Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2013, 16:08   #1

Boat: Bristol 24
Is a Nissan 4hp 4 stroke a good choice for my Dinghy

I have an opportunity to purchase this outboard for my dinghy. The motor is a 2010 and has seen very little use.

Looking at reviews, some love them, some do not.

Anyone have first hand experience with one? I am supposed to go see the ourboard (with cash in hand) day after tomorrow.....

Dan
Muscongus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 16:43   #2

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: Is a Nissan 4hp 4 stroke a good choice for my Dinghy

I push my Bristol 27 out of the marina with a 5 hp Mercury extra long shaft 4 stroke. It's a great engine. I believe the nissan 4 hp is the same block etc as the mercury 5 hp..............mine 's a 2012
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 16:45   #3

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

I owned a Nissan 4hp 4 stroke for 5 years. Purchased it new and it always ran great. My only issue was the first start of the season I had to use starting fluid to prime it that one time. It had the tank built into the engine, so it had no priming ball like you would use for an external tank.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Nantucket 142.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	182.4 KB
ID:	58474  
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 16:59   #4

Boat: Vd Stadt 34

The small 4stroke Nissan, Mercury and Tohatsu engines are all the same.
I have a 2.5hp mercury, biggest problem is that my girlfriend can't start it
Bregts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 17:13   #5

Thanks for the input - seems it'll be great for the dinghy (and a back up for my b24!).

I have a honda 9.9hp 4stroke on the Chanticleer and have had nothing but good experience with it. I am in hopes that the nissan will perform as well (or atleast close).

The dinghy is a little 8' fiberglass boat I picked up last fall. Going to give my dad his tender back this spring.

Dan
Old 02-04-2013, 17:26   #6

@ thomm225:

How do you like your B27?

So far, I am really enjoying my B24 - amazing room in her for a boat this size and she handles nice. First trip with her, we went through some four foot seas easily.

It would be nice to have a little larger boat (shower, stove - you know), but, I am just hitting my third sailing season and I think she is perfect to learn on.

She's a heck of a lot more boat than my Tanzer 22!

Dan
Old 02-04-2013, 23:13   #7

Boat: Renken 18
My experience is limited, but thus far my Tohatsu 6hp long shaft kicker (same engine as the Nissan & Mercury 4-5-6hp outboards just different carbs as I understand it) it has been bullet proof; I haven't a sour word to say about these outboards. Starts first or second pull from stone cold, & runs strong.
chillly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:31   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
I owned a Nissan 4hp 4 stroke for 5 years. Purchased it new and it always ran great. My only issue was the first start of the season I had to use starting fluid to prime it that one time. It had the tank built into the engine, so it had no priming ball like you would use for an external tank.
When I first got my 5 HP Mercury 4 Stroke it was easier to start with the external tank hooked up and using the priming ball, but after having it a while, I don't run the engine as much but sail practically all the way in and out of the slip.

So I started using the internal tank only. If you put the choke on and pull a few times and it doesn't start (after it has been sitting for a while) just wait about a minute after the first few pulls before pulling again and usually it will start right up on the next pull. Don't forget to open the vent on the tank FIRST! But, I usually start the engine at least once a month all year.
Old 03-04-2013, 03:44   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscongus View Post
@ thomm225:

How do you like your B27?

So far, I am really enjoying my B24 - amazing room in her for a boat this size and she handles nice. First trip with her, we went through some four foot seas easily.

It would be nice to have a little larger boat (shower, stove - you know), but, I am just hitting my third sailing season and I think she is perfect to learn on.

She's a heck of a lot more boat than my Tanzer 22!
I'm enjoying my Bristol 27 and it's a great boat to learn on. I came over to monohulls from racing catamarans so it took some getting used to but I must say I like all the creature comforts as compared to a 16, 17 or 20' catamaran with tramp only to sit on.

I just bought a new solar panel, regulator, and inverter for it for this season. I bought a new main for it last year.

This boat has taken care of me so far in the big waves here at the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay (during strong East and NE winds) when I cross. When I first got it the motion was getting to me and I would be so seasick many times I'd have to rely on the autopilot to get me home while I dry heaved over the side and just made small adjustments but I've gotten used to that motion now ...............it appears.

Btw, I believe some guy sailed a Bristol 24 from Washington to Australia.

Actually it was a Bristol 22.

Here it is from wikipedia:

Notable voyages and sailors:

Bill Wolfram, born 1950, sailed a Bristol 22, We-Tu, from Port Townsend, Washington, to Australia and back, around 2002-2004
Old 03-04-2013, 05:19   #10

Boat: Mirage 32

The gear shift levers on these motors are fragile, be careful you don't lay it down on the wrong side or use to much force when changing gears. Otherwise, a great engine.
Gerry Connolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 13:54   #11

I can't imagine sailing a 22' boat across the pacific! Hard to believe he had enough water on it, not to mention how tough it could be during big storms.

There were a couple guys from Quebec that sailed a tanzer 7.5 (24') from Quebec to France and back. Rook them roughly a month each way.

I would think that a fin keel could be an issue in big, choppy seas. Those tanzers don't have much head room either (my 22' has 4'-9", for instance).

I am doing some small cruises this season. There is a state park here that is an island (Warren Island)- we made reservations and are going to spend a weekend camping with the kids. It'll take five or so hours to sail to it.

I'm also taking my wife to an island with a B&B for a weekend.

I want her to have a love for sailing too.

Dan
Old 03-04-2013, 14:10   #12

Boat: Chesapeake Light Craft Passagemaker, Tyler Craft T42, and 9' RIB.

It's a great little outboard. We have a 2.5 we purchased used for the PMD and it starts and runs smooth. Should push the PMD along nice and fine.

The Mercury, Nissan and Tohatsu are all the same motor minus the obvious cowling changes and a few small features. I think up to about 40HP and then they are different.

Parts appear to be easy to find and the manuals can be found for download online.

Avoid the Chinese outboards on Ebay. I have seen no less than three in dumpsters this Spring.
Ramblingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 18:20   #13

I now own a 2010 Nissan 4hp 4 stroke for the dinghy. Thanks for all the input everyone!

Dan