Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2021, 12:03   #46

Boat: 42' Grand Banks M/Y
Re: Is it usual for a marina to want to be added to insurance?

It is standard proceedure in So. Cal. My insurance co. (Markel) sends the appropriate paperwork naming the marina as additional insured without any question or additional charge.
Blaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 12:20   #47

It's lawyers behaving like - well lawyers. If you cause damage in a marina but aren't listed as an additional insured, the settlement between the insurance companies will almost certainly end up the same as if the marina was listed.

But there are situations that hardly ever happen - but the lawyers learned about in law school or continuing education - where it makes a difference. So the lawyers of the marina's insurance company insist on it - and what business refuses to do what their insurance company asks?

If the risk was significant, then you'd have to list the marina on the policy for just one night's stay. Because accidents happen to transients too. But everyone agrees that's too much trouble so the insurance company lets it go.

It's another case where Europe's lawyers don't sit around imagining improbable situations that keep US lawyers better paid.

Geez.....
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 12:27   #48

Boat: Kadey Krogen 38

By adding them as a mutually insured party a minimum of two things transpire. 1) your insurance company can’t sue themselves if an issue arises even if caused by marina 2) if the boat owner fails to notify insurance company of a claim, the marina can file a claim just like the owner.
KadeyKrogen38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 12:29   #49

Boat: Wendon Skylounge 72'

Very common in the US. It effectively prevents your insurer from subrogating against the marina in the event that your boat is damaged as a result of marina negligence (because you cannot subrogate against an insured).

I managed a community dock for a while and we require it there for the same reasons.

~Alan
AlanT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 12:33   #50
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

Quote:
Originally Posted by KadeyKrogen38 View Post
your insurance company can’t sue themselves if an issue arises even if caused by marina.

I don't get it. Seems like if the damage was caused by the marina then insurance should be able to collect on behalf of the insured owner?
Old 05-01-2021, 12:37   #51

Boat: Wendon Skylounge 72'

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
It's lawyers behaving like - well lawyers. If you cause damage in a marina but aren't listed as an additional insured, the settlement between the insurance companies will almost certainly end up the same as if the marina was listed.
The principal effect is that the boat owner's insurer is prevented from subrogating against (Claiming reimbursement for a paid claim from) the Marina even if the Marina caused or contributed to the damage that the boat owner's insurance paid the claim in respect of.

For example a boat is damaged due to allision with the pier. This happened to us in Mallorca when an entire floating pier with 40 or more boats moored, became detached in a storm along with all the boats on it damaging many.

In the above situation the boat owner's insurance would typically pay and then would subrogate against the responsible party (marina). However if the marina is a named insured on the boat owners policy the insurer is unable to subrogate against a named insured.
AlanT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 12:39   #52
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Is it usual for a marina to want to be added to insurance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
What part of “local lake” (as the OP described his concern) did you confuse with Portugal or Spain?

I think we get “the world” and also that liability laws differ widely but that’s not the issue here
Seeing as posters were popping up from all over including Florida I thought it may be valid to mention this is not a worldwide thing.. some may intend to sail further afield one day.
But.. Point taken, in future I will refrain from replying to American posts..
Maybe..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 13:04   #53

we had to do it on the West coast of the US
George_SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 13:42   #54

Boat: Houseboat, 60ft.

Thank God we don't have to do that in our Marina!!
At present I get a 33% no claim bonus ............ if there is a claim on MY policy I want to know about it & have the choice of "no claim" and pay cash to keep my discount!!
BruceS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 14:08   #55

Boat: 55 fleming

Not if you have a have other than a permanent slip. Many now require this now. and often prof of insurance for short term.
wesevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 14:27   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Not if ones a Johnny Foriegner.. if I rent a berth for 6 mths or a year here in Portugal I do not have to make any additions to my Third Party insurance.. nor have I had to in Spain where my basic cover has been all that's required.
There is a world outside the USA.. for example if you are cruising the Med you don't have to present a cruising plan the way foreign Flagged boats are required to in your country.
Much more chill in the Old World.
I think the same could be posed in response. There is also a world outside of Europe. The OP is in the US, and asking. A number of folks in the US have confirmed. Just because it isn't required in Europe is mutually exclusive to the fact that it is common in the US.

It's not required for transient slips. It is often (but not always) required for long term leases.

Admittedly. the New World is not so 'chill'. When accidents happen, people don't take kindly to be told they are financial liable for the damage they incurred by someone else.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 14:48   #57

Boat: Jeanneau 41 DS

Another yes....in So California. No, for transient slips.... except they do want copies of insurance, and boat registration.

Abe
sailingabe41ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 14:58   #58
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Is it usual for a marina to want to be added to insurance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
I think the same could be posed in response. There is also a world outside of Europe. The OP is in the US, and asking. A number of folks in the US have confirmed. Just because it isn't required in Europe is mutually exclusive to the fact that it is common in the US.

It's not required for transient slips. It is often (but not always) required for long term leases.

Admittedly. the New World is not so 'chill'. When accidents happen, people don't take kindly to be told they are financial liable for the damage they incurred by someone else.
Especially if it's the marina staff..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 15:33   #59

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by gma4 View Post
Note: Being a Named Insured under your policy does not give the marina any right to the proceeds of your other coverages, for instance, for your boat. It only provides coverage under the liability section.

I'm not sure that is strictly true.

One benefit a marina has as an additional insured, not mentioned upthread, is that if they damage your boat accidentally the damage is covered by your insurance, just as would be the case if you damage the boat as a result of, say, a mistake while docking. That way, their liability coverage does not have to pay.

Marinas are able to insist upon it, obviously, but it's not a good thing for the boat owner.
Old 05-01-2021, 15:58   #60

Yes our boatyard requires it in MA
searoom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance