Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-12-2011, 17:41   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo
Re: iPad

My iPad is in an Otterbox Defender.. both are black... it has never shut off or displayed a heat warning. Of course Key West is only SUB-Tropical
Old 13-12-2011, 17:45   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkdoyle
I have had my iPhone shutdown on me from heat in the summer. It needs to be in the shade on 98 degree days.
From an apple support forum:
Correct AnswerRe: Ipad 2 heat issues ??
May 10, 2011 2:09 PM (in response to Ezio0021)
30-35 degrees C is within the recommended operating temperature.

Will you be using the iPad outdoors constantly or most of the time each day?

High temperature is more detrimental to the battery than anything else including when the device is not being used and is powered off such as regularly leaving an iPad in a parked vehicle on a hot summer day.

The iPad includes heat protection for the battery. If the internal temp exceeds a designated temp while powered on, a warning message will be provided. If the internal temp is not reduced within a short period of time, the iPad will power off automatically.

You may want to consider a white iPad if you plan on using it outdoors regularly. White will help with direct sunlight vs black.

Message was edited by: Allan Sampson
This exactly happened to me inThailand a couple of weeks ago. Low tide, narrow channel. All of a sudden no chart info! It was not our primary means of navigation but it became instantly unavailable regardless.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2011, 17:49   #33

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Re: iPad

Quote:
30-35 degrees C is within the recommended operating temperature.
Those are not unusual temps., even in the shade.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2011, 18:41   #34

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif

Can you provide a link to a puck that works with ipad? Does it plug in the apple connector? There is no usb on ipad

Also I cant multi quote on the ipad so...

Is someone intimating that ipad2 has flash capability? AFAIK no flash on any ipad

The ipad is an awesome "incoming media" tool. It is a very weak media creation tool. I could not replace a pc or mac with an ipad.
Sure ex-California, this is one of many sellers on eBay that has it. I was just happy with their service:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dual-Electro...ht_4191wt_1028

It can be found elsewhere too but just a tad cheaper here. (no affiliation other than happy customer)

Also certified I'd the Bad Elf gps puck but I haven't used it personally.

Neither plug into the iPad directly but use a Bluetooth connection so the iPad can go below and still have a good position with the puck up top. Bluetooth has a range of 33 feet in ideal conditions.

Skyfire does some sort of conversion but I've never used it. SC
sailcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2011, 18:50   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailcruiser

Sure ex-California, this is one of many sellers on eBay that has it. I was just happy with their service:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dual-Electro...ht_4191wt_1028

It can be found elsewhere too but just a tad cheaper here. (no affiliation other than happy customer)

Also certified I'd the Bad Elf gps puck but I haven't used it personally.

Neither plug into the iPad directly but use a Bluetooth connection so the iPad can go below and still have a good position with the puck up top. Bluetooth has a range of 33 feet in ideal conditions.

Skyfire does some sort of conversion but I've never used it. SC
I liked the elf cuz it is powered by the ipad but decided the ability to leave the buck in good reception is more important.

I read one review that said the xbs150 can be hard on battery. But that's one review and I can power/charge on board.

It is down to that or this one - http://www.marvgolden.com/gns-5870-m...nd-ipad-2.html

I am leaning towards gns5870 and wanna order in a day or so in hopes I can pick it up over christmas.
Old 13-12-2011, 19:26   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by endoftheroad

Would you share the name of he anchor alarm app with us?
Thank you.
The higher rated one of iPhone apps is $3.99. It's by MSTApps Anchor Alert. There is a HD version for the iPad too but the app isn't universal. There appear to be quite a few available but this one will be on my I-devices for next season. SC
Old 13-12-2011, 19:36   #37

Quote:

I liked the elf cuz it is powered by the ipad but decided the ability to leave the buck in good reception is more important.

I read one review that said the xbs150 can be hard on battery. But that's one review and I can power/charge on board.

It is down to that or this one - http://www.marvgolden.com/gns-5870-m...nd-ipad-2.html

I am leaning towards gns5870 and wanna order in a day or so in hopes I can pick it up over christmas.
Why the gns5780? Are you also a pilot? It seems like overkill to track that fast on a boat but maybe I'm missing something. I'm curious. I'm a big fan of flexibility. SC
Old 13-12-2011, 19:59   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

Why the gns5780? Are you also a pilot? It seems like overkill to track that fast on a boat but maybe I'm missing something. I'm curious. I'm a big fan of flexibility. SC
Yes I am a pilot also but that isn't really why. Its because there are two choices at the same price point. Why not get the "better" specced one?

