Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2011, 17:27   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
Jobi,

I did a search on the classic comfort bike at canadian tire and found PEWEE HERMON 1950s retro bikes. These would be perfectly suitable for gravel and dirt roads but i doubt the frames are anything but steel, especially for 150.

If we consider that our engines are mostly iron and steel, then a slight patema of oil and a regular wipe-down with an oily rag; storage in a protected place will probably do nicely. This is even true of a mostly steel bike. Space is always a problem. Our boat is 58 feet and I have no idea where I would store even a disassembled bike - let alone two. I just think I would like to have one for touring. Maybe the best option is to make some local Bahamian happy by renting his Schwinn.

it not that model...its last years supercycle San Juan stretched California style cruiser with spring sadle and wide bars...very cool looking bike and all alloy...I think its liquadation stock??

see this photo of my cockpit (sorry its the only photo I have available) nevertheless from the cabin to the last combing is all open space...24 to 30in deeper then the cockpit floor...when I stand in one of the hatches I am at chest level (I am 6ft) and can easaly mouve frome one side to the other under the cockpit...as for the pazarette with is divided by a solide bulkhead where the combing ends..I can fit my bumpers all my sails and an outboard in this lazarette...compared to a similar boat (alberg 30) she has lots of room...in cabine too!!

I opologise for my boats condition...she was neglected and needs some TLC...unfortunatly I can give her any befor spring...til then counting dodos
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	steve 088.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	429.5 KB
ID:	22693  
otherthan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 17:40   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minggat View Post
Xootr Urban Transport

I would think that a bike could be harder on knees. I dunno.

My 36 ft boat has plenty of big spaces as well. But other things live there. There's weight (yeah, I know, the DiBlasi is not as light as the bikes were) that can accumulate on a cruiser.

Hence, the priority point. What are you willing to do without so you can carry a bike?
my knee injury is common to hokey players...one of the 4 ligaments is totaly cut off and one is half sectioned...cycling is the best exercise I can do...whatever can turn my knee sideways is a nono.

space?? I dont know but I dont like to keep stuff I do not need...I started to ditch off my stuff in preperation to mouving aboard next spring...I can tell you that all my belongings fit in half my doge caravans trunk...never been so light and it feels good.
Old 09-01-2011, 17:48   #18
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
I carry full-size bikes on a rack around the Bay. Very handy.

Will they rust? I wouldn't take a prize road bike, but any thrift store full size bike will ride better than any folding bike, and I don't have to fool with the folding. No, with rinsing, they don't rust so much, and there are world cruisers out there that agree (Dodds, for example). A regular fresh water rinse and lots of oil are recommended. A cover might help too.

Would you use a bicycle? I have heard it said that depends on whether you enjoy riding apart from cruising. I do. If you never ride at home, then you probably won't find them very useful.

Sail Delmarva: How to Carry Bicycles Without Origami
Old 09-01-2011, 17:52   #19
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
i bought 2 dahon folding alloy with stainless rims/spokes 8 speed 2005 marine modle was very disapointed- $500 each and were trashed in 3-4 years-
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 17:54   #20

Boat: Able 50
Whatever bike you get be sure that it has an alloy frame and wheels. You also want a heavy, off road style of frame and tires. Bikes are just brilliant for getting the groceries. There are plenty available.

Here are a few that I found when shopping for mine. Being 6'3" I avoided the ones with small wheels so I can't help there. I wound up with a Dahon Espresso:

The best but $$$$$$$$$ , put your bib on before clicking on this one
velo PASSPORT

There is a Chinese company called San Eagle making bikes that are being sold around the world under different names. This one is alloy and might just be a bargain. On the other hand it might fall apart after 6 months.
Amazon.com: 26" Alloy Double Suspension Folding Bike with Shimano 18 Speed Silver Color: Sports & Outdoors

Montague/Swissbike offer bikes in every price bracket
Montague Bikes | Folding Bike | Pavement | Commuter | Mountain | Travel | Bicycle

Dahon also has a huge range
| Dahon Folding Bicycles and Folding Bike Accessories | Dahon Global

No matter what brand you buy be sure to give the chain, derailleur, hubs a good spray every time you stow the bike. I use Tac2.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 17:55   #21

Boat: 63 ft John Spencer Schooner
is carying a bicycle a good idea

If you want, but it's much easier and more fun to ride them.

dana-tenacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 17:59   #22

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
"is carying a bicycle a good idea"

Yes, but riding it is more fun!

