Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-07-2014, 06:04   #16

Boat: Skookum 53'
Re: Is it customary to pay for air fare of a volunteer crew that will be sailing

Depends on how bad they/you want them along. If you need them, then pay, if they need you then they pay.
Old 28-07-2014, 09:22   #17

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter
Re: Is it customary to pay for air fare of a volunteer crew that will be sailing

Last time, I got driven to the boat but paid my own way back from the destination. All food and drink between was paid by the owners. Seemed fair to me.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2014, 09:52   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch

I pay all crew expenses for delivery work

If it's a cruise then it's a negotiation, but if your expecting someone to work for free (and deliveries are work) then covering all expenses is normal.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2014, 10:34   #19

Boat: csy 37

I've only done this once. A friend flew out to help me bring my boat home. I paid his airfare and all onboard/boat expenses. Without my asking or expectations he paid our shoreside drinks and meals for the few days before we left.
Sometimes it depends on your relationship level.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2014, 10:42   #20

You have to agree that issue first, is customary to pay the booze, thats for sure.
Weathermelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2014, 13:31   #21

Boat: Nimble Artic 26

On my one trip, the crew made their way to the port however they could, not my problem. First set paid for everything, I just provided the transport. Second set, I paid for food and drink on the boat. One outstanding crew member I bribed to stay on board for the entire trip by paying his airfare at our destination.
Old 28-07-2014, 13:54   #22
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

As has been mentioned it is pretty situation dependent. I have done a number of deliveries with my wife for instance. In most cases I am going as either the captain or experienced crew and expect for my air fair to be covered. I she is coming along for the fun of it I pay for her.

If I am returning a boat from a regatta I raced on the boat at, then it's free for the owner. Unless I was paid to sail at the regatta in which case it's a business transaction.

If I ask someone to bring their boat back for them because I want to do the crossing as a cruise, then I would pay for everything except substantial boat repairs.

I don't tend to think of there being a hard and fast rule. Except that if i am being paid for the work then it's the owners responsability.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 04:10   #23

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmadry View Post
my new to me boat to my home? Will be flying in three friends about 1000 miles from their town to the boat's location. Voyage of approximately 5 days off shore for most of the trip?

Thanks
In the title of the thread you mention that they are "volunteer" crew, so I would think they would expect to at least help out, if not pay all, of the airfare unless you told them or implied that if they helped with your delivery you would pay all expenses. If you needed a certain number of crew and recruited them to come help you, then airfare and pay rates would have been negotiated at that time. It's sort of tough to give you a sure answer without firsthand knowledge of your relationship with them and the role they are expected to play aboard your boat. Are they experienced sailors, are you the experienced offshore sailor or are you expecting one or more of them to teach you about offshore deliveries as part of the bargain? If that's the case, then you should probably pay. I guess the only real answer is, "it depends." At any rate, enjoy!
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crew, sail, sailing