Also I am an engineer one is red and "glitzy" one is black and serious looking. Guess which one the engineer thinks is better - LOL
Old 13-12-2011, 20:03   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

Yes also a pilot but at the same or similar price point why not get the better specced one.

Also I am an engineer. One is red and "glitzy" and one is black and serious looking. Gues which one the engineer thinks is better? LOL
Old 13-12-2011, 20:33   #40

Quote:

Yes also a pilot but at the same or similar price point why not get the better specced one.

Also I am an engineer. One is red and "glitzy" and one is black and serious looking. Gues which one the engineer thinks is better? LOL
Oh I don't have to guess. =). Make sure to read he amazon.com reviews for this device (or any other). It seems this one may have a few design issues but they may be acceptable to you. SC
Old 13-12-2011, 20:51   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

Oh I don't have to guess. =). Make sure to read he amazon.com reviews for this device (or any other). It seems this one may have a few design issues but they may be acceptable to you. SC
Many thanks for the amazon tip.

I'm gonna go with bad elf. Plugging it into the 30 pin port and using one usb charge cable will keep both units in power.

Either separate unit may require both ipad and gps to have separate power.

Also the gns with no power switch doesnt seem right. So my engineer side says - LOL

I'll let you all know my experience with this impulse purchase...
Old 13-12-2011, 20:57   #42

Quote:

Many thanks for the amazon tip.

I'm gonna go with bad elf. Plugging it into the 30 pin port and using one usb charge cable will keep both units in power.

Either separate unit may require both ipad and gps to have separate power.

Also the gns with no power switch doesnt seem right. So my engineer side says - LOL

I'll let you all know my experience with this impulse purchase...
Please do! I'm an info junkie this time of year (boat is out for he winter) so I was curious about the gps receiver I hadn't seen. I also saw that since I bought my dual xgps150 that Amazon now has it for $80 with free shipping. I look forward to your review! SC
Old 17-12-2011, 18:25   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

Please do! I'm an info junkie this time of year (boat is out for he winter) so I was curious about the gps receiver I hadn't seen. I also saw that since I bought my dual xgps150 that Amazon now has it for $80 with free shipping. I look forward to your review! SC
Well just an update on my incredible impulsiveness...

I second guessed myself again thinking the remote bluetooth option would be better because I could leave the puck upstairs, ipad downstairs when using an anchor alarm and ensure a good gps signal all night.

Then I thought, its nice to just plug the elf into the 30 pin port and it would be great when I travel or go on other people's boats.

Aaarrrggghhh!

I bought both the elf and the xgps150. And a couple of cables, and a couple of chargers...

I reckon the xgps puck will be a "permanent" install on my boat and the elf for travel.

Oh, well.... Merry Christmas to me...
Old 17-12-2011, 18:44   #44

Quote:

Well just an update on my incredible impulsiveness...

I second guessed myself again thinking the remote bluetooth option would be better because I could leave the puck upstairs, ipad downstairs when using an anchor alarm and ensure a good gps signal all night.

Then I thought, its nice to just plug the elf into the 30 pin port and it would be great when I travel or go on other people's boats.

Aaarrrggghhh!

I bought both the elf and the xgps150. And a couple of cables, and a couple of chargers...

I reckon the xgps puck will be a "permanent" install on my boat and the elf for travel.

Oh, well.... Merry Christmas to me...
Lol! I love my xgps150. I've never used a bad elf but I'm not one to bulk things up since I tend to break things that way. (clumsy) I have a ton of chargers too because I tend to forget anything like that I drag around so it's easier to have them strategically scattered. I have cables as long as 10 ft. :-). Let me know what you like for which activities. I do drag the xgps around just because it's he only one I have. I can see my iPad sliding off the seat of he car and landing on the bad elf breaking off the 30 pin connector in the slot. (my luck). SC
Old 17-12-2011, 19:35   #45
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
If you also have a laptop with nav software, check out the Splashtop app that makes the iPad a remote of the laptop. I have MaxSea TimeZero including radar overlay on my wireless Ipad that way!

Also, why pay $88 for GPS when $99 buys you internal GPS plus 3G?

cheers,
Nick.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Ipad