. Of course they could make it tougher, but is supposed to be a light weight, mobile device.
Not marine grade? - agreed, but then lots of marine gear is not marine grade either, and many sailors are happily using netbooks and laptops that are not marine grade either.
Agree on the lack of sunlight viewable screen, but again, many people are using laptops for navigation, without this feature.
I think we can agree we'd all be happier if Steve Jobs had been an avid sailor!
My paper charts are my primary navigation tool, but in my cockpit (with no dodger or bimini) my shaded iPad 1 is King!
For the price you pay for their PCs and laptops you'd expect better engineering and in fact I've no issue with the iMac, mac mini etc. but their low cost consumer items have not proven so reliable. Especially iPhone,iPod 3,3GS which has suffered numerous problems ( youtube is full of solutions) not to mention various "bricked" iPods of various types. Sorry it's not a pretty picture.

Dave
Old 13-12-2011, 17:40   #30

Boat: Westsail 32 and Herreshoff 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by CynthiaP View Post
We use the IPad for backup navigation. The Navionics program can be purchased for as an app for any region in the world, and seems very accurate. You don't need 3G, which won't work as soon as you cross the border to another country without a local sims card. The charts are all downloaded onto your ipad, and the built in GPS finds your location.

If you happen to have internet it will also overlay google earth, and give you a wind direction and forecast wind speeds across the entire region. Royal Langkawi Yacht Club does not show on my chart plotter, and with the IPad it shows which berth we are in! The charts are updated so I am sure they are more accurate then my chart plotter.

We also downloaded a $4 anchor alarm qpp which works great, and gives me peace of mind. I worry about hearing the regular alarm, so I take the ipad to my berth and sleep more soundly.

It is also nice to be able to stick it in the oven during thunderstorms.

Now if they would just design a solar charger for it!

Cheers
Would you share the name of he anchor alarm app with us?
Thank you.
endoftheroad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Ipad