Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2021, 09:00   #31

Re: Is it usual for a marina to want to be added to insurance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV__Grace View Post
Yes, in the U.S. it seems common enough for month to month contracts. In the two times I've been asked to do so I called my insurance company (Boat US/Geico) and had it done on the spot, no charge, easy peasy.
Agreed, in fact my agent usually offers to send the updated paperwork directly to the marina for me.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 09:03   #32

Boat: Cooper Prowler 10m Sundeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdege View Post
I'm looking to rent a slip for my boat, at a marina on a local lake.

The cover letter that accompanied the contract included the following language:

Is it usual for marinas to require that they be listed as "additionally insured"?
I rented a slip in Port Orchard, WA. in November and they required it.
EyeOnAlaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 09:36   #33

Boat: Alerion Express 28

My marina in Sausalito requests it.
DEAN2140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 09:42   #34

Boat: IN Process

This is a normal occurrence. As stated by others it is necessary for long time moorage and not usually required by marinas for short term (transient) moorage. Although here in the PNW sometimes they will just ask for proof of insurance for transient moorage. IE: Insurance Card. Etc.
The real reason for a COI (Certificate of Insurance) with the marina listed as an additional insured is that when the insurance lapses or is cancelled the issuing authority notifies the additional insured(s) immediately. Usually by email and as last resort snail mail. At least that is my understanding.
LostDog88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 09:42   #35

Marinas are increasingly requiring that they be added as a "Named Insured" on your policy. This trend has accelerated as marina consolidators (Safe Harbor, etc.) have expanded their control. This requirement is usually imposed for longer term slip rentals, not generally for transients who are there for only a few days.

There is a critical difference between having the marina listed as a Named Insured on your policy, and having the marina ask you for a Certificate of Insurance. The Certificate is a document from the insurer stating that you do have a policy of insurance in effect. Some marinas ask only for a Certificate. What those marinas don't know, or chose to ignore, is that after presenting them with a Certificate, you could go ahead and cancel the policy, or it may be cancelled by the insurer, for instance, for non payment, and they won't know.

The reason that marinas want to be listed as a Named Insured on your policy is that the insurance company is required to give the marina written notice if your policy is about to be cancelled, so the marina can do whatever they need to do to have you keep that policy current, and if you don't, depending on their dockage contract with you, they can eject you from the marina. Being a Named Insured also covers them under your liability coverage, so if someone is hurt, for example, when your boat explodes at the fuel dock and the injured people sue you and the marina, the marina will look to your insurance company to cover them in that suit.

Note: Being a Named Insured under your policy does not give the marina any right to the proceeds of your other coverages, for instance, for your boat. It only provides coverage under the liability section.

For transients, a good idea is to travel with several copies of your Declaration sheet, which the is first page of your policy which lists the coverages. Often that is enough to satisfy most marinas as to transient - short term - renters.

Greg
gma4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 09:42   #36

Boat: Hinckley Bermuda 40

Our marina (in Texas) has required that they be covered in the result of incidental damage for years. They are a named insured. I have been asked by marinas I have visited over the years for the same coverage. Too often a fire on a boat has resulted in an entire marina including boats being destroyed. Or a boat improperly moored damaging other boats and docks. We get ours through BOAT/US. I don’t it costs much more, if any.
Old 05-01-2021, 09:50   #37

Boat: S2 9.2 30'

In New Jersey, required for my marina winter storage and Yacht Club for sailing season. Not a new requirement.
Rchido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 09:56   #38

Boat: Stamas, 320 Express, 34' LOA

Pretty typical in SoCal!
Ahneema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 10:21   #39

Boat: Westerly Conway 36ft

New one on me. Never (yet) been asked for that. Not in UK or Spain on long term (annual) berthing contracts, or in UK, France, Spain or Portugal for overnight stays or up to 3 months.
My UK home marina just needs a copy of my insurance certificate.
Guess this will come here eventually - I can see the logic. OK if it reduces berthing costs due to reducing the marina's own insurance premiums.
Clivevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 10:55   #40

Boat: CAL-2 30'

Yes, at my marina in Hawaii.
davenrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 10:56   #41
Marine Service Provider

Completely unusual! I wouldn't do it since the have no monetary interest in the asset (vessel) itself. "Named insured" status should be reserved for the owner or owners and any lenders if applicable. Otherwise you and your lawyers will have mess trying to sort out who did what to whom if a law suit emerges. A marina, boat yard, shop, person or crew who works on the boat, even a grocery store, if you bought provisions for the boat and you didn't pay them, has the right to enter and record a Maritime Lein with the US Coast Guard.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 11:06   #42

Boat: Brewer 44' Steel

New normal in Florida. Russ
Old 05-01-2021, 11:39   #43
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Is it usual for a marina to want to be added to insurance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
I think most people are smart enough to understand that is nonsense.
Not if ones a Johnny Foriegner.. if I rent a berth for 6 mths or a year here in Portugal I do not have to make any additions to my Third Party insurance.. nor have I had to in Spain where my basic cover has been all that's required.
There is a world outside the USA.. for example if you are cruising the Med you don't have to present a cruising plan the way foreign Flagged boats are required to in your country.
Much more chill in the Old World.

You can't oppress a people for over 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."
Self defence is not an excuse for murder.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 11:53   #44

Boat: CAL-2 30'

It may be unusual or even nonsense, but you don't have much choice if it is required. My slip is the only one I could find when I bought the boat as there is a waiting list everywhere here.
davenrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 11:54   #45

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Not if ones a Johnny Foriegner.. if I rent a berth for 6 mths or a year here in Portugal I do not have to make any additions to my Third Party insurance.. nor have I had to in Spain where my basic cover has been all that's required.
There is a world outside the USA.. for example if you are cruising the Med you don't have to present a cruising plan the way foreign Flagged boats are required to in your country.
Much more chill in the Old World.
What part of “local lake” (as the OP described his concern) did you confuse with Portugal or Spain?

I think we get “the world” and also that liability laws differ widely but that’s not the issue here
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance