Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-10-2018, 18:32   #1

Is December a good time to cross atlantic?

From Florida to Bahamas to Azores then south to Cape Verde and back to Brazil?
I am getting different opinions and wondering the best time to cross from West to east and then back again.
widmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2018, 19:37   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Is December a good time to cross atlantic?

Between the Bahamas and the Azores in December you have pretty high odds of catching a cold front and the associated strong winds and big waves. I personally wouldn't choose to do that sail in the winter.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2018, 19:44   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by widmn View Post
I am getting different opinions and wondering the best time to cross from West to east and then back again.
I will only comment on the first two legs of your trip, those I have some knowledge about. But I am sure you will continue to get different opinions, and you will still have to decide for yourself.

One of the problems with giving advice is I have no idea about your boat's design, its condition, motoring range, your experience, or your tolerance for bad sailing conditions. I don't know how long you plan to stop at the various destinations you list. Given unusual answers to those questions, my advice could be quite different. But here goes a first pass...

Getting from Florida to the Bahamas is easy. Getting to the far northeastern corner of the Bahamas will take a bit of windward work, but again, not hard, especially if you can take your time and island hop as the weather allows.

Getting from there to the Azores in December? Ugly. Really ugly.

The Azores are straight upwind from the Bahamas. The normal route to take would involve sailing up and over the normal high pressure system that is parked just west of the Azores. That means sailing north from the Bahamas, usually riding the Gulf Stream, probably as far as 40N, maybe even 45N before you can count on catching westerlies that take you in the direction you want to go.

I don't know about anybody else, but the winter gales in the north Atlantic are very, very much not my idea of fun.

If people are telling you this is a good idea, be sure to get very specific descriptions of exactly what they see the trip looking like and the route they would take, and the time they expect it to last. See if the expected winds support their suggestions. They might know something I don't.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2018, 20:04   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by billknny View Post
I will only comment on the first two legs of your trip, those I have some knowledge about. But I am sure you will continue to get different opinions, and you will still have to decide for yourself.

One of the problems with giving advice is I have no idea about your boat's design, its condition, motoring range, your experience, or your tolerance for bad sailing conditions. I don't know how long you plan to stop at the various destinations you list. Given unusual answers to those questions, my advice could be quite different. But here goes a first pass...

Getting from Florida to the Bahamas is easy. Getting to the far northeastern corner of the Bahamas will take a bit of windward work, but again, not hard, especially if you can take your time and island hop as the weather allows.

The Azores are straight upwind from the Bahamas. The normal route to take would involve sailing up and over the normal high pressure system that is parked just west of the Azores. That means sailing north from the Bahamas, usually riding the Gulf Stream, probably as far as 40N, maybe even 45N before you can count on catching westerlies that take you in the direction you want to go.

I don't know about anybody else, but the winter gales in the north Atlantic are very, very much not my idea of fun.

If people are telling you this is a good idea, be sure to get very specific descriptions of exactly what they see the trip looking like and the route they would take, and the time they expect it to last. See if the expected winds support their suggestions. They might know something I don't.

Well and completed stated.
Old 29-10-2018, 06:34   #5

You folks are fantastic.
So when is a good time to go? Or is there a better route to Brazil in the winter?
widmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2018, 06:44   #6

Boat: 73´ULDB custom ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by billknny View Post

Ditto! Weather close to the Azores in winter can get really, really ugly. You may get lucky, you may encounter force 11 with 35 foot waves. And weather in this region develops quickly, so long time forecasts are very unreliable.
MartinR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2018, 06:45   #7

Boat: 73´ULDB custom ketch

Of course there is a better route to Brazil, through the Caribbean.
MartinR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2018, 06:53   #8
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Is December a good time to cross atlantic?

I have done the trip in early Feb on a Lagoon 420.. or was it a 440.. Sigh!!!
Went over the top of the Bahamas from Ft Lauderdale on a 3 day S'ly period then curved down to the SE once clear of the stream and rode S'lies E'wards before turning N for the Azores.. lots of electric activity in the corner of the Caribe/Bahamas otherwise only one spell of F8ish for about 18hrs.. light winds for the last 400nm to the Azores.
I'd say its doable in a fair boat.

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2018, 07:02   #9

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
You folks are fantastic.
So when is a good time to go? Or is there a better route to Brazil in the winter?
May, June, early July are the typically recommended times to cross to the Azores.

Matt
Old 29-10-2018, 07:11   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinR View Post
Of course there is a better route to Brazil, through the Caribbean.
Not an easy route. It is doable but heading E to SE along the north coast of South America you are bucking very winds that will be right on the nose with strong currents as well until you pass Fortaleza and turn the corner to head south.
Old 29-10-2018, 07:50   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
May, June, early July are the typically recommended times to cross (eastward) to the Azores.
Matt
Indeed.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2018, 08:33   #12

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
As it seems to me you aim to combine going east on the north and back to the west on the south.
These two parts are usually done in two different seasons. The east going leg to the Azores during the spring (April, May?) and the leg back to America in late autumn (Dec, Jan).
In other seaons you may meet unpleasant weather (which may happen in the recommended seasons as well, but chances are much less).
Old 29-10-2018, 08:37   #13

Boat: Nicholson 32 Mk X

Why would you want to do this trip at this time of year?
As others have said, it's doable in the right boat [almost anything is doable with the right boat, crew, knowledge, skills and a bit of luck] but with the greatest of respect, if you have to ask the question, it does rather suggest that you do not have all the necessary requisites noted above as yet. So the short answer is 'no', it is not a viable trip for you in the timeframe suggested.
straightman21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2018, 08:37   #14

Boat: Island Packet 32

If you are serious about this, purchase Jimmy Cornell's book. https://www.amazon.com/World-Cruisin.../dp/0957262647
CaptRory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2018, 08:41   #15

You definitely could use a copy of Jimmy Cornell's World Cruising Routes book aboard. Good luck! World Cruising Routes: 7th edition: 1000 Sailing Routes In All Oceans Of The World (World Cruising Series) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JVAGDQ0..._wNY1BbTV4DVAT
Alberg30Shill is offline   Reply With Quote