Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2011, 12:03   #61
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
42-50+ foot boats and there is no room? It's simply a matter of priorities; what you want to take and what you don't. Whether you ride bikes as a matter of life style.

Space for safety equipment? I cruise with 5 rodes, 3 anchors, fenders, many dock lines, a Seabrake, and inflatable tender, lots of spares and all the rest. And 2 bikes on a 32-foot boat.

Perhaps I am thin on cleaning supplies and old parts, and the many things that accumulate on a boat we don't use. We aggressively clean out the "stuff" that builds in corners.
Old 11-01-2011, 12:56   #62
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
You guys amaze me -- where in the world do you find space to store bicycles on board?!

I could get a couple into my lazarette, but the laz is already full of dinghy oars, fenders, mooring lines, buckets, things for cleaning and washing, shore power lines, kedge anchor & warp, spare lines, water hose, boarding ladder, etc., etc., etc. Modern boats don't have enough deck storage! Especially center cockpit boats!
Mine gets folded up then tied to the ceiling in the forepeak with webbing. Not the easiest of exercises up or down but more than worth it for trips inland and easy shopping.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 13:09   #63

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36
I have a folding 6 speed Dahon in a sailbag lashed to the stays midship. I replaced the tires (Tyres) with higher pressure (90PSI) as I am heavy. It has served me well for 4 years routine maintence and Eureaka "Filmoil" has kept it like new. I can lash a folding trolly to the rear carrier and tow a load of groceries or several cases of beer

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 16:34   #64

Boat: Columbia
50cc razor type scooter

I have wonder about taking the 50cc razor type scooters aboard. They wouldn't take up much space and pretty fun to ride. The bike rack off the back of the boat would definitely be a space saving item and give the option of using full sized bikes. Which sounds pretty good.

Buhrly
buhrly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 21:28   #65

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'
What amazes me, is that people don't know how to store small equipment on a large boat. And then male up stories about boats they have never been on.
As posted earlier, on a no storage CC boat that allegedly has no storage, we manage to store 3 bikes, not folding, just remove the front wheel and put them in the engine room which has plenty of room for probably 3-4 more if we wanted.
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 21:52   #66

Boat: Able 50
Not too many yachts have engine rooms.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 08:37   #67

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'
Only about 25% of cruising yachts I see are CC's, and that is jusr a rough figure that I have noted in my travels..
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 08:46   #68
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Maybe its just down to two different storage methods... those who like it 'Garage Style'.... equipment, lines etc hung and racked so's easily accessable....
or.... the 'There's a hole ... FILL IT' style...
Some just 'need' more space than others...

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 09:29   #69

Boat: Hardin 45 Voyager Alice B., Gig Harbor 10, Orca 7 1/2 sloop, 16' sea kayak
I carried a full size Giant 970 on a 27' and 34' boat for about 10 years, on deck in a zip up plastic bag. I don't anymore, though I still use the bike. The logistics of getting the bikes in and out of the dinghy just got to be a pain. If you have a large enough dinghy, that wouldn't be a problem, mines only an 8' fiberglass and in any seaway, the bikes stayed on deck, wasting space. But bikes are definitely doable and useful in some circumstances.
capnorv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 09:43   #70
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Quote:
Originally Posted by buhrly View Post
I have wonder about taking the 50cc razor type scooters aboard. They wouldn't take up much space and pretty fun to ride. The bike rack off the back of the boat would definitely be a space saving item and give the option of using full sized bikes. Which sounds pretty good.

Buhrly
Actually, just regular razors are great when you have kids. Almost as good as a bike, and tiny.

When I don't carry bikes I still hide one of those; much faster than walking, particularly if you have a sore foot or back.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:26   #71

Boat: 1967 Falmouth Gypsy 24'
Bicycles put the fun between your legs! I want to weigh in on this discussion since I know way more about bicycles than boats, I ran an illicit re-cyclery in my back yard when I was still land based, I have built 20 or more monster bikes (tall stackers, low riders, bakfiets) and have given away at least 200 bicycles in the last 5 years.
Regarding a bike on-board, consider that walking 5 miles to get groceries sucks, cab fare is less food money, carrying 30lbs of laundry even a few blocks sucks. a bike with baskets solves these problems easily.

I had (literally) hundreds of bikes to choose from when I moved onboard, here are some of the things I considered when I chose my single speed 1968 Murry Montery

Small wheels don't handle bumps easily and it takes (me) more energy to get around with little wheels
Rats are attracted to shiny things, an ugly bike is less likely to get swiped.
pre-rusted bikes are already weather protected.
Cables are going to rust fast.... really fast
more moving parts is more crap to break

Waltzing Matilda is only 24' but I still have room to strap a full size beach cruiser on deck
Hillbillyfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 12:15   #72

Boat: Vic Franck Delta 50
I've been trying to find room for my BEHEMOTH bicycle, but I would have to trade in my Amazon 44 and get a barge...

(This weighed 580 pounds when fully loaded for touring, and had 105 speeds. It's now in the Computer History Museum. The name is an acronym for "Big Electronic Human-Energized Machine... Only Too Heavy.")
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	beh-fullsystem-sm.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	150.2 KB
ID:	22765  
Old 13-01-2011, 17:23   #73

Boat: 1967 Falmouth Gypsy 24'
I read the book this man wrote (If I haven't mis-identified the bike), old school geeks and bicycles, reminds me of this guy
* Confessions Online
Hillbillyfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2011, 18:04   #74

Boat: Vic Franck Delta 50
Ah, I read Paul's manuscript ages ago - good stuff!

As to my own adventures... I'm in the process of writing a combo book of the three bike epochs, long overdue!
Old 19-01-2011, 06:38   #75

Boat: 50' sloop
Good morning,

We are also shopping for bikes to carry on board and very interested in others methods and suggestions for bikes, maintenance, storage, and transporting. The thread has been interesting and helpful. Thanks to all of you who've contributed thus far.

Please, could someone show us photos of their engine rooms with bicycles stored within? This seems incredible. The possibility of storing multiple bikes even more so!

Currently, the port cabin berth is the primary available storage for these two (hoped for) bikes. We'd rather not do this and will scour the boat with measuring tape when we return in hopes of discovering a more suitable location.

We just looked at a Raleigh 8I folding bike - 30 lb total wt, 20" wheels, 8 speeds, in hub gears at a cost of $650 each before taxes. :} Anyone have experience with this bike?

Thanks in advance for any assistance offered.

Sailing Mermaid
Sailing Mermaid is offline   Reply With Quote