Jim

DANG! Dana-T beat me to it by 4 minutes!
Old 09-01-2011, 18:14   #23
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Get a Trek Soho S, which is a single-speed, aluminum-frame bike with a steel fork. Swap it out with a carbon belt, which will never rust and will never get grease on your pants. Upgrade the saddle, and ask the dealer to fit it out with 700x32c tires rather than the 700x28 skinny tires that the bike comes with.

When the steel fork rusts, switch to a carbon fork. By then they should be fairly cheap.
Old 09-01-2011, 18:25   #24

Boat: Island Packet 45 - Far Niente
Bikes are a great idea

We bought 2 bikes back at the Annapolis Boat Show - check out STRIDA.COM - an amazing bike - small, light, well made, unique design.

We have found them to be indispensable in getting groceries, etc. in the towns we stop along the way. Great exercise too!

JEFF
s/v Far Niente
IP45 #33
JeffGIP45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 18:31   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobi View Post
I was thinking a simple alloy bike easy to take apart and store under cockpit?
anyone doing it...share some tips
I think it is. I'm about to purchase (2) "Sidekick 8"s from Dynamic Bicycles for cruising this season. They aren't cheap at $750.00 each, but I'm willing to pay chat for these bikes. No chain, alloy construction, internal 8 speed Shimano gearing, and folds smaller that many others. For storage, I'll be passing them down through my 24" Lewmar engine compartment hatches on my catamaran, and many bikes will not pass through this opening. I also got a pretty good feeling about them when contacting them by phone. Check them out at Sidekick 8 : Folding Bikes : Dynamic Bicycles. Ken
ravenlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 18:37   #26

We have a Dahon folding bike - alloy. Easy to store on a Cat. Easy to ride - even over bumps. 5 gears are great. Excellent in a marina and will even fit into our dinghy when we go ashore that way. Wouldn't be without one. It's the helmet regulations that are a pain - a shady hat would be much more practical!
Teeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 19:10   #27

Boat: CL16
Question Curious...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenlair View Post
I think it is. I'm about to purchase (2) "Sidekick 8"s from Dynamic Bicycles for cruising this season. They aren't cheap at $750.00 each, but I'm willing to pay chat for these bikes. No chain, alloy construction, internal 8 speed Shimano gearing, and folds smaller that many others. For storage, I'll be passing them down through my 24" Lewmar engine compartment hatches on my catamaran, and many bikes will not pass through this opening. I also got a pretty good feeling about them when contacting them by phone. Check them out at Sidekick 8 : Folding Bikes : Dynamic Bicycles. Ken
...have you (or anybody reading) ever actually ridden one of these things?
IslandMariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 19:16   #28

the thing about bike design is a personal fit...iv been doing alot of cycling in my life...I know that flat mountain bars dont do it for me...I know that spending on bikes is an endless pit, been there...the esentials are confort and a minimum of components...when a bike is used to go and get grocerys or a few water jugs, it dont need 18 speeds or shimano xt...a simple strong and comfortable bike can be had for about $100 new or $50 use...it also stand a better chance of not being stolen if left unatended a few minuts...I love to ride for hours enjoying the ceanery on or of road and not have butt or neck-back pain afterwards...I think a bike would be a valuable tool when I start my sailing life...walking a few miles with 2gal of water is not my idea of fun...doing it with a bike is!!
Old 09-01-2011, 19:28   #29

Boat: Islander 36
a pedal powered water maker....?

Sorry. I'm suffering from acute bordom.
Old 09-01-2011, 20:06   #30

Anyone use the west marine folders? Seems like good value...but would love to hear first hand experience Beckett plinking $400 for a couple.
night0wl is offline   Reply With Quote